Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

This is actually a very attractive proposal. You can't say you like the Four Seson's and not like this. It's very nice.

As far as restoring precast, what would be the benefit of that? It would be expensive and provide no benefit whatsoever.

There are some buildings that should be protected and we should rally around those buildings and not spend so much time worrying about this type of improvement.

There are some buildings that should be protected and we should rally around those buildings and not spend so much time worrying about this type of improvement.

Though to be fair, even if 480 Uni's more of a second-string skyscraper landmark by 60s T-Dot standards, there's precedent for buildings of that scale and vintage and place-on-the-pecking-order being listed/designated and retained--take 11 King W and 110 Yonge, for example.

11KingStW.jpg
CanadaTrustBuilding1.jpg

With precedent like that, it isn't as if it's totally out of line to rally for 480 University.

And even if it isn't of Mies-level importance (and stands aloof of the street corner in classic 60s skyscraper-urbanism fashion), to go so far as to label the existing building "butt ugly" strikes me as obtuse. It's benign.

It's a fine little building that tries hard to be lovely.

I could see the precast panels being replicated exactly - in stone, or new concrete composite, or partially transparent concrete (yep, it exists!), or even glass. At least the building could look the same and at least gain durability. If they owners wanted to up the game, it could become quite lucent and stunning.

With the addition and similar precast artfully deployed, the addition would look more like a fluted column with more emphasis on texture and verticality than a box or slab would give.

I wouldn't expect any of this from a developer so cheap he can't even afford an original idea. Lets hope at the very least, that a new design is thought up.

It's a copy of a nice building. but with a fat bottom. Similar to some people I've met. It's nothing to look twice at. If constructed as is, it will disappear in the city landscape without a second glance.

It's nothing to look twice at. If constructed as is, it will disappear in the city landscape without a second glance.

I agree, what makes it any more special than say....the Rio.Can buildings @ Yonge and Eglinton that are about to get additional floors and re-clad.:confused:

Next thing you know, (even though these office buildings are outdated and in need of repair).....we will have individuals rallying against any new development plans to structures like, The Star bldg., 2 Bloor east, Simpson Tower, etc. etc. etc.:eek:

Next thing you know, (even though these office buildings are outdated and in need of repair).....we will have individuals rallying against any new development plans to structures like, The Star bldg., 2 Bloor east, Simpson Tower, etc. etc. etc.:eek:

Then again, unlike the Star, 2 Bloor, or Yonge-Eglinton, 480 University isn't of that loathed "heart of the corporate Brutalist era". It's earlier, more delicate stuff--much more akin to my aforementioned 11 King W and 110 Yonge cases.

(And so is the Simpson Tower, even if it's stylistically more of the Brutalist era. That you'd even consider it worthy of this kind of makeover is, well, pretty destructively ignorant on your part.)

Its great that they are keeping the 18 floors of office:cool:

480 UNIVERSITY AVE
OPA / Rezoning 12 236896 STE 20 OZ Ward 20
- Tor & E.York Aug 28, 2012 --- --- --- ---
Rezoning application for a 55-storey building (total). Proposes to maintain 18-storey office building and build 37-storeys of residential above. - 453 Residential units - 3 additional levels of underground parking -158 parking spaces

How do they build a 37 floor add on above an 18 floor building????? Wouldnt that require the existing building to have monstrously deep foundations?

How do they build a 37 floor add on above an 18 floor building????? Wouldnt that require the existing building to have monstrously deep foundations?

^ same question i have.

and speaking of the Yonge/Egg re-clad... when is it actually happening? have they even started yet?

^ same question i have.

and speaking of the Yonge/Egg re-clad... when is it actually happening? have they even started yet?

I emailed RIOCAN to ask a couple months ago ... no reply :(

I also think that it is a deep shame that they would completely eliminate the current precast cladding, which I think is both handsome and representative of a distinct era of modern architectural history. Do something to improve the base, sure, but does it really mean that you also have to strip this building of all of its original character?

I totally agree. I was walking by this building yesterday and took note again of how nice the cladding design is.
It would be nice if it was taller but not if that meant it's destruction. I would be ok with a renovation only if the existing design was just extended upwards or complimented in some way.

Back