News   Mar 18, 2024
 730     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 767     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

They used to have a restaurant at Avenue Road and Lawrence, across from Pusateri. It had a very downmarket ambiance compared to the Québec restaurants.

One of the last stores to stick around in Ontario was on Queensway I think. Overall their chicken is consistently better than that of the Chalet - though the menu is less "innovative".

AoD

One of the last stores to stick around in Ontario was on Queensway I think.

That's correct. I've read that the restaurant which replaced it still kept the same menu and that it just wasn't branded St-Hubert, but I'm not sure of that.

It's interesting how Swiss Chalet and St-Hubert each retreated to their respective side of the language divide. If I'm not mistaken, Swiss Chalet pulled out of Québec around the same time St-Hubert left most of Ontario, or soon after. It's as if the two chains quietly signed some sort of non-aggression pact. The only places you'll still find both operating are in eastern Ontario (Ottawa, Cornwall) and New Brunswick.

They used to have a restaurant at Avenue Road and Lawrence, across from Pusateri. It had a very downmarket ambiance compared to the Québec restaurants.
I have fond memories of that location. That strip plaza has since been replaced by a Shoppers Drug Mart

There was an abandoned St. Hubert on Lawrence Ave E (directly west of the CPR rail line) for well over a decade. It had the signage intact, but was empty for years. I think the only time I ate at one of the restaursnts was while coming home from a conference my dad had to attend in Quebec City in 1988, I believe.

Uncle Testu's has opened a Japanese maid-style cafe on 191 Dundas St. W

http://www.blogto.com/cafes/uncle-tetsu-angel-cafe-toronto

Uncle Tetsu's Angel Cafe may just be Toronto's - and possibly Canada's - only Japanese maid-style cafe. It might not have been the first, as another existed at one point, (there's also a pop-up charity version), but this appears to be the only permanent one located downtown in a burgeoning Little Japan. Unlike its space-challenged, takeout-only Japanese cheesecake- and matcha-focused Uncle Tetsu siblings nearby at Bay and Dundas, there's plenty of room in this two-storey building that used to be a printing house, with seating for 72 customers on the second floor that includes a mix of couches, booths and chairs at tables

Upstairs, maid-like "angels" greet cafe patrons with a welcoming irrashaimase! dressed in cutesy cosplay French-maid outfits. While they take food and drink orders and enthusiastically serve customers, there is an emphasis on "maid-like"; the intention here is just to introduce and ease Canadians into this aspect of Japanese culture.

The Marquis of Granby closed at Church/Carlton. Looks like they didn't pay their rent, and landlord has taken possession.

Back