News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 694     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

The reason why it is called 413 in planning circles is because 401+6 = 407. 407+6=413. It's a bit of an inside reference, so called because it would be the third "bypass" for Toronto.

There's also no reasonable names that could be given from an existing highway, like 410 or 427.

Last edited:
The reason why it is called 413 in planning circles is because 401+6 = 407. 407+6=413. It's a bit of an inside reference, so called because it would be the third "bypass" for Toronto.

There's also no reasonable names that could be given from an existing highway, like 410 or 427.
Waitwaitwait, wasn't the 407 named after Highway 7, which it was supposed to be relieving?

Oh okay well as long as there's some reasoning behind it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not superstitious at all. I just think it doesn't sound good.

Irrespective of what this proposal might called, I'd like to see that it is NOT built.

Its yet another sprawl inducing, pollution promoting monstrosity blighting the landscape. :mad:

I don't think highways are evil, but I think it is self evident that they do promote sprawl and their construction, primarily through greenfield areas, should be done selectively, carefully, sparingly as a last resort, where intensification is clearly insufficient to meet growth/demand and where other solutions that are less polluting or sprawl promoting are not feasible and/or have already been implemented.

If it is a MUST to serve this corridor with new infrastructure, I want a freight rail line first, then passenger/commuter service if demand warrants, second.

Only once that is exhausted should a new highway even be considered.

An ROW big enough for a highway could be protected for, but used for the rail corridor FIRST, then have a highway added later if absolutely necessary.

The building of new highways has never resulted in less traffic or better planning, I don't see this changing now. I would like to see what little countryside we have left in the GTA preserved.

Waitwaitwait, wasn't the 407 named after Highway 7, which it was supposed to be relieving?

Isn't that the case? 417 in Ottawa relieved Hwy 17, 416 relieved 16, 427 did 27, etc!

Since the highway may be replacing/relieving Mayfield (CR 14) it maybe should be named 414?

Isn't that the case? 417 in Ottawa relieved Hwy 17, 416 relieved 16, 427 did 27, etc!

Since the highway may be replacing/relieving Mayfield (CR 14) it maybe should be named 414?
Ok ok thought so :)

I totally agree with you, Northern Light. This is almost assuredly going to result in more sprawl, and that money could easily be invested into more transportation infrastructure.

While I'd prefer option 2, I feel that 3-1 assuming there would would probably be more realistic, as long as there is either paralell GO train service on the CP line or bus bypass shoulders on the 401 to Square One. I don't see the sense of cutting anything else through the escarpment unless its a high speed rail line. I also don't see how you could justify the additional highway traffic to Kitchener via Guelph on land that really shoudn't be developed.

Maps of the top two recommended alternatives were recently released. The recommended options include widening existing highways but the difference currently under study during the EA is whether to connect Highway 400 to Highway 401 with a new corridor to the east of Milton, or to the west. The terms of reference for the GTA west corridor EA were approved in March 2008. The study is reviewing option to enhance the transportation corridor from Highway 400 through Peel and Halton to the Guelph area and connect to the 401.

The first option includes widening of existing highways and a new corridor from Highway 400 to Highway 401 east of the Town of Milton. The second option is just west of Milton. The proposed corridor would include six lanes between highways 400 and 427 and four lanes between Highway 427 and the connection to Highway 401. Early estimates put the cost between $4.5 and $5.1 billion. When the transportation development strategy is done the second phase of the EA will be initiated for the preferred alignment of the GTA West Corridor.

Is this a detailed corridor design, or just the general alignment as seen in previous PICs?

PIC round 5 was in June
http://www.gta-west.com/consultation.html#pic

display boards
http://www.gta-west.com/pdf/6-11-12/1 - 6720 GTA West PIC 5 Panels-June 11 2012.pdf

To 2031
Moving Forward – Highway 401 Widening (west of James Snow Parkway)
The Highway 401 Widening to 12 lanes (west of James Snow Parkway) is recommended to be pursued as a new Class EA; commencement of this EA Study is to be determined. This is similar to other proposed widenings on 400-series highways as part of the GTA West Study where the need, timing and lane requirements will be reviewed and confirmed again during the Class EA Studies using the most current information at that time.

• The current Class EAs for Highway 401 Widening (from Trafalgar Road to Regional Road 25, and from Credit River to Trafalgar Road) is recommended to proceed and be completed as planned

Moving Forward – New Corridor (from Highway 400 to Highway 401/407ETR)

Based on findings from the additional analysis, the new GTA West Corridor is proposed to terminate at the Highway 401 / 407ETR Interchange. The Preliminary Route Planning Study Area in the Halton area has been updated and is shown below.

• Planning for the new GTA West Corridor (from Highway 400 to Highway 401 / 407ETR) is recommended to be continued into Stage 2 of the current Individual GTA West EA Study for Route Planning and Preliminary Design

preliminary route planning study area
http://www.gta-west.com/pdf/6-11-12/5 - Preliminary_Route_Planning_LARGE_June52012 11X17.pdf

I'm kinda confused by the display boards. So is a new highway from the 400 to 401/407 Interchange recommended?

Back