News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.5K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 524     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Putting GTA on world map

Hopefully we won't be remembered for holding the title of worst drivers though :rolleyes:

I'm actually surprised that the GTA/GGH's place on the world map. We're already the 5th largest city in North America. Right now, we might just have the edge by a hair, but we're supposed to grow to 7.7 million or something by 2025. And that's just the GTA! Not counting Hamilton, Barrie or the rest of the GGH that should be counted as our metro area like other cities do. That means that by 2025, the GGH could easily be over 10 million people, which would count as the "metropolitan area" of most other cities. I wonder if we'll be recognized like Chicago or Paris by then?

Looks like a traitor in the 'war on cars'.

Hopefully we won't be remembered for holding the title of worst drivers though :rolleyes:

I'm actually surprised that the GTA/GGH's place on the world map. We're already the 5th largest city in North America. Right now, we might just have the edge by a hair, but we're supposed to grow to 7.7 million or something by 2025. And that's just the GTA! Not counting Hamilton, Barrie or the rest of the GGH that should be counted as our metro area like other cities do. That means that by 2025, the GGH could easily be over 10 million people, which would count as the "metropolitan area" of most other cities. I wonder if we'll be recognized like Chicago or Paris by then?

Well when they predict the GTA getting that big I wonder if they say that keeping in mind Hamilton might soon be considered a part of the GTA or the "metropolitan area".

Well when they predict the GTA getting that big I wonder if they say that keeping in mind Hamilton might soon be considered a part of the GTA or the "metropolitan area".
It's a bit weird with that. If you look at something like "Metro Chicago," it's area is actually significantly larger than even the Golden Horseshoe on it's own, so the GTA, Hamilton and Niagara. Even if you look at that, "Metro Toronto" now has a population of 6.5 million. Adding in some extra area from Guelph and Waterloo, maybe the strip up to Barrie, that can easily go up to 7 million.

I think that the government will be happy to keep the populations separate. The way the GGH's evolving (with the Greenbelt in effect and everything,) it looks like the individual cities will form much more of a network than most other cities in the world. If the cities actually develop their own urban core and don't just become bedroom communities like many places in the US, Toronto, the GTA and the GGH could actually be quite a unique region. It would make sense for things like the list of largest urban areas to say "Golden Horseshoe" rather than "Toronto," because they take our population from what StatCan says. In reality, we have almost 3 million more people than that 5.5 million.

It's always the same kind of person who drives these BMW utes: house wife, fake tan, one hand holding the cell phone, other hand holding a starbucks coffee. Steering with her knees.

edit: Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited:

Back