News   Apr 24, 2024
 852     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 597     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Mavis bridge still be extended...

401_cl_339_east_EB_Jun15_forum.jpg

Via http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=209059&page=13

I'm not sure what that mean.
I always stay on the left lane, driving at exactly the speed limit.
Why keep right?

People staying in the left lane and going the speed limit is one of my pet peeves. You should be in the right lane.

People staying in the left lane and going the speed limit is one of my pet peeves. You should be in the right lane.
Of course they should. Only an incompetent fool drives in the left lane below the speed of traffic when there's space to the right. Which is why the law says to pull right. So not only an incompetent fool, but an incompetent law-breaking fool.

Of course they should. Only an incompetent fool drives in the left lane below the speed of traffic when there's space to the right. Which is why the law says to pull right. So not only an incompetent fool, but an incompetent law-breaking fool.
Hell, I have seen drivers doing a few clicks over the speed limit with no traffic in the right lane and have pass them on the right following other cars in front of me. Then I seen the slow drivers in that lane and you were on them at the speed limit in no time.

We are bad here, but the US is real bad for left hand drivers even with signs up telling them to use the right lane.

Must be the 50% of drivers who shouldn't be driving in the first place.

Clueless drivers are why I mostly take public transit. When I drove in Italy, last summer, it was amazing. People did their pass and then got out of the passing lane. It was so comically fast that I began to imagine the Italian government employing the army to take out drivers with a bazooka, if they didn't move back over. I wish I hadn't experienced that, because it just makes me all the more angry with my driving experience here.

Why keep right?
Because it is the law.

From the Ontario Highway Traffic Act;

Slow vehicles to travel on right side

147. (1) Any vehicle travelling upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at that time and place shall, where practicable, be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 147 (1).

Exception

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a driver of a,

(a) vehicle while overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;

(b) vehicle while preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway; or

(c) road service vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 147 (2).

Passing vehicle going in same direction

(8) No person in charge of a vehicle shall pass or attempt to pass another vehicle going in the same direction on a highway unless the roadway,

(a) in front of and to the left of the vehicle to be passed is safely free from approaching traffic; and

(b) to the left of the vehicle passing or attempting to pass is safely free from overtaking traffic. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 148 (8).

Because it is the law.

From the Ontario Highway Traffic Act;

Before people jump on me ....I will state that I am a right lane driver.....when a highway has 3 lanes I tend to travel in the middle one (avoiding blocking the speedier/passing traffic on the left and making it easier for merging traffic on the right) unless it too is travelling at a speed I am not comfortable at.....

.....that said, it should be noted that the Highway traffic act that creates the "drive on the right, pass on the left" convention also sets speed limits and it could be argued that someone driving at 100k/hr in the left lane is no more in contravention of the highway traffic act than the person who is travelling at 110k/hr that is annoyed because he is being blocked ;)

While true in theory, in practice, even the OPP tolerates speeds in excess of 100km/h. Within reason, of course. So using that as a way to legitimize blocking the left lane is kind of weak IMO.

While true in theory, in practice, even the OPP tolerates speeds in excess of 100km/h. Within reason, of course. So using that as a way to legitimize blocking the left lane is kind of weak IMO.

You need to re-read my post if you think I was doing that.

I just don't think waiving the highway traffic act at someone because their actions in contravention of that act is blocking your right to contravene the same act is a winning strategy. Afterall......the OPP also tolerates people driving 100km/hr in the left lane ;)

As for driving in the left lane, had a few in Mississauga and to Windsor.

Counted 50 in Detroit alone before getting out of that city. Ran into them on every hwy I was on in the US to the point dealing with a number that were 10-15 mph below the speed limit. Then there was an 18 wheeler doing 20 mph under the limit and no one in the other 2 lanes. I was doing 10 over while passing a few cars and did a quick lane change to get around the truck. Good example why Ohio has an 16% increase of road death this year with clueless driver who fail not to drive in left lane other than passing.

Had a few on the QEW.

OPP and State Police will look the other way on speed up to a point depending what taking place at the time as well how traffic is flowing.

Rarely did I get over 10 mph or 15 km over the speed limit and was pass more often by divers doing 20-30 miles or more

Last edited:
When I was in Florida (Orlando - Tampa), I was amazed at how little speeding there was. The highway flow was right on the speed limit and the most someone would go was10 mph over the limit.
They also had reasonable lane discipline. Not hogging the left lane and probably better moving from the centre lane to the right lane than Ontario.

Why keep right?

I can't tell if this is really subtle sarcasm or if it's sincere. If it's the former then it went over our heads. If it's the latter then I'm going to have to pray for your confused soul.

When I was in Florida (Orlando - Tampa), I was amazed at how little speeding there was. The highway flow was right on the speed limit and the most someone would go was10 mph over the limit.
They also had reasonable lane discipline. Not hogging the left lane and probably better moving from the centre lane to the right lane than Ontario.

That's my general impression of the US. It's a great place to drive. People would move from the left to the right lane to let you pass, roads are generous and well-maintained, cats-eyes are embedded into the lane dividers.

The reason that everyone is at the speed limit is that the roads are over-patrolled. In ~24 hours of US driving I've been pulled over twice, whereas I've never been pulled over once in a decade of driving in Canada. I also managed to get a speeding ticket going 8(?!) miles over the speed limit there, but I think that's more of a profiling thing.

limits tend not to be quite as low in the US as well, most of the US has 70mph limits on interstates today which is the equivalent of 112km/h.

Back