468     0 

Report: U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Link to article

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people

By Laura MacInnis Tue Aug 28, 1:25 PM ET

GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.

U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.

About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.

"There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.

India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.

Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.

On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.

France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.

"Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.

"Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.

The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.

Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.

"Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.

Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.

Indians have purchases many weapons after the great unrest in that country in the 80;s and 90's...

I know my grandpa in India went from having a wood stick in the 70's to a double barrel shotgun and a revolver today.

Its not excess really, some messed up crap happens near his house.

Finland makes some sense, like Canada, it is largely a wilderness, rural country. Switzerland makes sense due to its policy of mandatory military service and tradition of a citizen army.

Of course, the per capita measure can also be a little deceptive. Among my friends living in the U.S., only one has guns - almost enough to arm all my other friends there.

Of all the things that irritate me about the US, this is at the very top of the list.

I remember going down to California for a two-week project, several years ago, and having part of my rental car sprayed with low-caliber bullets on the passenger side, right on a Los Angeles freeway. I never found out who the target might have been, or more basically, why this was happening at all with so many police on the road in plain view. Like the wild west and thoroughly disgusting, to say nothing about the danger it posed.

Those statistics about guns purchased to protect - that end up killing a relative or a friend or a neighbour - become just water over the bridge. I am not, of course, talking about hunting guns that are locked up, but the guns that are carried to the bedroom, or in the motor car, or somewhere nearby, all to use when needed. I suppose that "secondary purchases" used to protect oneself against those who already have guns, is part of this crazy logic as well. This is followed by the escalation to get the advantage again, with counter-escalation to prevent that advantage from being used.

With homicide and suicide rates among the highest in the world, it was time, long ago, that the US would begin to re-examine this lifestyle, and adopt some type of serious gun control - for legal, and as importantly, illegal guns. But how likely will it be that any of this action will seriously happen? It would probably take a minor miracle.

^^^i guess the MAD concept doesn't work for guns the same way it works for nukes.

Finland makes some sense, like Canada, it is largely a wilderness, rural country. Switzerland makes sense due to its policy of mandatory military service and tradition of a citizen army.

Then again, there is a very large rural population in the United States as well.

Back