News   Apr 24, 2024
 248     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 334     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 667     1 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

^Check out the lighting that starts on slide 81. Considering how long and dark our winters are and how bleak this area is, lighting can compliment the physical design and transform the pedestrian experience. I like what is being proposed.

The work on the Gardiner is starting, the Public Works Committee will, presumably, approve awarding this contact on June 8th 2018. See: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2018.PW30.3

The scope is:

Contract No. 18ECS-TI-01GE is the first contract for the rehabilitation of the Expressway using the implementation approach approved by City Council in December 2016. There is an urgent need to award this contract because the "elevated" section of the Expressway between Jarvis Street to Cherry Street is at the end of its service life and is an immediate first priority for rehabilitation.

The scope of work for Contract No. 18ECS-TI-01GE involves replacing the 1.1 kilometres of concrete deck and girders of the Expressway between Jarvis Street and Cherry Street, replacing the westbound off-ramp at Sherbourne Street and the eastbound on-ramp at Jarvis Street, rehabilitating the westbound off-ramp leading to Yonge, Bay and York Streets, and installing new street lighting along the Expressway and ramps. Construction is planned to commence in the Fall of 2018 and be completed by the end of 2020.

The cost is 'quite high":

The total value of the construction contract award for Contract 18ECS-TI-01GE, Tender Call 1-2018, for the F.G Gardiner Expressway Rehabilitation Project: Section 1 - Jarvis Street to Cherry Street, including a contingency amount of $60,000,000, is $308,531,227 net of all applicable taxes and charges, $348,640,287 including HST ($313,961,377 net of HST recoveries).

In addition to the large cost I predict HUGE traffic disruption!

I may be a conspiracy theorist, but I strongly believe that the only reason 'there is an urgent need to award this contract' is so that next council won't be able to cancel this whole Gardiner debacle (ie, change course and remove it).

I may be a conspiracy theorist, but I strongly believe that the only reason 'there is an urgent need to award this contract' is so that next council won't be able to cancel this whole Gardiner debacle (ie, change course and remove it).
It actually IS in danger of falling down but I think your reason is just as important!

The scope of work for Contract No. 18ECS-TI-01GE involves replacing the 1.1 kilometres of concrete deck and girders of the Expressway between Jarvis Street and Cherry Street, replacing the westbound off-ramp at Sherbourne Street and the eastbound on-ramp at Jarvis Street, rehabilitating the westbound off-ramp leading to Yonge, Bay and York Streets, and installing new street lighting along the Expressway and ramps. Construction is planned to commence in the Fall of 2018 and be completed by the end of 2020.
In addition to the large cost I predict HUGE traffic disruption!

It will be reduced to two lanes (from four) in each direction for 2 years or so. Shouldn't be as bad as when the western part from Jameson to Spadina had lane reductions. Some ramps will have full time closures though, could make finding a detour painful.

It actually IS in danger of falling down but I think your reason is just as important!

If it was in danger of falling down, it would've been closed off. There would probably be jail time for several people if it was known that this danger existed and the city chose not to do anything about it. But we might get to that point if it isn't rehabilitated soon.

Anyways, it's been three years (minus six days) since city council voted to repair/realign the Gardiner, and more than two years since they settled on the actual plan. They're not rushing anything (unless we live in Mitch McConnell's world where governments aren't allowed to do anything within a year of elections, just in case the opposition wins the election).

Their current timeline from Waterfront Toronto is 2018-2020 for the Rehabilitation and then 2021-2025 for the realignment.
Gardiner Realignment.JPG

Attachments

• Gardiner Realignment.JPG
    Gardiner Realignment.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 1,847
It's fascinating since essentially the entire area is going to be completely rebuilt over the next 7 years.. Going to be fun to watch.

It's fascinating since essentially the entire area is going to be completely rebuilt over the next 7 years.. Going to be fun to watch.

But a Nightmare to drive/get around for anyone coming in from the east!!

It will be great in the end though with East Harbour in full swing and a new Don river.

Those living beside the 24/7 work on the eastern Gardiner are getting QUITE pissed off. Public meeting on 10 January

Back