174     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 247     0 

Roads: 403/401/410 Interchange (MTO)

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
You will be happy to know the 403 connection to/from 401 is underway with the 410 expansion.

I noticed in Jan going from 403 to 410 that excavation was taking place for the on ramp to 401 and widening of 410.

This past Friday, I noticed excavation is taking place north of Matheson Rd on the west side of 410 connection to 403 with construction poles all over the place.

On Sat going east on the 401, I noticed that the bridge over the north bound lanes of 410 had the 2nd section dug out under it to allow the 403 to 401 lane to be install under that bridge as well the widen 410.

The main work I expect at this time is to get the widening of 410 done first and then finish off the 403 ramps.

You will be happy to know the 403 connection to/from 401 is underway with the 410 expansion.

I noticed in Jan going from 403 to 410 that excavation was taking place for the on ramp to 401 and widening of 410.

This past Friday, I noticed excavation is taking place north of Matheson Rd on the west side of 410 connection to 403 with construction poles all over the place.

On Sat going east on the 401, I noticed that the bridge over the north bound lanes of 410 had the 2nd section dug out under it to allow the 403 to 401 lane to be install under that bridge as well the widen 410.

The main work I expect at this time is to get the widening of 410 done first and then finish off the 403 ramps.

Will the current 2 lane NB and SB transfers be widened as well? The NB transfer from the 403 to 410 gets especially backed up during rush hour. Having an extra lane would really help the traffic flow.

Will the current 2 lane NB and SB transfers be widened as well? The NB transfer from the 403 to 410 gets especially backed up during rush hour. Having an extra lane would really help the traffic flow.

The northbound movement is being improved a lot (there will be a mini express/collector system from 401 to Derry Rd) to reduce the weaving.

The SB transfer is not really being improved (and is a huge bottleneck).

Overall I don't see too many vehicles using these new ramps, but they are pretty cheap and will reduce traffic on Mississauga roads slightly (barring times when 403/401 are jammed).

The lack of through lanes isn't the problem here, it's the bottlenecks at the 401 and 407 interchanges which should be dampened to a degree with the two additional lanes being built.

I used to make the drive to my girlfriend's up at Sandalwood in the afternoon rush hour, getting on at Cawthra/Eastgate. Three years ago, so long as I got on the 403 by 4:30PM traffic would yet to be bumper to bumper. Over the past year, more often than not it would be bumper to bumper already by 3:30PM. Usually things improve slightly once you hit Courtney Park and then slow right down again at Derry thanks to the 407 interchange.

What really needs fixing is the bottleneck at Eglinton Avenue for all of us coming from the 401 collectors and the 410 SB going onto the 403WB. One single lane just doesn't cut the mustard here.

The 410 HOV will connect directly with the 403 HOV so that will act as an additional lane I guess.

You'd think so, but it actually won't. You will still have to exit using the transfer to 410, then a new HOV lane will form on the left which will last all way to Clark/Queen St.

what exactly are they doing here? I don't understand your post?

Highway 403 has always became the highway 410 once you turn the bend and go north towards the 401. this isn't new. is there something else going on?

what exactly are they doing here? I don't understand your post?
They're referring to the new northbound 403 to westbound 401 connection that is being constructed (along with the much simpler eastbound 401 to southbound 403 ramp, and the Mavis interchange widening). There's a new roadway being built east of the existing 403 to 410 connection, goes under eight 401 and 403 bridges between columns that have never had roadways previously.

Highway 403 has always became the highway 410 once you turn the bend and go north towards the 401.
It hasn't actually. Originally when the 410 was constructed in the 1970s it only connected to 401. When they added 403 in the early 1980s, you could only access 401 to and from the airport. It wasn't until the 1990's that they connected the 410 and 403 - and now they are finally completing the missing 401/403 connections.

They're referring to the new northbound 403 to westbound 401 connection that is being constructed (along with the much simpler eastbound 401 to southbound 403 ramp, and the Mavis interchange widening). There's a new roadway being built east of the existing 403 to 410 connection, goes under eight 401 and 403 bridges between columns that have never had roadways previously.

It hasn't actually. Originally when the 410 was constructed in the 1970s it only connected to 401. When they added 403 in the early 1980s, you could only access 401 to and from the airport. It wasn't until the 1990's that they connected the 410 and 403 - and now they are finally completing the missing 401/403 connections.

Wow, well i'll be darned/dammed. not once did anyone mention to go west bound 401 in any of the posts or even the subject line, wow, maybe people should be more clear in the future?

Wow, well i'll be darned/dammed. not once did anyone mention to go west bound 401 in any of the posts or even the subject line, wow, maybe people should be more clear in the future?
It was discussed in detail in a previous thread. The construction is pretty evident.

It was discussed in detail in a previous thread. The construction is pretty evident.

yes but if its being discussed here, it should be in the topic, put the word "west bound" sorry but my 2 cents, o wait they dont make pennys no more, my .5 cents (aka nikel)

yes but if its being discussed here, it should be in the topic, put the word "west bound" sorry but my 2 cents, o wait they dont make pennys no more, my .5 cents (aka nikel)
One ramp is northbound to westbound. The other is eastbound to southbound. Would you put them all in?

We've been discussing this project on and off for years. It's now under construction with this thread. Though it's also the same MTO contract as the Mavis interchange which for some reason is always discussed in the Hurontario thread - which is a different contract.

Does anybody know why will it take so long to finish this? Construction is supposed to end in 2018 but I can't find any plan on what will finish and when. It's start of July and by how far they are along it seems like they could finish the extra lanes on 410 by fall if they wanted to.

Btw, being a 410 warrior for a few years now, I don't see the 407 as a bottleneck per-se. Northbound just after 407 they go from 4 lanes to 3 then back to 4 after Steeles. I keep wondering why they didn't just continue the right lane after 407 to Steeles. It forces people from the right lane to merge and always creates a backup. There's hardly any traffic coming from 407 and they have 2 lanes coming onto 410. They could just repaint that right lane for another 500m and it would make a huge difference.

Also I wonder how they are going to solve the clusterf... that are the entrances from 401 both eastbound and westbound to 410 north. There's always trucks crossing 2-3 lanes there. Wonder if there was any way to streamline their exit onto Courtneypark

I was actually wondering the same thing. But they are rebuilding the Steeles exit, which looks like it just started. But yeah the extra lanes in the centre look like they just need a quick pave and will be done. If only it were that simple.

Back