News   Apr 23, 2024
 170     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 910     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 294     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

One Pizza at King & Jarvis has temporarily closed for a rebrand. Sign says it will reopen 18 January as True True Pizza.

I love this takedown of Azure in the Toronto Star.

It's unfortunate it has taken this long to penetrate into the media world that the descriptions on many menus are flat out lies. Hard to blame the restaurant owners though, given how lucrative it is to throw around gastronomic terms and rope in foodie idiots who are there only to share what they ate on Instagram. I'm sure they won't be updating their captions to note their "$200 Wagyu Beef steak" was actually flap meat you can buy from Loblaws for $3.50.

It's not at all limited to fancy pants restaurants. A former local pub, Stout in Cabbagetown, says their hamburgers are served with "Bermuda Onions". Those are a variety which have been all but extinct for decades.

Last edited:
I like a nice Montreal bagel. I love Toronto, and there are many many things that Torontonians are good at, but producing decent bagels is rarely one of them.

Do you remember Goldfish in the Annex? Lovely place. Anyway, they used to have a Montreal bagel item on their brunch menu. First time I saw it, I was very happy and ordered it. It arrived at the table with the typical crap bagel one can find anywhere in Toronto. I said "this is not a Montreal bagel" to the waiter, who simply shrugged and said "What do I know? I'm from Calgary."

14 years later, I am still bitter. ;)

I liked everything about Goldfish other than the noise level in there: there wasn't a single sound absorbing surface in the joint. Never had the Montreal bagel, but they served a tasty ostrich entree.

I liked everything about Goldfish other than the noise level in there: there wasn't a single sound absorbing surface in the joint. Never had the Montreal bagel, but they served a tasty ostrich entree.

turns out the ostrich was emu....you can't believe anything ;)

Hero Burger has closed at Queen/Spadina

Although I'm very excited to see what will come here next.

The food quality and taste was so inconsistent, specially at this location. You never knew what your burger and fries were going to be like. That's a big problem for a franchise. I used to go there often but I'm glad that they're gone.

Hopefully not yet another Starbucks but I'd bet some decent money that that's exactly what's going here. Lettieri did reasonably well at this location for years despite being a far less known brand. No doubt that Starbucks has been circling around, hoping to snap it up.

Based on plans for the Manulife Centre's retail remake now up on the city's planning web pages, it's all but certain that Eataly is going in. I've posted details regarding square footage, which floors, where, in the Manulife Centre thread in the Buildings section.

I love this takedown of Azure in the Toronto Star.

It's unfortunate it has taken this long to penetrate into the media world that the descriptions on many menus are flat out lies. Hard to blame the restaurant owners though, given how lucrative it is to throw around gastronomic terms and rope in foodie idiots who are there only to share what they ate on Instagram. I'm sure they won't be updating their captions to note their "$200 Wagyu Beef steak" was actually flap meat you can buy from Loblaws for $3.50.

It's not at all limited to fancy pants restaurants. A former local pub, Stout in Cabbagetown, says their hamburgers are served with "Bermuda Onions". Those are a variety which have been all but extinct for decades.

Someone squealed on Azure. A lot of restaurants do this. I worked 10 years in the business. So many fine dining restaurants make bogus claims on their menus , they use words like "fresh", "local" or "hand-made" " dishes. Those locally "organic grown vegetables, came from the Chinatown. And don't order the Kobe beef burgers or sliders, you might as well just throw your money out the window. Send the burger for testing. you wont find any traces of Kobe beef in the burger!!

Back