1.5K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 525     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     0 

Property Taxes in the GTA

B

Baghai747

Which area in the GTA has the highest property tax rate?

Is there a prize for getting the right answer? A monster home in Vaughan perhaps?

I assme your question relates to residential properties. Durham Region runs significantly higher than other areas in the GTA.

A few tax rates, for residential properties, expressed as a percentage of the assessed value, in ascending order:

Toronto: 0.8308587%
Milton (urban part): 0.900159%
Mississauga: 0.972379%
Vaughan: 0.981623%
Richmond Hill: 0.986331%
Oakville: 0.986562%
Markham: 0.988053%
King: 1.034321%
Brampton: 1.145327%
Pickering: 1.293052%
Ajax: 1.324024%
Whitby: 1.326721%
Clarington: 1.333744%
Oshawa: 1.652185%

Toronto is the lowest in the GTA. Milton has low rates partly because they benefit from "slots" at Mohawk Raceway.

A comment: As has been discussed here once or twice previously, Toronto has kept residential tax rates low for many years by maintaining the highest rates, by far, on industrial and commercial properties. Miller pledged three years ago to phase in a correction to this situation, over a 15-year period, and residential rates in Toronto are therefore rising at a faster rate than for other municipalities. Some have (rightly or wrongly) blamed the current disparity for a flight of industrial and commercial development out of Toronto.

I won't set out a long list of tax rates for commercial properties. Suffice to say that Toronto (4.0634348% of assessed value) is a full percentage point higher than the next highest rates in the GTA (Clarington at 3.038680% and Ajax at 3.024587%).

The discrepancies aren't as large for industrial properties, but Toronto's tax rate for these is still above every other municipality in the GTA.

Thanks for the detail. It is quite surprising that Toronto has the lowest rate of them all. But if you think about it property value is higher in the city as opposed to Oshawa who has the highest tax rate but property value is this area is pretty low. So does it balance out? :p

One would think that in the city your taxes goto highways, existing infrastructure, public transportion etc. Compared to Oshawa who have limited public tranportation, one major highway ..how do u explain that?

The only highways in the GTA covered by property taxes are the DVP and Gardiner. Toronto is the only city in this situation. All the 400 series highways like the 401 in Oshawa are paid for by the province.

Many suburban cities are still pulling in large development charges that are considerably larger relative to those found in Toronto.

Toronto is the lowest in the GTA.
Yes, but our property tax bills are the highest due to inflated property prices. My brother has a four bedroom detached house in Mississauga and pays less total property tax than I do on my small Cabbagetown semi.

Toronto's property taxes as a total, not as a % are competitive with the rest of the GTA.

Back