News   Apr 24, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 385     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 738     1 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Disproving the myth that people will 20 over the limit regardless of what it is
Drivers who have lead foot will drive 10+ over the limit, regardless the speed limit is set at. Some have radar detectors.

Even going through construction zone where speed was set to 45/55 mph, got pass by drivers who never slow down in the first place. They were still doing the + over the 65/70 mph set speed before the construction zone.

The highest I every drove at on my trip was 120 km in both country and was pass more than enough times.

In my travel, I only saw 2 state police sitting on the road and no OPP at all.

Drivers in Canada are only going 20km/h over the limit because the OPP does not patrol as heavily as the State Highway Patrols do down south.

People feel like they can get away with it, so they do it.

The heavy OPP presence on the highways during Pan-Am Games is reminding me a lot of how the highway patrols operate in the USA.

In the US, I find that speed varies not only by state, but by where you are in the state.

I just pick a speed where some people are going past me, but not most people. Never got a ticket. Sometimes it's 5 mph over, sometimes it's 10 mph over.

Drivers in Canada are only going 20km/h over the limit because the OPP does not patrol as heavily as the State Highway Patrols do down south.

People feel like they can get away with it, so they do it.

Canada is very laissez faire about enforcement in general - we have rules for everything but at the same time there is a pervasive expectation of self-enforcement in all but the most significant health/public safety matters.

AoD

Huh? It's been done for a while now.

What are you talking about ? Isn't this thread about 401 expansion from 6 lanes to 12 lanes from HO to Mavis...Now do you see 12 lanes because I must be blind, since I drive daily from Erin Mills to downtown daily. My comment was about the pace of this project.

What are you talking about ? Isn't this thread about 401 expansion from 6 lanes to 12 lanes from HO to Mavis...Now do you see 12 lanes because I must be blind, since I drive daily from Erin Mills to downtown daily. My comment was about the pace of this project.
The thread was initially about the completed widening from 403/410 to just past Hurontario. But it's been used for other phases as they have started.

limits tend not to be quite as low in the US as well, most of the US has 70mph limits on interstates today which is the equivalent of 112km/h.

I would not say this is universally true. I have driven in about 2/3 of the US and speed limits on interstates vary from 55 mph to 75 mph, depending on where you are.

Whenever I drive in to Toronto I wonder about all the temporary "jersey barriers" that are set up in the Mississauga area. Is that what this thread is about? That whole construction area has looked stagnant for a couple of years. I keep wondering "what are they doing" and "why is there no work being done here?" It looks like they just all picked up and left.

Whenever I drive in to Toronto I wonder about all the temporary "jersey barriers" that are set up in the Mississauga area. Is that what this thread is about? That whole construction area has looked stagnant for a couple of years. I keep wondering "what are they doing" and "why is there no work being done here?" It looks like they just all picked up and left.
The barriers are hiding the future HOV lanes.
They're currently too short to be of any real impact, so they've chosen to keep them blocked off, and have the highway taper. They'll open them up once this next phase is complete, I imagine.

Yup they are going to open in 2019 once the phase that is just starting now finishes.

It's the same thing on the 400 at King Road. They rebuilt the interchange a few years ago and widened the highway for HOVs, but as they only widened around 1km of it around the interchange, they just have temporary jersey barriers up.

Back