News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 334     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 902     0 

Quebec-Windsor Corridor

If I understand G&W's business model, they expect their railways to financially stand on their own merits.

OVR, like most other shortlines, simply leases the railway from CPKC. Prior to abandonment, their revenue was bridge traffic for CP. Once CP decided to route everything through Toronto, the line made no financial sense. South of Mattawa (Temiskaming) there was very little revenue. I don't know the abandonment process intimately, but I would assume that if it was being sold to an operating railway, it would go for more than scrap value.

Short of nationalization or some other form of public support, for-profit companies will act like for-profit companies.
The bridging is what CP did not want OVR to do.

The bridging is what CP did not want OVR to do.
No, running revenue from the west via their Ottawa Valley route to Montreal et al was something CP (and earlier, CN) determined they no longer needed. It is similar to why CN severed their Newmarket sub. They determined that having two routes running between Toronto and Washago made no sense once their was little to no enroute revenue.

No, running revenue from the west via their Ottawa Valley route to Montreal et al was something CP (and earlier, CN) determined they no longer needed. It is similar to why CN severed their Newmarket sub. They determined that having two routes running between Toronto and Washago made no sense once their was little to no enroute revenue.
I understand that. They were streamlining their service.

That assumes they had the financial wherewithal to absorb and maintain that purchase alone. Corridors of this sort should not come down to chance, just as the province should acquire the HCR if the current ownership walks away,

Edit: I forgot that OVR was a G&W division. So they probably had the means, but their owners likely did not care to spend their own money.
I don’t know about you, but if there is a legal entitlement to purchase a ROW at salvage value, but the ROW is dismantled without any sale, I’m much more inclined to blame the lack of motivation on the prospective buyer’s than on the current owner’s side…

Last edited:
I don’t know about you, but if there is a legal entitlement to purchase a ROW at salvage value, but the ROW is dismantled without any sale, I’m much more inclined to blame the lack of motivation on the prospective buyer’s than on the current owner’s side…
Sounds like the line to Orangeville.

The last Corridor Renaissance set seems to disappear next month, making the QMOs all-Siemens:
IMG_5235.jpeg

I usually take trains 668 and 69. How come they never use the new trains?
The new trainsets are currently (i.e., as of April 8) used for #668 on Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays:

The new trainsets are currently (i.e., as of April 8) used for #668 on Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays:
I always take train 668 on a Wednesday so I guess that's why I haven't seen it yet.

Back