Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

From Monday. I was very surprised to see two of the Dickinson designed high-rises south of Dundas abandoned and fenced off, awaiting demolition. I had no idea that those large towers were set to be torn down as well. I must admit though that walking around there was a pretty eerie experience. I can totally see why these sorts of housing developments are now considered a complete failure, as they feel like prisons, cut off from the rest of the city and society. Bring on the re-integrated street grid and fresh, modern buildings.

IMG_1007.jpg
IMG_1012.jpg
IMG_1010.jpg
IMG_1020.jpg
IMG_1014.jpg
IMG_1015.jpg
IMG_1011.jpg
IMG_1009.jpg
IMG_1008.jpg
IMG_1019.jpg
IMG_1018.jpg
IMG_1021.jpg
IMG_1022.jpg
IMG_1016.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1007.jpg
    IMG_1007.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_1020.jpg
    IMG_1020.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_1014.jpg
    IMG_1014.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_1015.jpg
    IMG_1015.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_1009.jpg
    IMG_1009.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1019.jpg
    IMG_1019.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_1016.jpg
    IMG_1016.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 589
Last edited by a moderator:
From Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 405
from urbanation's twitter feed,

Next market tower by Daniels in Regent Park Phase II to be named Paintbox, above new Arts & Cultural centre south of Dundas East

That's funny, the rendering of the arts centre did not show a condo above it. I believe the rendering showed a 4 level complex. Where did that tower come from?

The redesigned Arts & Cultural Center looks like nothing you've seen. The tower does indeed use the new center as a 'podium' as depicted in the photo above. It will also share underground space (and therefore a hole) with the new tower - something which can be seen if one visits the site.

*Hint - a render of the redesigned complex currently adorns a sign on the north-east end of the site, visit for a preview.

The redesigned Arts & Cultural Center looks like nothing you've seen. The tower does indeed use the new center as a 'podium' as depicted in the photo above. It will also share underground space (and therefore a hole) with the new tower - something which can be seen if one visits the site.

*Hint - a render of the redesigned complex currently adorns a sign on the north-east end of the site, visit for a preview.

I don't think your right. First of all, the pic above, clearly shows the condo beside the arts centre. I was at the site today and the pics on the site also seem to put the condo beside the arts centre. Lastly, the hole seems to only go about 2 levels down. They have partly completed the first level. Assuming there will be a basement, that only leaves one level for parking. (two at the very most) Can you build a condo this tall with only 1 or 2 levels of underground parking? The hole seems to be a little large (not deep) for just an arts centre but that's what it seems like to me. I also can't find a single rendering that shows the condo on top of the arts centre. I guess we'll find out soon, as this building seems to be going up fast.

An update video of Regent Park (Arts Centre, Youth Hub, Christian Centre) and a look inside the new FreshCo.
[video=youtube;2_OUEDGgmNk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_OUEDGgmNk[/video]

Thanks a lot for that, Torontovibe.

I can't wait for Toronto's core to be completely revitalized. Once the Distillery is completed, the West Don Lands are built, the Bayside developments are done, etc. The historic core of the city will probably become one of the most aesthetically pleasing and livable places in this continent.

^^ You're welcome. Once the reputation of the East End changes, and I'm sure it will, I think this will open up all kinds of new opprotunities for development and creating interesting districts. Good things are coming. The West Don Lands & Distillery, will also help with that. I want to see the streets come alive with animation.

^^ You're welcome. Once the reputation of the East End changes, and I'm sure it will, I think this will open up all kinds of new opprotunities for development and creating interesting districts. Good things are coming. The West Don Lands & Distillery, will also help with that. I want to see the streets come alive with animation.

I'd like to find out the attitudes of the residents these days with the rash of shootings last month. I know these were targeted, but it certainly doesn't do morale any good I'm sure. Plus I think there is a perception that even though these people were targets, people probably don't want to risk being hit by a stray bullet happening to be at the wrong time at the wrong place. To add insult to injury, it seems like the press constantly publishes articles calling Regent Park revitalization a massive failure as there is so much fear in the community. It would be good to know what the real situation is there and if residents are fearful to leave their homes after dark. Until people there feel good about this revitalization, the reputation will still be in the doldrums I think.

Last edited:
it seems like the press constantly publishes articles calling Regent Park revitalization a massive failure as there is so much fear in the community..

Really? I've never read a single negative article about the revitalization as being a massive failure. Then again it's nowhere near complete. And I don't read The Sun.

Back