News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.7K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 554     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Riverdale

Visited Riverdale Farm for the first time since I was like 6 years old. I also visited this cute little chapel with a beautiful gate leading into a cemetary across the street from it.

I didn't realize how close it was to the downtown core.

Absolutely beautiful neighbourhood!

Louroz

I agree, but the farm and neighbourhood is Cabbagetown. Riverdale is on the other side of the valley to the east.

Visited Riverdale Farm for the first time since I was like 6 years old.

Just cause I love to date myself, when I was 6 years old, it was called Riverdale Zoo. (and yes, when I date myself, and dinner and wine is involved, I generally allow myself to get to third base.).

but the farm and neighbourhood is Cabbagetown. Riverdale is on the other side of the valley to the east.

Riverdale Farm is located in Riverdale Park, which is of course, located on both sides of the valley.

I'm all for the development of this neighbourhood as long as it keeps in tone with everything else that's going up.

That being said, if there were a few more businesses added to the stretch of carlaw that opened to the public from the street I'd be much happier. I think that the stretch of Carlaw between Dundas and Queen really needs some life added to it.

Still, it's been Riverdale ever since the farm was the zoo. And in a way, it makes (or made, back before names like "Cabbagetown" and "Don Vale" became non-colloquial commonplace) the neighbourhood operate like across-the-river spillover, much as the name Weston came to carry on to areas west of the Humber which technically weren't a part of Weston...

Yes, but that doesn't affect Billonlogan's point that Riverdale Farm is in Cabbagetown.

It wasn't really intended to affect his point, as I wholy agree that in every practical sense, Riverdale Farm is considered to be located in the neighbourhood of Cabbagetown. I was only pointing out the namesake connection, which may not be the most important factor, but not nothing either.

Between the river and the highway, the park is separated to a degree that they do not seem as one park that is shared by two neighbourhoods. They are also very different places anyway.

Funny how the city has not historically treated the two sides of the park fairly...it would seem that it has had some form of contempt for the eastern half (the former Scadding lands purchased by the city in 1856 )....first it was the sight of the jail....then a dump...then the DVP....while the western half was always treated more like a park.

Funny how the city has not historically treated the two sides of the park fairly...it would seem that it has had some form of contempt for the eastern half (the former Scadding lands purchased by the city in 1856 )....first it was the sight of the jail....then a dump...then the DVP....while the western half was always treated more like a park.

Though perhaps the eastern half's had the last laugh, given how well-used it is as a playing field, et al. Other than the zoo/farm, the western half's always seemed like an underused/underuseable afterthought--and in fact, the Bayview Extension/River St access has more of a traffic-vacuum effect there than the DVP has across the river. And even the zoo had an "inhumane conditions" rep to live down, while its remains have been haphazardly used and disused in the name of the farm, etc.

I agree about the sports...the sports fields on the western half are really just a defacto staging area for dog-pooping contests.

I dunno about the image problem regarding the old-school zoo...personally, I secretly (no make that publicly) yearn for some good ole political incorrectness. Baboons are a bunch of assholes anyway.

I prefer the more intimate and neighbourhood intigrated western side of the park. In fact, the nature's taking it back situation with the "farm" is what I like most about it...especially down at the bottom, where old rements of the zoo can still be glimpsed here and there.

Overgrown walkways where the benches that once were full, now line the lonely path, rotting, overlooking nothing. An old stone animal cage, with the rusted bars is still there...what was once probably a lovely pond, is now an overgrown, algea covered swamp. The little stone arched bridge...that old caretakers house with the funky brick work.

Throw in the wonderfully creepy "city of the dead" next to it, and you have a unique little pocket in the heart of the city.

Riverdale Park East has a completely different vibe, and not nearly as intigrated with the Riverdale neighbourhood....Withrow Park is much better at that (although I hear the dogs have been nervous lately). It does have a great open feeling, which lends itself better towards playing fields....and the view while walking along the Broadview "ridge" is fantastic.

East Riverdale Park is nicely integrated with the neighbourhood on snowy winter weekends when it is crawling with local tobogganing families though. And the track is quite well used in the summer.

There used to be a Greek festival down there, for a few days each summer, in the mid-80s - with a large tent. I think it evolved into Taste of the Danforth.

East Riverdale Park is nicely integrated with the neighbourhood on snowy winter weekends when it is crawling with local tobogganing families though. And the track is quite well used in the summer.

Oh, I have no doubt is well used by the local constituency...I was refering to a more geographical sense...it certainly feels like a park...just not a neighbourhood park. Whereas with the west side, it penetrates directly into the small Cabbagetown street grid...in fact, it has a "square" feeling to it.

There used to be a Greek festival down there, for a few days each summer, in the mid-80s - with a large tent. I think it evolved into Taste of the Danforth.

Perhaps it should return to its roots then.

Sorry, but I really have no use for TOTD. Far too crowded, and despite it's namesake, the "food" part of it is low brow, as is the entertainment. It's really just a cheezy, corporate-sponsered BIA sidewalk sale gone awry, that bills itself as a "cultural" event. I'd sooner attend the CHIN Picnic.

Positive note...I did catch a decent performance one year from local boy Jim Cuddy, even though it an hour to move 200 feet afterward.

Funny....I don't know you at all of course, but you still seem to strike me as more of a Cabbagetown type than a Riverdale type....shows how much I know.

Ok, so "type" is probably a bad word to use. Let's just say whatever it is that would attract a person to living in Cabbagetown over Riverdale...and visa versa.

Riverdale was cheaper in 1990 when I bought my place. In the early '80s I wanted to buy in Cabbagetown, but backed off when prices there skyrocketed in the mid- to late-80s.

Je ne regrette rien.

Back