News   Apr 16, 2024
 447     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 807     0 

Toronto Raptors

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
What defines "popular"?

Attendance at games? TV ratings? Merchandise sales? Tweets? This sounds like a fools errand to track.

Toronto & the GTA are starting to produce lots of good basketball players as well.

Last year, a Anthony Bennett, raised in Jane & Finch and Brampton became the first Canadian to be picked first at the NBA draft in history.

This year, the 1st draft pick was yet again a Canadian from the GTA: Andrew Wiggins from Vaughan.

Sim Bhullar from North York this year became the first NBA player of Indian descent.

So, history is being made here. Basketball is taking off in the immigrant-heavy GTA suburbs. Also, I just read that the first NBA game ever played was between: Toronto Huskies and NY Knicks.

Personally, I don't see it taking anything away from the Leafs or Toronto's hockey traditions. Many Raptors fans are also Leafs fans and vice versa. Toronto having a sports team do well and make the playoffs is great thing.

Technically they played the first BAA game. It was a forerunner to the NBA, but the Huskies were toast before the modern NBA was conceived

So I guess you never participate in popular culture then. This is just like those people who bash top 40 music the radio all day. Lower scoring in hockey is being looked at as a problem by Gary Bettman and the rest of the brass so I guess clearly they disagree. Like I said, why should people support Canadian Sports because they are canadian?
What in my post could possibly make you conclude that I never participate in pop culture or that I watch hockey solely because it's Canadian? I never implied anything of the sort. Of course I participate in pop culture. But that doesn't mean that I like Transformers better than Memento just because it had a bigger cultural impact. I don't think that Nickleback is any less terrible just because they're popular.

As for scoring, yes the NHL has tried to increase it in the last two decades or so. But a goal every 10 or 20 minutes is more of an event than a basket every 30 seconds, that's my point. Don't get me wrong, basketball games are fun, but the scoring is anticlimactic IMO. I think some sports have too much scoring (basketball, lacrosse) while others have too little (soccer). Sports like hockey, football, and rugby have about the right amount, IMO. I suppose it's all personal preference.

I think a lot of people just feel alienated by hockey In Toronto, unless you are someone and get free tickets or want to spend half a mortgage payment on tickets/night out they are something that is just on TV. - hard to make life long connection like that.

Luckily I was born in Montreal and love true hockey greatness and can focus my local attention on the Raptors n Jays.

What in my post could possibly make you conclude that I never participate in pop culture or that I watch hockey solely because it's Canadian? I never implied anything of the sort. Of course I participate in pop culture. But that doesn't mean that I like Transformers better than Memento just because it had a bigger cultural impact. I don't think that Nickleback is any less terrible just because they're popular.

As for scoring, yes the NHL has tried to increase it in the last two decades or so. But a goal every 10 or 20 minutes is more of an event than a basket every 30 seconds, that's my point. Don't get me wrong, basketball games are fun, but the scoring is anticlimactic IMO. I think some sports have too much scoring (basketball, lacrosse) while others have too little (soccer). Sports like hockey, football, and rugby have about the right amount, IMO. I suppose it's all personal preference.

I get the sense you're of the anti-basketball contingent who claim the game only gets interesting during the last 2 minutes. There seems to be an inherent yearning for the hockey-nuts to constantly relate various team sports back to hockey as if doing so will somehow validate a particular sports existence.

Yes, hockey is king in this country, but despite that fact, the game doesn't translate well to all segments of the Canadian population, for a multitude of reasons, and there is a definite changing of the guard occurring within many of the GTA's urban municipalities regarding sporting preferences. That reality is difficult for 40-something year olds like yourself to comprehend because it defies the traditional sporting landscape of this country, but it isn't something to scoff at but embrace and perhaps develop a less narrow-minded perspective of professional sports.

As for the current state of offensive production in the NHL, the defensive-oriented mindset that has overtaken the league over the last two decades has made the game far more boring to watch on most nights, to the point where you've got a sort of soccer-on-ice dynamic going on. And this is coming from a 24 year old white male who played 10 years in the GTHL. The best players cannot thrive as well as they could and that ultimately hurts the overall excitement and marketability of the game.

I think a lot of people just feel alienated by hockey In Toronto, unless you are someone and get free tickets or want to spend half a mortgage payment on tickets/night out they are something that is just on TV. - hard to make life long connection like that.

Luckily I was born in Montreal and love true hockey greatness and can focus my local attention on the Raptors n Jays.

The cheapest tickets for the Leafs are probably just over $100, assuming you want to have a seat (standing area is cheaper), and those seats are as far up as you can go. I've done this before, and I thought it was an alright view even though it was far, I still could see the game well.

The same sections for Raptors games can be $25-40.

With the Leafs though, they sometimes sell single tickets in really good sections (100's level) a day or two before for $100 ("selfie seats"). I used that offer, I was behind one of the goalies it was great. That seat would probably be $200-300 normally. It was also the day the Leafs beat Boston 6-2 ;)

To be honest though, at the risk of spurring the whole Raptors vs Leafs debate, I think Raptors games are more fun, the crowd is wilder and louder and generally more into it, tons of cheering.

Last edited:
No it doesn't. GTA high school basketball has always had a higher profile than (not then!) high school soccer.

Yes that is correct.....but that has a lot to do with seasonality. Soccer being a summer sport in Canada the focus of the higher level players was/is/always will be their clubs not their school.

