News   Apr 17, 2024
 561     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 303     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Ridiculous comments and claims made by City Councillors

Lack of commuter parking causing 'total chaos' at TTC stations, councillor says
James Pasternak says a ‘war on the car’ decision to close commuter parking is hurting suburban residents

From link:

They need their cars to use the TTC.

It may seem paradoxical, but one city councillor says it's a fact of life for many in the inner suburbs of Toronto — one that was overlooked when the city decided it didn't need several TTC commuter parking lots.

Now, Ward 10 Coun. James Pasternak says this "war on the car" decision is causing headaches for commuters and he's asking city council to make sure there will be enough parking as Toronto transit expands.

"It's pretty messy," Pasternak said of the current situation at Wilson Station. Last December, 610 parking spaces at the station were lost when the TTC closed a commuter lot to make way for a commercial development.

"There's total chaos off of Wilson Heights (Blvd.) as people are trying to squeeze into the other parking lots," Pasternak said.

"These are seniors and young families with school aged children who rely on parking to take the subway downtown."

Motion to be tabled at executive committee meeting

In a motion to be tabled at Thursday's executive committee meeting, Pasternak is asking the city manager to assemble a blue ribbon panel of experts to study and provide feedback about commuter parking "along the new Spadina-University Subway line and other points of entry for travel."

Pasternak says the situation is the result of the decision made in 2009 to declare eight TTC parking lots — including three at Wilson station — surplus property. They were then put in the hands of Build Toronto, the arm's-length corporation that manages the sale and redevelopment of city real estate.

"There was a war on the car in those years, and we're starting to see the consequences of that," he said.

The Wilson South lot, with 541 spaces, is scheduled to close later this year and there are no fixed dates for the other Wilson lots, according to the TTC.

But the TTC expects the situation to be improved with the opening, in February, of the 1,100-space commuter parking lot at Yorkdale Shopping Centre.

TTC spokesperson Stuart Green says there are also roughly 2,800 parking spaces north of Downsview that will be part of the Spadina subway extension.

Consider this:

610 parking spaces lost from Wilson? At 1.3 possible people in those motor vehicles, that 793 possible passengers.

A Toronto rocket subway train has 400 seats (1,458 crush load). Or about two subway trains, if only the seats were filled, and no standees. And if they all arrive or leave at the same time. (Would seem like forever for the cars [with 1.3 people in each] to enter or exit, if they do.)

d4c6ea0e2d387adadf284ac846b05090.jpg

Clr Carmichael Greb getting in a pissing match between media and planning staff on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/823700452344823809

(Man, #topoli is going to miss @Goldsbie)
Yes, I heard Ms Greb on CBC yesterday where she assured the interviewer that she has been looking into saving heritage buildings for quite some time but seemed quite ignorant about the Listing process (and Won-Tam's efforts to avoid 'midnight demolitions') or the fact that the City has no choice about issuing (non-residential) demolition permits after x days if a building is not Listed or Designated.

It was pretty gutless for Greb to immediately blame staff to try to score some quick political points for her constituents. There are some obvious issues with the process here, but that's been acknowledged and recognized.

Some also pointed out on Twitter that Greb herself voted against expanding the Planning staff at no extra cost to the city (via budget reallocation).

Di Ciano, Holyday, Campbell, DMW, Kelly, and perhaps Robinson and De Baeremaeker. Notice how majority of endorsements merely talk about the candidates' relationship with Ford and provides little to no insight into their actual vision and what it means for the city.

Last edited:
At the time, their relationships with Ford were real character evaluations.

Campbell I think is overall a good councilor, just doesn't vote the way I want him to vote all the time.

Many of the candidates the Star listed were incumbents and weren't going anywhere. I wish John Campbell stayed on and was not voted out contrarily to the Star's endorsement. I agree with you on the other names you listed however.

I am particularly disappointed with Jaye Robinson. I think she said at some point she would be just a 2-term councilor, I really hope she stays true to that.

Councillors Holyday, Minnan-Wong oppose sanctuary city status
Holyday said he didn't understand what Sanctuary City meant, while Minnan-Wong simply walked out.

From link:

Why would a city councillor oppose a proposal reaffirming Toronto’s status as a sanctuary city?

If you’re Stephen Holyday, it all comes down do a simple concept: Comprehension.

“I really don’t fully understand what an undocumented Torontonian means and what being a sanctuary city means,” said the Ward 3 councillor, noting the concept was debated and adopted before he sat on council.

The 40-year-old rookie councillor was one of two who firmly opposed Mayor John Tory’s motion on Tuesday, which reaffirmed Toronto as a welcoming place where all residents have the right to access city services regardless of their legal status.

The other was deputy mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong, who chose to walk out of council chambers as the motion was put to a vote and didn’t return Metro’s requests for comment on Wednesday. He was one of eight councillors who voted against adopting sanctuary city status back in 2014.

At the time, he said illegal immigrants and undocumented workers “are an insult to every immigrant who played by the rules to get into this country” and “should be removed.”

Holyday, meanwhile, said he doesn’t harbour negative or misguided beliefs about immigrants. His vote simply represented a “prudent” approach to an issue about which he didn’t grasp the full implications, he told Metro.

“I’m not an unwelcoming person,” he said. “But you have a heavy term sprung on you and you have to make a decision on the spot.”

Well, Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong didn't make a "ridiculous comment". He just walked out.

DMW, being the colossal POS that he is, did take to Twitter to clarify his position:

upload_2017-2-2_9-45-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-2_9-45-25.png
    upload_2017-2-2_9-45-25.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 172
Geeze...not sure if this thread or the NIMBY thread is more hilarious/sad/scary.
On one hand, our "leaders". On the other, our neighbours who happen to have a hand in electing said "leaders". (I'm using air-quotes here because, what....10% of council is legit? As in legitimately rational, reasonable people)

Back