Toronto QRC West (Queen Richmond Centre West) | 71.93m | 17s | Allied | Sweeny &Co

I'd like to see the Toronto sign suspended from the atrium ceiling at some point…

These are from two nights ago:

DSC03338.jpg
DSC03342.jpg

DSC03330.jpg
DSC03329.jpg

Attachments

• DSC03329.jpg
    DSC03329.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 1,555
  • DSC03330.jpg
    DSC03330.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 1,541
  • DSC03338.jpg
    DSC03338.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 1,570
  • DSC03342.jpg
    DSC03342.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 1,516
The first two tenants, e-one and Diageo, have taken occupancy of their initial floors in QRC West. The building is now occupied.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been posted before - but an interesting article from Architect Magazine:
http://www.architectmagazine.com/awards/r-d-awards/citation-queen-richmond-centre-west_o

The Journal of the American Institute of Architects also recognized QRC West, with an R+D Award for its architectural, engineering solutions and innovations. The American Institute of Architects issues the R+D Awards annually to nine projects out of hundreds of entries, celebrating the most innovative building research, materials, and technologies worldwide.

Interesting, Diageo used to be up at Burnhamthorpe and 427 - looks like it's another example of relocation to the core.

AoD
I am note sure whether the entire 427 and Burnhamthorpe Diageo office would be relocating downtown, whether it might be part of the office, or whether it is expansion of the existing Diageo office space into a new downtown location. From the Allied 2014 Annual Report, the section on Leasing Activity (Page 43):

(vii) the lease of approximately 11,500 square feet of GLA at QRC West, Phase I, to Diageo Canada for a term of 10 years commencing August 1, 2015;

The older base section is wonderful but the glass box on top is as utilitarian, sterile, and monotonous as you will find anywhere.

This isn't a 3 dressed up as a 9 but rather a 3 on top of a 9.

This is what Toronto does best - saving an old industrial brick building by building a boring glass box on top. The street level is beautiful and the lobby looks very cool. The rest of the tower is utilitarian, but that is ok as it needs to have practical uses for an office, and rectangles are the most efficient shape.

Alright, I'll stick my neck out: I think that this building--at least in these pictures and particularly in the first one--looks gorgeous. The subtle patterning down the elevator wall is interesting without being busy, the fins are attractive, and the glass is rather tastefully reflective without looking like it's 1984 again.

I also think that the contrast between the warm-red brick stores on Queen and the cool, blue hue of the glass is interesting and tasteful.

Back