News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 940     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

There are several highways in US and elsewhere with much lower safety standards (narrow right shoulder, no left shoulder, short merging lanes, etc), yet much higher speed limits.

Even 401 within GTA is good for 120 speed limit. All merging lanes are 300 m long with a few exceptions and there are wide right and left shoulders pretty much everywhere.
The speed limit would be staying put not because the road can't accommodate faster speed but the volume is too much to support it during most times of the day. 120 to 130 is possible on 69/400 north of Barrie where traffic is light but it's too fast for busy routes where some don't even drive at 100.

Ya Ontario is far too conservative with the highway speed limits. While 110 is an improvement, similar quality roads in Europe are signed at 130 or 140.

The 'Stop 100' movement aimed for 120 which I think is a fair compromise. The original 110 sections were a trial only, and I'd love to see some of them bumped to 120 for another trial.

I was driving on the 412 today and noticed some weird rectangular what I’m assuming are sensors glued into the middle of the lane! Does anyone have an idea of what these might be? I can try to pull a photo for my dash cam, but it won’t be that great.
Probably traffic loops/counters for the ATMS system (connects to the digital sign boards). Pull up a street view if you can.

Probably traffic loops/counters for the ATMS system (connects to the digital sign boards). Pull up a street view if you can.
It's a new addition so not on streetview. I've neeeever seen these elsewhere just the in ground loops cut into the road surface.

1714146334187.png

1714146355865.png

pictures as promised

They might be testing a new type of sensor that has come on the market. Mounted in pairs suggest that they could do counts, speed, volume. etc.
I found the mounting spots interesting, thought maybe they'd put them on the ramps? Didn't notice any in the opposite direction so it probably is a test!

Ya Ontario is far too conservative with the highway speed limits. While 110 is an improvement, similar quality roads in Europe are signed at 130 or 140.

The 'Stop 100' movement aimed for 120 which I think is a fair compromise. The original 110 sections were a trial only, and I'd love to see some of them bumped to 120 for another trial.

We commute to Sarnia occasionally to visit family, and set the cruise at the same speed regardless of whether we're in the 100 or the 110 km/h zones. We're just a lot less nervous about enforcement in the 110 zones...

Anyone have an update on what's going on with the 404 widening north of the 407? This project has been going on for 6+ years now, and it looks no more finished than it did 2 years ago.

Anyone have an update on what's going on with the 404 widening north of the 407? This project has been going on for 6+ years now, and it looks no more finished than it did 2 years ago.
Airport stuff (then they decided it would close down), York/Markham stuff (16th Avenue was redesigned I think).

Back