Toronto River City Condos Phases 1 & 2 | ?m | 16s | Urban Capital | ZAS Architects

Because they never build anything more complex in this city than Casa x 3 et al.

With all the available work why take on the hardest job?

What's so challenging about spandrel and aluminum panelling? I thought we'd be experts at that in this city.

IMG_3003.JPG

From my May 29th Development Tour of Toronto

Attachments

• IMG_3003.JPG
    IMG_3003.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,643
One definitely has to take a glaciologist's perspective when gauging progress on this building . I guess that matches the colour.
I count no fewer than seven windows that are no longer boarded up since my last post on April 25.
There is a fair bit more facade covering the floor slabs as well.
I do like how it's turning out.

IMG_1369.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1369.jpg
    IMG_1369.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,488
Last edited:
Now that is architecture that says something for itself. We need way more of this. Too bad the floor plans are bogus--or so I hear--as I'd strongly consider moving here, and Corktown has always had a special place in my heart.

floorplans in the 1st phase are pretty decent for the most part. 2nd phase are OK...3rd phase are terrible.

Now this is more of what we need. Reminds me of what you see in Europe. I love the work of these architects and wish they would do more work in this city. One of the best projects so far in this city!

Gilles Saucier is one of the few architects working at this scale who uses glass as a material to its full potential and not as a means to an economic end. It really goes to show that good design can be applied to any building typology, construction material, budget, etc.

Last edited:

Back