News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

Portsmouth Football Stadium - Herzog De Meuron

Jayomatic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looks pretty nice. Really like how its all integrated with apartments.

0,,10396~3187193,00.jpg

0,,10396~3187184,00.jpg

0,,10396~3187173,00.jpg

0,,10396~3187194,00.jpg

0,,10396~3187183,00.jpg

Ooooo, I really like that. Lovely! Lucky them...

Graceful tower, too.

Even though I find the location and the design of the stadium itself very original, you could probably fit a couple of city blocks on that location. The stadium takes up a lot of space. It is good though that that space isn't used solely for soccer matches, but also for appartments. Otherwise, such a huge stadium wouldn't be fit for such a central location. The appartments give it a better integration with the city.

Really awesome design, now if only Toronto FC took a more Euro approach and built itself a more architecturally distinctive soccer stadium.

Alas, Jarrek, stadiums always risk looking like toilet seats. It need not be a bad experience, though (true for both stadiums and toilets).

Maybe a small ... boat made large ... (but) intimate

From certain angles it looks like a toilet seat.

Alas, Jarrek, stadiums always risk looking like toilet seats. It need not be a bad experience, though (true for both stadiums and toilets).

To me it looks like a small three-sided boat made large - appropriate for Portsmouth - with a slightly stylized panel on top that would be the equivalent of a sitting panel on a small boat.

Even though I find the location and the design of the stadium itself very original, you could probably fit a couple of city blocks on that location. The stadium takes up a lot of space. It is good though that that space isn't used solely for soccer matches, but also for appartments. Otherwise, such a huge stadium wouldn't be fit for such a central location. The appartments give it a better integration with the city.

It does take up some space, but far from being designed to be a behemoth, this was to be an intimate stadium, within view of the waterfront. I could not help but notice how delicately it angles into the shore line, and how it contains its harshest lighting inward, toward the stadium. From what I understand, parking for instance, is not a discovered problem, but designed that way. The fans were told that this stadium of less than 40,000 was part of the neighbourhood, and they would either walk to it, or take public transportation.

Back