News   Apr 24, 2024
 256     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 339     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 675     1 

Ridiculous comments and claims made by City Councillors

You are right the growth of the city from 2011-2016 is 20,000 a year. Most people when they quote this number are going off the GTA population rise predictions given by the government of Ontario shown here: by http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/economy/demographics/projections/#s2

Anyways even 20,000 is a large number number per year as it is, let alone if it does jump to 100,000 like the government is predicting. Say a condo holds 1000 people in it, that's an average of 20 condos a year that need to be built. We probably build that much per year in the GTA maybe a few less some years and a few more in others. Now if it does go to 100,000 a year like predictions, we are going to be falling behind. That will just be a mess if it does go up, and given their reasons for the prediction I don't really see why it wouldn't go up; and we will be terribly unprepared on many fronts.
but they are not 20,000 individuals that are all looking for individual units? And they say 1000,000 per year moving to toronto because they want to justify all the condos being built

An interesting post on Reddit as a continuation on De Baeremaeker's dog collar shenanigans:

bob_mcbob said:
As of March 1, the use of choke, chain, and prong collars for dogs is completely prohibited in Toronto, with fines of up to $100,000. This bylaw amendment took basically every organization that works with dogs by surprise, as well as thousands of Toronto dog owners. It was originally only meant to be for tethering, since these collars are a strangling hazard for unattended dogs, but "noted animal lover" Councillor Glenn De Baeremaeker (of Scarborough Subway fame) personally managed to get it upgraded to a full ban as a member of the Licensing and Standards Committee. It has since emerged that he repeatedly ignored staff recommendations in MLS reports and straight up lied to council on multiple occasions to get his motion passed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kqbnebm1u1bu61v/Toronto Ban Dropbox.pdf

A couple weeks after the new bylaw went into effect, organizations for blind people started sending scathing letters to the city. Guide Dog Users of Canada says almost every guide dog training group in the country uses collars that are now banned, so their trainers, handlers, and clients in Toronto are in violation of the bylaw. De Baeremaeker just put forward a motion on the city council agenda for March 28 to reopen the item and send it back to MLS for evaluation of a possible exemption for service animals. He already had to add an exemption for Toronto Police Service because they train with and use banned collars.

https://www.reddit.com/r/toronto/comments/61kwlw/toronto_accidentally_banned_guide_dogs_with_the/

Out of the blue? Seems like other municipalities are still deciding, and Di Ciano, for some reason or another has chosen to intervene.

I'd like to see if someone can track the money leading to Di Ciano. No doubt it would explain some of his choices (like the Metrolinx-townhouse debacle).

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/03/27/ranked-ballots-on-life-support

I've always felt the same way about Di Ciano. He forked out $21,000 of his *own* money on his 2014 election campaign - I believe the highest of any councillor last election. http://app.toronto.ca/EFD/jsf/candidate/view_financial_statements.xhtml

His twin brother is a well connected developer, and Di Ciano is practically joined to the hip of Mark Grimes, who has had some potential conflicts of interest in the past.

I also question the role Di Ciano had in potentially strong-arming the nominated 2014 federal Liberal candidate in Etobicoke Lakeshore who bowed out for 'personal reasons,' only to have James Maloney, the former interim councillor and whose federal campaign was chaired by Di Ciano, take her place.

Perhaps I'm grasping at straws - but I find Di Ciano and Etobicoke politics to be slimey.

Last edited:
This thing with the prong collars is ridiculous. He says people shouldn't get big, strong dogs if they can't handle them which shows how little he knows. I know 2 dogs who were runts of the litter and ended up catching up and surpassing most of the rest of their siblings. There are smaller dogs who even with training can be a handful and may need a prong collar. It is an effective tool when used properly. For some reason, council has an obsession with dogs and it's not for the right reasons.

And life is like a box of chocolates...

newtwitterav_normal.jpg
Matt Elliott@GraphicMatt
7 mins ago
Coun. Pasternak doesn’t think people should say “one-stop subway.” He says there are 31 stops on Bloor line, so this is a 32-stop subway.

But will still have to join the ever-increasing crowds at Bloor-Yonge to change trains.

And life is like a box of chocolates...

newtwitterav_normal.jpg
Matt Elliott@GraphicMatt
7 mins ago
Coun. Pasternak doesn’t think people should say “one-stop subway.” He says there are 31 stops on Bloor line, so this is a 32-stop subway.

