Toronto Paintbox | ?m | 26s | Daniels | Diamond Schmitt

I'd love to have some of that art in my own place. It's amazing what a bit of color can do. Also, little details like this go a long way. Need more of this stuff around the city.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    954.1 KB · Views: 1,722
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    875.3 KB · Views: 1,691
Last edited by a moderator:
…speaking of which building, the Daniels Spectrum has won another award recently:

CULTURAL CENTER WINS GREAT PLACES AWARD
Third international award for game-changing facility

TORONTO, May 28, 2015 – Daniels Spectrum, the transformative cultural center at the heart of a regenerated Regent Park community in downtown Toronto, received a Great Places Award at a ceremony in Los Angeles on May 27th as part of the 46th annual conference of the Environmental Design Research Association (EDRA).

The EDRA Great Places Awards recognize professional and scholarly excellence in environmental design and pay special attention to the relationship between physical form and human activity or experience.

Designed by Diamond Schmitt Architects, Daniels Spectrum provides professional performance, rehearsal, learning and social enterprise space for community-based arts and cultural groups. “It is an honor to be recognized with a Great Places Award,” said Donald Schmitt, Principal, Diamond Schmitt Architects. “The design objective was to facilitate interaction among the tenants, students and the public and to make the center a vibrant and welcoming crossroads for the community.” Operated by the non-profit Artscape, the colourful 60,000-square-foot LEED Silver certified facility is highly versatile and tenant groups worked with the architects to design their studios with their audiences in mind.

Seema Jethalal, Managing Director of Daniels Spectrum, said, “Artscape is extremely pleased to be acknowledged with the Great Places Award. Every day, we see the realization of a dream to build a place where people experience arts, culture and creativity, and we’re thrilled that others are looking to Artscape and Daniels Spectrum as a model for cities and environments of the future.”

Tenants include Native Earth Performing Arts, Regent Park School of Music and COBA Collective of Black Artists. ArtHeart Community Art Centre, Pathways to Education, the Regent Park Film Festival and the Centre for Social Innovation round-out the seven resident groups.

Daniels Spectrum has previously been honored with a Civic Trust Award in 2015, Good Design is Good Business Award from Architectural Record Magazine in 2014, and Best New Venue in Canada for Meetings and Events from the BizBash Event Style Awards in 2013. It is named for The Daniels Corporation, the developer in partnership with Toronto Community Housing Corporation revitalizing the 69-acre post-war public housing community with 5,115 rent-geared-to-income and market rate residential units and amenities.

To view the 6-min. video, The Making of Daniels Spectrum, please click here:
[video=youtube;nPyMioOQElk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPyMioOQElk[/video]

The communal bake oven at The Big Park in Regent Park. I have to say that the programming here is stellar and attracts people from all over the eastern part of downtown. True community building!

I saw Dan Bergeron's art in person for the first time yesterday night. These really are gorgeous.

DSC02176.jpg

DSC02177.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

DSC02181.jpg

DSC02182.jpg

DSC02183.jpg

DSC02184.jpg

DSC02185.jpg

DSC02186.jpg

I'm not a fan of every piece of art this city has ended up with as a result of the 1% for public art program, but I think the vast majority of works we have ended up with have been quite engaging, and are becoming quite the boon for Toronto. These portraits are really something special.

Attachments

• DSC02176.jpg
    DSC02176.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 718
  • DSC02177.jpg
    DSC02177.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 719
  • DSC02180.jpg
    DSC02180.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 715
  • DSC02181.jpg
    DSC02181.jpg