Growing up I was a decent soccer player and played at a decent level.....but in school I was known as that guy that played on the basketball and volleyball teams. My soccer coaches actually preferred that I not play highschool soccer....3 reasons they gave 1) variety is good 2) playing against as many lower level players may expose a player to injury 3) they felt superior to the volunteer science teacher that might be my coach in school and did not want their players taught bad habits by those guys ;)

High school basketball (in most schools) has always had a higher profile than soccer and other sports like hockey. Probably the two biggest sports in high schools in Ontario have traditionally been basketball and football.....both of which have lesser developed club systems outside of school than sports like soccer and hockey.

I don't disagree. I feel that Hockey needs to learn to attract new communities though.
No it doesn't. GTA high school basketball has always had a higher profile than (not then!) high school soccer.
First off, I never mentioned high school sports anywhere in that post or the previous one, nor was it implied. If you are going to talk to me, stay on topic, or don't respond. And I'm not the only person posting, feel free to talk to other posters

Why shouldn't they? Most other countries support their local leagues.
People have a right to go support what they want. Most other countries are not besides the United States.
And

First off, I never mentioned high school sports anywhere in that post or the previous one, nor was it implied. If you are going to talk to me, stay on topic, or don't respond. And I'm not the only person posting, feel free to talk to other posters
Someone is testy.

All you said was that soccer has a bigger presence in the GTA, so it was implied. But if you want to compare Raptor and TFC ratings, basketball still wins out.

People have a right to go support what they want. Most other countries are not besides the United States.
And
So defending Canada is.....bad? I guess we should just bag the whole Canada deal and join the U.S.

Someone is testy.

All you said was that soccer has a bigger presence in the GTA, so it was implied. But if you want to compare Raptor and TFC ratings, basketball still wins out.
Probably because I wasn't talking to. And it wasn't implied, unless you know what's in my head.

So defending Canada is.....bad? I guess we should just bag the whole Canada deal and join the U.S.
And again, where was that implied. Stop being a liar.

Probably because I wasn't talking to. And it wasn't implied, unless you know what's in my head.
Talking to what/whom?

And again, where was that implied. Stop being a liar.
Right here when you said:
Like I said, why should people support Canadian Sports because they are canadian?
The implication is patently obvious.

I get the sense you're of the anti-basketball contingent who claim the game only gets interesting during the last 2 minutes. There seems to be an inherent yearning for the hockey-nuts to constantly relate various team sports back to hockey as if doing so will somehow validate a particular sports existence.

Yes, hockey is king in this country, but despite that fact, the game doesn't translate well to all segments of the Canadian population, for a multitude of reasons, and there is a definite changing of the guard occurring within many of the GTA's urban municipalities regarding sporting preferences. That reality is difficult for 40-something year olds like yourself to comprehend because it defies the traditional sporting landscape of this country, but it isn't something to scoff at but embrace and perhaps develop a less narrow-minded perspective of professional sports.

As for the current state of offensive production in the NHL, the defensive-oriented mindset that has overtaken the league over the last two decades has made the game far more boring to watch on most nights, to the point where you've got a sort of soccer-on-ice dynamic going on. And this is coming from a 24 year old white male who played 10 years in the GTHL. The best players cannot thrive as well as they could and that ultimately hurts the overall excitement and marketability of the game.
Actually basketball gets more boring in the last 2 minutes because of all the time outs :( I'm not sure why you're upset that I'm relating the thread to hockey...did you read the thread title?

In the NHL, scoring has been more or less steady since the late 90s, at around 5 goals per game. Soccer is half that, with an extra 30 minutes of playing time. And hockey is a much faster game than soccer, with a lot more scoring chances and shots on net. Completely different viewing experience. To me, too little scoring is like a pretentious art house film where nothing happens. Too much scoring is like a Michael Bay movie - so many explosions, chase scenes, and comedy relief that by the end it just doesn't matter anymore.

So apparently I'm in my 40s now, amazing how the time flies!! I could have sworn I was younger than that, but you clearly know best. Maybe when you reach my ripe old age you'll start to think for yourself instead of just doing what Drake tells you. See, two can play the age stereotypes game :cool:

In any case, I don't hate basketball, I've been to the odd game here and there. It just seems odd though that so many Raptors fans are so eager to bash hockey. TFC fans do it too. Really, who cares if another sport is more popular? Why not just enjoy your team's success?

Right here when you said:
The implication is patently obvious.
It's not and stop looking for things that are not there.

Actually basketball gets more boring in the last 2 minutes because of all the time outs :( I'm not sure why you're upset that I'm relating the thread to hockey...did you read the thread title?

In the NHL, scoring has been more or less steady since the late 90s, at around 5 goals per game. Soccer is half that, with an extra 30 minutes of playing time. And hockey is a much faster game than soccer, with a lot more scoring chances and shots on net. Completely different viewing experience. To me, too little scoring is like a pretentious art house film where nothing happens. Too much scoring is like a Michael Bay movie - so many explosions, chase scenes, and comedy relief that by the end it just doesn't matter anymore.

So apparently I'm in my 40s now, amazing how the time flies!! I could have sworn I was younger than that, but you clearly know best. Maybe when you reach my ripe old age you'll start to think for yourself instead of just doing what Drake tells you. See, two can play the age stereotypes game :cool:

In any case, I don't hate basketball, I've been to the odd game here and there. It just seems odd though that so many Raptors fans are so eager to bash hockey. TFC fans do it too. Really, who cares if another sport is more popular? Why not just enjoy your team's success?
I could have sworn you were 27 for some reason. At least I thought so. I think hockey just needs to attract the immigrant community more. It's too expensive now compared to when you were younger.

Last edited:

Back