News   Apr 19, 2024
 249     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 527     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 889     3 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Any updates ? I haven't seen any work done on the Mavis bridge expansion for a while. I guess they stopped working due to Polar Vortex II.

It looks pretty cool from the west approach. The end spans of the structure are being dug out to incorporate the future 401 EB & WB Collector lanes.

Generally they won't do too much construction in the winter.

well its already June and I take that route atleast 2 times a month and have seen very little if not, no changes. our federal tax dollars hard at work, ya know?

well its already June and I take that route atleast 2 times a month and have seen very little if not, no changes. our federal tax dollars hard at work, ya know?

They are moving at Snails pace. 401 is the backbone of the economy and things will get even worse when the CN rail intermodal facility opens in Milton. 1500 extra trucks in and out of Milton everyday. They should have widened the hwy from HO to atleast Cambridge, atleast 10 years ago. 401 between JS and Mavis is a nightmare, during rush hours. Milton will build more housing north of steeles off Tremaine. Tremaine is being expanded, yet there is no 401/Tremaine intersection. Who are these planners ? where did they get their degrees from ? 'Horror..Horror'.

Last edited:

you won't see it if you are driving on mavis.
going eastbound on the 401 you will see the widened bridge. I hope they start doing the other side soon.

you won't see it if you are driving on mavis.
going eastbound on the 401 you will see the widened bridge. I hope they start doing the other side soon.
They've not resumed construction at Mavis? I haven't driven that way since the last frost (which I guess was about 10 days ago! :)

If they haven't started yet, I'd assume they are waiting until after the Pan Am games, as presumably it will create lane restrictions on Mavis. The contractor seemed to be working on other parts of the job site ... at the 401/403 interchange, when I passed last time (which bizarrely is part of the same contract as Mavis, with the Hurontario work being a different contract).

That's because the only work going on right now is the widening of the Mavis Road overpass. The Mavis Road contract was issued as an advance contract ahead of widening the 401 to the Credit River, which is the boundary of the next phase of widening the 401.

My understanding is that the 410 widening project was bumped up in priority and the 401 widening to the Credit River was pushed back a couple of years. In the mean time, money was left over to redo the Mavis Road overpass separately, which needed to be done for the widening anyhow. A win win of sorts.

I don't expect the next phase of the 401 widening to be tendered until Mavis is almost done sometime next year.

Also, these are provincial tax dollars we're talking about here.

They've not resumed construction at Mavis? I haven't driven that way since the last frost (which I guess was about 10 days ago! :)

If they haven't started yet, I'd assume they are waiting until after the Pan Am games, as presumably it will create lane restrictions on Mavis. The contractor seemed to be working on other parts of the job site ... at the 401/403 interchange, when I passed last time (which bizarrely is part of the same contract as Mavis, with the Hurontario work being a different contract).
The work going on at the 401/403 interchange is completely unrelated to the works going on at Mavis.

Project #2014-2042 is being undertaken by OHL Construction and involves the rehabilitation of 6 bridge structures at the 401/403/410 interchange as well as ATMS upgrading between Mclaughlin and Dixie.

Side note: Could this thread title be updated to something more fitting for the next phase of the 401 widening?

Last edited:
They are moving at Snails pace. 401 is the backbone of the economy and things will get even worse when the CN rail intermodal facility opens in Milton. 1500 extra trucks in and out of Milton everyday. They should have widened the hwy from HO to atleast Cambridge, atleast 10 years ago. 401 between JS and Mavis is a nightmare, during rush hours. Milton will build more housing north of steeles off Tremaine. Tremaine is being expanded, yet there is no 401/Tremaine intersection. Who are these planners ? where did they get their degrees from ? 'Horror..Horror'.

Tremaine Road would be a very bad decision for an intersection. Going westbound it is at the start of the hill to the escarpment which due to slower truck traffic is already a bottleneck. Adding merging traffic would create a headache (think of the line of cars going off to Kitchener headache).

It is also only one concession road from Hwy 25. Driving an extra 2 km to the highway won't kill anybody. Campbellville Road is also very efficient way to go westbound.

It is also mainly protected land to the North and West (the escarpment). It won't grow north of the highway (other than industrial). Yes, Milton is growing to Steeles but the Hwy 25 ramp has more than enough room for all this growth.

I could see James Snow eventually being extended to meet either Tremaine or Campbellville Rd as the industrial park grows but that's the extent of the growth.

Tremaine is being realigned through a new subdivision and will have a new interchange with the 401 in a few years, roughly half way between Tremaine and Peru road.

work on the next phase of the 401 widening from my understanding will start next year. Work to widen it past the Credit River is a whiles off still though, probably not until at least 2018.

The issue with the highway 25 interchange is that the road ends quite quickly to the south, making it difficult for people coming from the new subdivisions to get to the 401. The new Tremaine Road interchange will allow them to go around downtown Milton.

The 403 / 401 interchange work is actually part of the 410 expansion contract, from my understanding.

Last edited:
The 403 / 401 interchange work is actually part of the 410 expansion contract, from my understanding.
The new ramps at the interchange are indeed part of the 410 project. However, there is upcoming structure rehabilitation work (starting tomorrow night coincidentally) on 6 bridge structures in the area, along with the upgrade of ATMS from McLaughlin to 500 meters west of Dixie. These works being performed under contract 2014-2042, seperate from the Mavis Road and the 410 projects.

If the problem really is "slow trucks on hills," (which, while annoying, are just a fact of life and topography) then there's already a low cost solution that exists: climbing lanes.
Throw on an extra lane for the ascending direction, take it away once you're at the top of the hill.
$2B (or his overly optimistic $500M) not required.

Back