News   Apr 24, 2024
 500     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 695     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 516     0 

Presto + bikeshareTO promo = unlimited bike rides all year at 1/2 price (new!)

Presto and Bike Share Toronto has apparently teamed up:

It looks like unlimited bike rides (up to 30 min each) all year long for $45+tax for Presto cardholders.

Today, this webpage appeared: https://www.bikesharetoronto.com/presto

I tested the shopping cart, and indeed -- $45+tax.
That's a pretty cool cross-promotion. Would be even better if you could use the Presto card to unlock the bikeshare racks. That would cut down on the number of things needed to carry.

That's a pretty cool cross-promotion. Would be even better if you could use the Presto card to unlock the bikeshare racks. That would cut down on the number of things needed to carry.

I had a group capstone project to do for this past year, and I pitched the tap to pay for bikeshare idea along with a few other things, unfortunately, they wanted to get their internship candidates work on that instead of getting it done for free.

Now if this were like Paris and the PRESTO card was your library card and it was like OCTOPUS in Hong Kong...

Well...at least we won't be carrying tiny aluminium discs any longer.

Now if this were like Paris and the PRESTO card was your library card and it was like OCTOPUS in Hong Kong...

Well...at least we won't be carrying tiny aluminium discs any longer.
Amen to that! I never feel bad anytime I get a free ride on the TTC because I feel like it balances out every time I lose a token!

I wish there was a BikeTO station near St. Clair and Bathurst. I'd bike everyday to Bathurst Station. It'd be far more reliable than using the dam 7 bus.

The shitty thing about this is that I now have to wait for a new Bike Share key in the mail, despite having just received a new one. It won't allow me to activate the discount on the key I already have. (Linked to my old account which expired a few weeks ago)

The shitty thing about this is that I now have to wait for a new Bike Share key in the mail, despite having just received a new one. It won't allow me to activate the discount on the key I already have. (Linked to my old account which expired a few weeks ago)
The lesson learned here would seem to be 'don't let your membership expire". (And if "a few weeks ago" was before the change-over in the summer we ALL had to get new keys - the old ones ceased to work.)

The lesson learned here would seem to be 'don't let your membership expire". (And if "a few weeks ago" was before the change-over in the summer we ALL had to get new keys - the old ones ceased to work.)

Why would I renew when I knew the discount was coming? I have one of the new keys. They sent it despite my membership expiring. There was no way to activate it with the Presto discount without setting up a new account and requesting a new key. You'll face the same issue when it comes time for you to renew next year.

The lesson should be for BikeShare... let us renew with the Presto discount instead of requiring a new account.

Why would I renew when I knew the discount was coming? I have one of the new keys. They sent it despite my membership expiring. There was no way to activate it with the Presto discount without setting up a new account and requesting a new key. You'll face the same issue when it comes time for you to renew next year.

The lesson should be for BikeShare... let us renew with the Presto discount instead of requiring a new account.
Good point but their discount is only for 'new members' - I understand that they want to get new people involved but I always think it's rather unfair to old and faithful customers when we don't get discounts while new people do (and Presto are certainly not the only people who do this!)

So I found something cool today!

You don't need a bixi key or card anymore! (they are giving out cards instead of keys now)

Download Transit App and you can unlock bikes using just a smart phone! Works like a charm!

So I found something cool today!

You don't need a bixi key or card anymore! (they are giving out cards instead of keys now)

Download Transit App and you can unlock bikes using just a smart phone! Works like a charm!

I was going to skip this promo because I didn't want to have to carry keys. I don't carry keys of any kind — or a wallet for that matter. My phone opens my doors and holds my cards.

The beauty of BikeShare is that I could grab a bike when I spontaneously need one, not when I plan for it. Being able to use an app changes that. I think I'll get a membership.

I was going to skip this promo because I didn't want to have to carry keys. I don't carry keys of any kind — or a wallet for that matter. My phone opens my doors and holds my cards.

The beauty of BikeShare is that I could grab a bike when I spontaneously need one, not when I plan for it. Being able to use an app changes that. I think I'll get a membership.
I'm surprised that more of these types of systems haven't implemented NFC capabilities. That could very effectively use your phone as a key.

This was one reason why I liked SoBi, as it can be reserved by app, by code, or by NFC tap card. No phone nor key needed at all -- can unlock by punching a code in the SoBi bike compute.

I am very glad Bike Share Toronto now can unlock bikes without a key!

Now they just need a smartbike add-on for BIXI bikeframes (permit locking away from dock hubs, Presto/NFC, find locked offhub bikes by GPS, etc) and we are golden!

I still find having a key easier than fumbling with my phone, opening the app, finding the station, and generating a code. I'm also not liking that they're sending cards instead of keys now since I'd have to open up my wallet. Keeping my key for as long as I can since I can undock a bike in like 5 seconds with it.

Back