News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 332     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

I've noticed they have cut all the trees down on either side of the Second Line West bridge (plus where the new collectors lanes will be!!). Is there a date set set as of yet when the bridge will actually come down?

There is such a lack on information on this project, other than the minimal amount of information on the "Southern Highways Program" on the MTO website. Too bad really as it is a very interesting project. Totally changing the face of the entire area! I drive down it every day and it is always exciting to see any bit of progress!

It is a fairly large highway project ($80M) and was just awarded last month, so details like the exact date of the bridge removal are not known yet. But it will be scheduled and advertised well in advance (Highway 401 will be fully closed for a night) and won't be until the Mavis bridge project is complete.

It is a fairly large highway project ($80M) and was just awarded last month, so details like the exact date of the bridge removal are not known yet. But it will be scheduled and advertised well in advance (Highway 401 will be fully closed for a night) and won't be until the Mavis bridge project is complete.

I actually thought the Mavis bridge would have been completed a while ago. I thought it was scheduled to finish earlier, did it get delayed?

I actually thought the Mavis bridge would have been completed a while ago. I thought it was scheduled to finish earlier, did it get delayed?
The work underneath the bridge is complete, they're just finishing up the bridge deck and roadway for Mavis Road. As far as widening the 401 in that area goes, they are ready for construction mobilization.

I'm not looking forward to the Second Line West bridge demolition. It's one of very few safe routes for cyclists to cross Highway 401.

Are there plans for a footbridge here?

Should have been a road instead of just for pedestrians and cyclists.

As if Mavis traffic wasn't bad enough.
Another example of NIMBY and the City not building a grid system.

The resident of Meadowvalle were the main reason to have 2nd line disjointed on the south side of the 401 as well requesting 2nd line be close to traffic since it was interfering with local historical village of Meadowvalle.

Hazel was frustrated with the residents of Meadowvalle since they keep flip flopping as to what they wanted to the point it was too late to put in a new 2nd line road bridge. The 2nd line was cut up on the south side without tearing the community down to do it when they wanted it.

Even the EMS had issues closing this road off.

They will be building Creditview over the 401 or is it under it since I lost track of this one.

Another example of NIMBY and the City not building a grid system.

The resident of Meadowvalle were the main reason to have 2nd line disjointed on the south side of the 401 as well requesting 2nd line be close to traffic since it was interfering with local historical village of Meadowvalle.

Hazel was frustrated with the residents of Meadowvalle since they keep flip flopping as to what they wanted to the point it was too late to put in a new 2nd line road bridge. The 2nd line was cut up on the south side without tearing the community down to do it when they wanted it.

Even the EMS had issues closing this road off.

They will be building Creditview over the 401 or is it under it since I lost track of this one.

Creditview currently goes over the 401. Never heard of any plans to move it below...

Creditview itself has gotten more and more disjointed over the years. It was never good, but it's gotten slaughtered over the years, both in Brampton and Mississauga. You can hardly call it a continuous road anymore. And Second Line is being destroyed as well.

Yes, let's funnel everyone to Mavis Rd and Mississauga Rd. Great idea.

^ The way Creditview was built was a mistake. I have no idea why Creditview was joined to Meadowvale Blvd. with Financial Dr. built over the 407 instead. I know that connecting the two sections was a no-go due to environmentalists not wanting to cross the Credit River (which the northern segment is east of), but that was no excuse not to extend it over the 407 to Steeles. It was a big blunder caused by the lack of communication between the road planners of Mississauga and Brampton.

Creditview ultimately does cross the 407 via Meadowvale Blvd and 5th Line/Heritage Rd.. but that combination is useless as a practical arterial because it swings over two concessions. If anything Glen Erin Dr. should have interlined with 5th Line.

As for 2nd Line, it was closed and replaced with Mavis to preserve Meadowvale Village. And with Mavis eventually curving to join 2nd Line at Steeles, it was expendable, as there wouldn't be whole lot of traffic coming from north of the 401 anymore to warrant the expense of a new bridge.

This just in… (not news necessarily, just the official announcement):

News Release

Ontario Widening Highway 401 in Mississauga
April 15, 2016

Project Part of $2.1 Billion in Road and Bridge Construction Across Ontario
Ontario is widening the four-kilometre stretch of Highway 401 from Hurontario Street to the Credit River in Mississauga from six to 12 lanes. One of more than 230 highway construction projects starting this year, the 401 expansion will improve traffic flow and support 800 construction jobs.

Premier Kathleen Wynne was in Mississauga today with Transportation Minister Steven Del Duca to announce the start of construction on the $81-million project. This stretch of the 401, which is targeted for completion by fall 2019, will have 10 general purpose lanes and two High Occupancy Vehicle lanes.

Ontario is investing more than $2.1 billion in road and bridge construction projects this year, creating or sustaining more than 21,000 jobs.

Widening Highway 401 is part of the largest infrastructure investment in Ontario's history -- about $160 billion over 12 years. This investment is supporting 110,000 jobs every year across the province, with projects such as roads, bridges, transit systems, schools and hospitals. In 2015, Ontario announced support for more than 325 projects that will keep people and goods moving, connect communities and improve quality of life.

Investing in infrastructure is part of the government's economic plan to build Ontario up and deliver on its number-one priority to grow the economy and create jobs. The four-part plan includes investing in talent and skills, including helping more people get and create the jobs of the future by expanding access to high-quality college and university education. The plan is making the largest investment in public infrastructure in Ontario's history and investing in a low-carbon economy driven by innovative, high-growth, export-oriented businesses. The plan is also helping working Ontarians achieve a more secure retirement.​

Well well well... 5 years later and it's finally happening. Good to see so many cars still using the bridge.
second line.jpg

Attachments

• second line.jpg
    second line.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,129

Back