News   Apr 23, 2024
 415     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 374     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 618     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Drum, can you tell me what is going on with the median in the pic below? I have been trying to find out why they would separate it by that much. I found some drawings (from an old town hall meeting) showing that at this point, there will be transfers, but this shouldn't require them to widen the center median. I have also seen from other documents that past Mavis Rd., it appears that there will be a lot of space between all the four sets of lanes. Why would they be doing this?

Aug 28 Photo
I just got around to posting photos up to Aug 28 and some shots from the west end

15160271010_c673d08a96_b.jpg

I believe that Goldfinger (he's the man, the man with the Midas touch) means the raised asphalt bit between the jersey barriers. Nobody's going to be driving HOV-style down that.

I can't answer why the median is wider at that spot as it makes no sense unless it for safety reason during construction. The lanes are HOV and will not be used for years that has one scratching there head over as to why. Too short for a bike lane and no way to get too it as well no room to the east, but then this is MTO.

The HOV will be installed in a future contract for the expansion of the express/collector system to west of Mavis as shown here: http://www.401expansion-mississauga.ca/Downloads/401-RollPlanDisplay-Model.pdf. I'm not sure how I feel about 1 HOV + 2 GPL. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

The strange median configuration is also explained by the link above; basically there will be a transition from wide median to narrow median.

Last edited by a moderator:
The HOV will be installed in a future contract for the expansion of the express/collector system to west of Mavis as shown here: http://www.401expansion-mississauga.ca/Downloads/401-RollPlanDisplay-Model.pdf

The strange median configuration is also explained by the link above, basically there will be a transition from wide median to narrow median.
Looking at the plan, the wider median is for pier protection for the McLaughlin Rd bridge and no explanation why this one when it hasn't happen at the other ones.

If you look at the plan, very old as McLaughlin Rd is 4 lanes now and the bridge is 2 lanes on the plan.

HOV Lanes start west of Port Credit Bridge

How about open the HOV lane now but treat it as a GP lane for the time being, and then later paint in the diamonds

Looking at the plan, the wider median is for pier protection for the McLaughlin Rd bridge and no explanation why this one when it hasn't happen at the other ones.

If you look at the plan, very old as McLaughlin Rd is 4 lanes now and the bridge is 2 lanes on the plan.

I think the explanation is that when the new McLaughlin bridge was put it, the assumption was the 401 would have a different configuration in express (more than just 1 HOV + 2 GPL). The collectors still have to fit under the bridge spans nearest the abutments, and now the EB & WB express have too much room under the middle span (there is no median pier at McLaughlin). It seems like the McLaughlin structure was overbuilt, perhaps due to some construction constraint?

creates driver outrage when they are converted as they are "removing a lane".

Sad that it has to be that way. The widening of the 417 from the 416 to 7 is just wrapping up right now. It was split into 2 phases, with Phase 1 being from the 416 to Eagleson. The eastbound lanes had the HOV lanes opened when they opened the expansion, but the westbound HOV will be a general traffic lane until Phase 2 opens in the next month or so. It'll then be converted to an HOV lane.

Strange that the MTO won't do a similar thing in Mississauga.

Any updates ? I haven't seen any work done on the Mavis bridge expansion for a while. I guess they stopped working due to Polar Vortex II.

Back