Toronto Queens Quay & Water's Edge Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Why don't we just put up gates on the MGT at the stop boxes? That will cause cyclists to react and stop or move off of the trail. Maybe even have gates for the high traffic areas for pedestrians, so that when the red hand is on, the gate would be down and it would tell them to stop and not walk into the trail. I'm thinking gates like level rail crossings.

From dcstreetcar.com, at this link:

Flashing Yellow Signal at Starburst

In February 2015, the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) launched the first left-turn flashing yellow arrow in the District at the Starburst – the five-point intersection of H Street NE, Bladensburg Avenue NE, Benning Road NE, 15th Street NE and Maryland Avenue NE. The signal flashes a yellow arrow when vehicles are permitted to turn left from H Street NE onto Bladensburg Road NE and now replaces the traditional green signal at the intersection used to indicate the need for left-turning vehicles to yield to oncoming traffic and pedestrians.

The flashing signal enhances the safety and efficiency of the busy intersection and allows for safer operations of motorists and the DC Streetcar through the intersection.

The signal operates as follows:

FYA-Outreach11.png
All motorists should use caution when traveling through the intersection and follow all restrictions.​
Of course, Ontario, or Toronto for that matter, cannot and will not use the above arrow signal lights as indicated here, because it makes sense.
AFAIK there have been flashing turn signals in Waterloo ever since the flashing green was phased out. I don't live there so I am not sure that's when it started, but I have seen them many times.

You mean a flashing green left advance arrow? They use those in Durham as well. Traditional flashing left advance are very rare today, I can only think of one that I know of in Vaughan.

I counted about 700 bikes per hour westbound on Richmond at Spadina a couple months ago. Looks like College Street has been seriously knocked off its throne as the busiest bicycle street in Toronto (and therefore Ontario)!
Certainly Richmond is quite busy. College still has lots of peak commute hour cyclists. I was volunteering handing out bicycle lights last week and pretty astonished at the number of cyclists. I think one thing we're seeing as more protected infrastructure is coming into play is that the total cycle mode share is growing. Personally for long east-west journeys, I'm willing to detour a bit to get to good cycle infrastructure. Adelaide, however, is still a mess in the blocks surrounding Yonge.

AFAIK there have been flashing turn signals in Waterloo ever since the flashing green was phased out. I don't live there so I am not sure that's when it started, but I have seen them many times.

Flashing green and solid green arrows are the same thing. The flashing is just a leftover from the flashing advance turn on green days.

flashing green for advance left still exists in some places, but yes, if its a flashing green arrow it has no meaning, its the same as a regular arrow. Whether they flash or not is usually dependent on municipality. Durham Region`s flash, but York Region`s and Toronto`s don`t.

Flashing green and solid green arrows are the same thing. The flashing is just a leftover from the flashing advance turn on green days.
The point was that someone said flashing left turn arrows do not exist in Ontario.

The point was that someone said flashing left turn arrows do not exist in Ontario.

That person is more or less correct, in that there is no such thing as a flashing arrow in Ontario with any meaning. Flashing red and amber lights are different indications than solid red and amber lights, whereas a flashing green arrow means the exact same thing as a solid green arrow.

I'm not actually sure why we would need a flashing yellow arrow in Ontario as lefts are always permitted on green unless a separate left turn signal is installed. I suppose in the case that a separate left turn signal is installed, a flashing yellow signal would allow drivers to make the turn as if there was not a separate left turn signal.

They sadly decided a new telephone pole is needed at the Beer Store entrance. Riped out a few blocksand piled one into the ground today. No idea what the use is for.

Back