News   Apr 25, 2024
 225     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Riverdale

^ I'd often do that, too, until a neighbour bought a snowblower and insisted on clearing his driveway, our driveway, and a few more, along with the sidewalk for 10 houses in each direction. Other than a few minor flurries, I haven't shovelled anything in three or four years...and it's a shame as I love being out at night in the winter, with no one around but the Christmas lights.

I used to shovel over to exactly where our driveway ended and the neighbour's driveway started, but the neighbour only ever shovelled as far over as necessary to get their car out of the garage. This would leave a one foot strip on their side that perpetually turned to ice and stuck around until April. It would have taken me 10 seconds to run the shovel along that sliver of snow but, on principle or out of suburban anger, I never did it...it was truly a snowman's land.

Even funnier was this neighbour's neighbour, two doors down from me - these two neighbours shared two feet of grass between their driveways, with one foot on each side of the property line, I guess. My neighbour's neighbour would cut this strip of lawn, but *only* the foot of it that belonged to them, while my neighbour proper would never cut their foot. Naturally, the most incredibly tall grass and weeds would proliferate here. Looking over it, I felt like I was spying across a patch of the Suburbangeti.

These neighbours would sometimes leave a branch full of pears on our doorstep for Chinese New Year. When they first moved in, they took everything that was left in the house by previous owners - drapes, cardboard, etc. - and burned it in a huge, illegal backyard bonfire.

Some good laughs there, Scarberian. Thanks for sharing.

Where I grew up there were no sidewalks for many, many miles in any direction and no one cleared their driveway with a shovel because doing so would be a 6-14 hour proposition. There was a guy in the village who would drive his full-size farm equipment tractor with plough attachment around the community and clear the driveways of his friends (including us). I don't think you could fit that tractor on an average Scarborough driveway, never mind use it to clear the snow.

My son made it to the front page of East York Riverdale Mirror over the holidays. He was the kid in the picture airborne while tobogganning at Withrow Park. He's now ready to tackle the slopes of Riverdale Park. sniff sniff he's growing up so fast.

My son made it to the front page of East York Riverdale Mirror over the holidays. He was the kid in the picture airborne while tobogganning at Withrow Park. He's now ready to tackle the slopes of Riverdale Park. sniff sniff he's growing up so fast.
But was he wearing a safety helmet? The Nanny State deems it recommended now.

I still remember when I "graduated" to Riverdale Park.....
thats one massive hill for a 7 year old!

Anyone know if the rink @ Withrow is still open after this recent thaw? I have an itch to play some shinny tonight!

What will the Riverdale dead do now that Ralph Day has closed - bury themselves?

My old neighbour Bernice, who claimed to be 85 but it turned out was actually 88 - though she didn't look a day over 82 - had her lying in state there several years ago. I wasn't expecting an open coffin, and was deep in cheerful conversation with several of my neighbours when I glanced down and came face to face with the dearly departed - she actually looked a little better than she did in her final years of life.

My street is a lot duller - and much quieter - without Bernice, and her ancient hearing aid that used to make funny noises like it was picking up Radio Moscow. Bernice and her husband Chris, who predeceased her by a couple of years, lived in that house for some 50 years.

I had a real estate flyer through my door the other day from a couple of agents called Marilyn and Kimball Sarin.

Having the Sarins sell your place would be a real gas.

Riverdale real estate in the news.

Buyers racing to beat Toronto's incoming land transfer tax created an uncharacteristic spike in home sales over the holiday season.
The hottest areas for re-sale in December were Riverdale, which saw a 75% increase in transactions compared to the previous December. From Royal LePage Real Estate Services comes news that says: Things could start to cool down in popular areas such as Riverdale and the Beaches. A slowdown is expected after land transfer tax takes effect in February.
Our neighbour down the street got 50K over asking just before Christmas. I wonder if those days are over where most houses in the area were selling higher than asking.

Though they were asking too much and had to drop the price a bit, my vile, loud, arriviste neighbours sold their place in about a week last November. Rarely do homes in Prime Riverdale stay on the market for more than a couple of days if they're priced right. Back in the summer, the people a few doors away sent shockwaves through the neighbourhood by selling their semi for almost $830,000 after a bidding war. This madness has to end eventually. It's nice to get people with the resources to renovate, expand and improve their properties moving in, though.

... and, in other local news, I see that the old payphone at the corner of Logan and Withrow has gone. Are there any left in that part of town?

Gun violence is hitting closer to home alot more frequently. This is what? the third fatality in the past 4 months, including the one the cops shot and killed on Holloween. :eek:
-----------------------------------------------------

Man killed in Riverdale shootout
TheStar.com - News - Man killed in Riverdale shootout

UPDATE:
Jan 17, 2008 11:13 PM
henry stancu
Staff Reporter

An innocent bystander working at a grocery store was shot to death in an apparent shootout on a busy Riverdale street Thursday night.

HENRY STANCU/TORONTO STAR
Police cordon Gerrard St. E. near Broadview Ave. as part of the investigation into a fatal shooting there on Thursday, Jan. 17. Man in his mid-40s found lying in front of east-end Chinatown grocery store Fu Yao Supermarket, with gunshot wounds to his chest
Shoppers on Gerrard St. E., in what has become Toronto's east-end Chinatown, ducked for cover as bullets struck store windows and parked cars, just east of Broadview Ave. around 6:10 p.m.

Back