In less than an hour council will be back from recess. God damn I'm not ready for this shit.

Scarborough subway debate: greatest hits

Pasternak
  • Doesn’t think people should say "one-stop subway." "There are 31 stops on Bloor line, so this is a 32-stop subway."
  • Calling it one stop subway is “a smear campaign of the project”
  • Blames opponents for delaying work on the subway
  • Union station project: "no one is running around calling that a billion-dollar, zero-stop subway"

Glen DB
  • Strawman arguments, taking shots at High Park and Rosedale stations,
  • All visible minority councillors in Scarborough support the subway. People of colour know what they want
  • Says councillor Shan’s win in Ward 42 was because of subway
  • Compares Scarborough subway station to the Bloor Viaduct
  • Scarborough councillors won't vote for relief line if Scarborough not supported

Mammoliti
  • Motion to take SSE money and apply it to extending Sheppard subway. "I love Scarborough. LRTs are slow. I am a pro-Subway person."
  • SSE is "not going to get built ... it's probably going to be six or seven billion dollars"
  • "LRTs, for me, they don't work either. They're too slow"
  • 90% of Finch West bus riders don't pay their fare, therefore it undercounts demand (for Finch subway). Says drivers tell him that.
  • "What's the speed of a bus?" After his bus question is ruled out of order: "why are you getting angry at me?"
  • Why isn't the Eglinton LRT underground?

Lee
  • It's not a one stop subway, it’s extension of one stop
  • [insert incomprehensible babble here] which I do not wish to repeat

Shan
  • on the need for transit in Scar: "It's a lived experience issue for us"
  • "We've been accused of being political, but if that means supporting the hopes and dreams of Scarborough I'm happy to be political"
  • The subway saves 40 minutes to 1 hour per day. "That time is very important for us to spend with our children, to have a healthy life"

Shiner
  • Sheppard subway is a much needed subway, that is fully paid for by development. The city wouldn’t work without it.
  • Introduces motion to rough-in lawrence subway station, which would compete with ST. Then mocks recent metrolinx report: “oh they say there will be less riders because people may decide to take their cars? C'mon."

Kelly
  • “I agree with Mammoliti on Finch W, that it should be a subway instead of an LRT”
  • Their is unanimity in opinion in “that part of the world” (Scarborough) on the subway
  • The point is not that ridership numbers aren't good today, the point is to look to the future (which is exactly what planners did)

Thompson
  • Decries anti-Scarb bias. Says opponents believe "it costs too much, and you people in Scarborough do not deserve that"
  • “If you are supportive of transit expansion, you will vote for the subway”

Karygiannis
  • “When you want your relief line, we and our constituents will remember"
  • "We're the richest country in the world and yet we have probably the least amount of subway (track) in the world. Less than the poorest countries in the world."
  • Stop saying to people of Scarborough “you are stupid, you don't know what you're doing”, he says very loudly
  • "Bad Scarborough, BAD BAD SCARBOROUGH you can’t have a subway. "

Colle
  • Express subway is "logical" because no one gets on at SRT stops between Kennedy and STC
  • It's not factual to suggest adequate analysis of this transit corridor has not been done
  • We are obsessed with mode in this city. It is stunning. Why cant we have light rail on the relief line north of Bloor?
  • This has been the most studied transit corridor in the history of the province. The information is there.

John Tory
  • Went on a long rant about "real people". "I stand by" the anecdotal assumptions I hear about how much time they believe the subway will save. "Why shouldn't we listen to them?"
  • "Real people have become fake news. I don't understand"
  • “Whatever studies are floating around out there”, he says of the staff reports.
  • He finds it "a strange world where personal travel experiences are disregarded by councillors and journalists."
  • Says the studies are relevant, but also there are people saying this subway will save them 15-20 minutes per day. "To those people it is a fact."
  • Perks asks Tory how much he's willing to pay for this subway. Tory says that's a "speculative exercise" he's not "prepared to engage in", after having done exactly that about travel times.
  • Assumes council had business case comparative analysis between LRT and subway before them in 2013. Fact check: No they did not
  • “subways last for 100 years, that’s quite a different story than an LRT”
  • Still believes - or pretends to believe - that SmartTrack will be useful for Scarborough.

Back