News   Apr 18, 2024
 632     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

Former President Donald Trump's United States of America

This is the exact same thing Trudea said he admired about China: the ability of the government to do whatever it pleased without pesky checks and balances getting the way.

Maybe Trump and Trudeau get on so well for a reason.

The PM is still more powerful than the President in terms of actual power. If you have a majority here, the Senate rarely rejects a bill and the GG will give it royal assent. In contrast, the US often has divided government between the House, Senate and White House. If you don't control all three, nothing gets done and as is happening now, even total GOP control doesn't mean that bills can be passed.

Wait, so are you saying that Trudeau's a fan of the autocracies because he feels almost like one of them whilst Trump is more envious of them because he doesn't hold as much power in his own fiefdom? Makes sense to me.

This is the exact same thing Trudea said he admired about China: the ability of the government to do whatever it pleased without pesky checks and balances getting the way.

I suppose I should look up his exact words, but I don't think it was even that coherent a thought. Chinese politicians are certainly much more serious than ours, but that must go with the territory of operating with little accountability as we understand it. The CCP also represents a kleptocratic oligarchy whose main interest is the perpetuation of its own power. Until now, they've managed to keep things stable by (1) suppressing "liberalizing" tendencies as last demonstrated in June 1989 and (2) maintaining a semblance of constitutional structures with things like term limits. Even though previous leaders tended to maintain power-behind-the-throne via control of the party apparatus, there has always been a succession plan in the post-Mao era. I don't think Xi Jiping's move to extend his own (official) rule bodes well for the country or the party either.

I don't think Xi Jiping's move to extend his own (official) rule bodes well for the country or the party either.

Interesting. We're going off topic here, but I'm interested to know why you think Xi Dada's move to entrench himself will play out poorly for the party. It seems funny speaking of the last time there was a dictator in charge in the context of an autocratic country, but do you see shadows of Mao on the horizon?

Wait, so are you saying that Trudeau's a fan of the autocracies because he feels almost like one of them whilst Trump is more envious of them because he doesn't hold as much power in his own fiefdom? Makes sense to me.

Trump is probably quite frustrated that he can't get his way like he did in the business world.

Gary Cohn just quit his job over Trump's support of trade wars and Tariffs.

Last edited:
Interesting. We're going off topic here, but I'm interested to know why you think Xi Dada's move to entrench himself will play out poorly for the party. It seems funny speaking of the last time there was a dictator in charge in the context of an autocratic country, but do you see shadows of Mao on the horizon?

I don't think there's a (second) Great Leap Forward let alone another Cultural Revolution coming, no, but formalization of "rule for life" has never augured well for a political system. Of course, predecessors like Deng Xiaopeng and Jiang Zemin kept control of the CCP apparatus after "retirement" but that had a very different flavour. Trump's musings about being president-for-life (or that happening at some point in future) I think reflects more his general stupidity than anything else. But then POTUS is a much more well defined and constrained position than anything resembling China (or Russia).

Apparently the move has caught most of the gentry off guard and they don't seem too happy about it. I also think it will backfire for Xi.....eventually. I wouldn't dare place bets on any sort of timeline or scale of reaction.

That district was Trump +20 and in 2016, the Dems didn't even bother to contest it. Now, it won't exist in eight months, as a new map has been drawn to replace the gerrymandered one. This is an ominous sign for the GOP.

Back