636     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Prime corner locations with old low rises

kkgg7

Banned
Member Bio
Reaction score
I notice the following prime locations are actually and surprisingly occupied by very old low rises yet to be developed:

1) North West corner of Yonge/Temperance (a block north of King). Currently some empty looking dilapidated four story building

2) North West corner of Dundas/Bay. Currently a hardware store and something else, just south of the bus terminal

3) North east corner of Dundas/Victoria, the building where construction materials fell a few days ago. formerly Hakim eyeglasses

4) South East Corner of Richmond E and Victoria, a fairly big parking lot. As well as an old empty building next to it.

5) South West corner of Yonge/Bloor. I am sure everyone is familiar with that store. the building itself is in good condition, however, with the development surrounding it, it feels so out of place.

also:
Dundas street West between Bay and University, on both south and north side. total waste of space. All those little houses should be replaced. I hope they are not "historic" buildings.

Church street between Dundas and Queen, particularly around Dundas, total disasters. Church is still a fair distance from Regent/Moss Park, and there is no reason for this stretch to be so neglected. Sandwitched between vibant Gay village/Ryerson and St Lawrence Market area, it looks in such despair.

Individual responses below.

I notice the following prime locations are actually and surprisingly occupied by very old low rises yet to be developed:

1) North West corner of Yonge/Temperance (a block north of King). Currently some empty looking dilapidated four story building
Historic building, but in rough shape, could be alright with it getting a 1KW facade job. Temperance is a more minor street, but Yonge obviously is not.

2) North West corner of Dundas/Bay. Currently a hardware store and something else, just south of the bus terminal
Again, historic building. If I recall correctly there is a proposal for the bus terminal, and the southwest corner is being developed. I actually rather like this building on the corner though.

3) North east corner of Dundas/Victoria, the building where construction materials fell a few days ago. formerly Hakim eyeglasses
Something built there recently, was there not?

4) South East Corner of Richmond E and Victoria, a fairly big parking lot. As well as an old empty building next to it.
Anybody who's read my posts on the matter knows this is my favourite lot. It's very large, which means it could definitely support a very tall building, it's on 2 relatively main streets in Richmond and Victoria, set back from the main cluster of towers, so it would add something else to the East/West skyline views, and would add to the view from the lake without overpowering anything. Perfect spot for eastern expansion of the CBD, in my opinion.

5) South West corner of Yonge/Bloor. I am sure everyone is familiar with that store. the building itself is in good condition, however, with the development surrounding it, it feels so out of place.
I agree, with the tall buildings on the 3 other corners, this will look out of place very soon. Could do the facade job as well.

also:
Dundas street West between Bay and University, on both south and north side. total waste of space. All those little houses should be replaced. I hope they are not "historic" buildings.
1. Historic buildings. Well, some of them. But also 2. I thought you weren't allowed to build taller than City Hall there? Am I correct?

Church street between Dundas and Queen, particularly around Dundas, total disasters. Church is still a fair distance from Regent/Moss Park, and there is no reason for this stretch to be so neglected. Sandwitched between vibant Gay village/Ryerson and St Lawrence Market area, it looks in such despair.
I like the look they have going now, but once the real downtown gets over there, hopefully we'll be seeing some of the 50's, 60's and 70's eyesores go before the historic Victorians.

Yeah, maybe the more-prime corner locations are those with not-so-old low-rises--some of which (like the King/Spadina LCBO) are already slated for redevelopment...

Thinking around my nabe, S/W corner of Church & Bloor, S/E corner of Church & Mutual, N/E & S/W corners Shuter & Church, parking lot on w. side of Jarvis south of Isabella & many more. There are so many development opportunities on the downtown east side without tearing anything down.

Now that we have 530 Condos at the NW corner of St. Clair & Bathurst, the Petro-Canada at the NE corner, and the old building at the SE corner (which is currently undergoing renovations).

GOOD NEWS: The corner of Yonge and Temperance is being restored and retroffited and will be re-let to retailers and office tenants. Same new owner of the Flatiron Building

GOOD NEWS: The corner of Yonge and Temperance is being restored and retroffited and will be re-let to retailers and office tenants. Same new owner of the Flatiron Building

Yes, I was pleased to find that too a couple of days ago. I am positive they will make something nice out of it.

Yes, I was pleased to find that too a couple of days ago. I am positive they will make something nice out of it.

I'm not sure what you're so pleased at finding. It does not sound like they are tearing it down to be "developed" as per your desires.

I'm not sure what you're so pleased at finding. It does not sound like they are tearing it down to be "developed" as per your desires.

if you think I prefer tearing down all buildings and replace it with an glassy Aura, you are obviously wrong. There are many beautiful low-mid rise buildings in the city that need to be preserved. What I'd like to be "developed" are usually ugly 50's low rise buildings with no archetectural value yet occupying prime locations (example: stores on south side of Dundas W. between Bay and University.) I just happen to disagree with many of you who seem to think being old equals "historic".

I absolutely hate most of the glass towers such as Murano, believe it or not. In 10 years, they will look like crap. My favorite part of the city is King East, not Bay st. So stop speak for me.

You can't lump "ugly 50's low rise buildings" (or '60's/'70's) buildings into one. Each building should be assessed on an individual basis.

And besides, there's only one "ugly 50's low rise building" among the "stores on south side of Dundas W. between Bay and University" (that c1955ish curtain wall thing wedged in btw/One City Hall and the Motion site)

And besides, there's only one "ugly 50's low rise building" among the "stores on south side of Dundas W. between Bay and University" (that c1955ish curtain wall thing wedged in btw/One City Hall and the Motion site)

I don't know which one you were mentioning, but I think the building right on the corner of Dundas West and Center St which says "Mediterranean 2 go" is outrageously hideous. http://g.co/maps/qh6wu

do you happen to agree?

I don't know which one you were mentioning, but I think the building right on the corner of Dundas West and Center St which says "Mediterranean 2 go" is outrageously hideous. http://g.co/maps/qh6wu

do you happen to agree?

I disagree. It's just in a very bad state. You can take the most beautiful building in the world, give it that treatment, and turn it into something hideous.

If it was thoughtfully restored it wouldn't stand out as an eyesore. The metal-clad victim across the street is absolutely beyond salvation, however.

The aesthetics for retail in that general area are criminal for the most part.

do you happen to agree?

As per your earlier point, it's not 50s. You need a little vernacular-urban-fabric chronological literacy before you spout off.

As per your earlier point, it's not 50s. You need a little vernacular-urban-fabric chronological literacy before you spout off.

Fine. I am aware that you will find every excuse to nit-pick and disagree with me.

Back