Toronto Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport | ?m | ?s | Ports Toronto | Arup

Yes, but discussions on Porter Airlines may have nothing to do with the specifics of the pedestrian tunnel project.

And what's with all the silly ?m notations throughout the thread titles here? Is that supposed to refer to the spend? If so, m or more commonly M refers to thousands, MM refers to millions.

Someone is overthinking this forum too far, IMO.

Yeah where do we talk about Vaughan's election night swagger where he (metaphorically) gives the middle finger to Porter and (without saying so) reminds people that he's gonna be a cabinet minister?

Yes, but discussions on Porter Airlines may have nothing to do with the specifics of the pedestrian tunnel project.

And what's with all the silly ?m notations throughout the thread titles here? Is that supposed to refer to the spend? If so, m or more commonly M refers to thousands, MM refers to millions.

Someone is overthinking this forum too far, IMO.

2 most common notations I've seen are k for thousands, M for millions (metric, m is for thousandths) or mn for million, bn for billion. M for thousands, MM for millions seems very confusing. Who uses that?

ETA: the ?m is their notation for non-buildings re: height. Still not needed, but not spend-related.

Yeah where do we talk about Vaughan's election night swagger where he (metaphorically) gives the middle finger to Porter and (without saying so) reminds people that he's gonna be a cabinet minister?

I wonder if he will become one. We'll find out next week.

With the expected lower number of ministers, gender, diversity and regional concerns I'm not so sure. There will be a lot of unhappy Toronto MP's on Nov 5th and he might be one of them.

There are a lot of Liberal MP's that have more experience than him throughout the GTA. Will they include Bill Blair, Mark Holland, John McCallum, Peter Fonseca, James Maloney, John McKay and Adam Vaughn in their cabinet list? (and I'm probably forgetting a few) No. Maybe one or two.

Say there is 30 cabinet ministers. 15 female, 15 male. Of the male ones 5+ may be visible minorities. That leaves 10 white guys (max). Then you look at "star" candidates and the regions which are mainly represented by white males. Scott Brison, Ralph Goodale, Andrew Leslie, Trudeau, Stephane Dion, LeBlanc, and MacAuley are names I would expect in the cabinet. So 3 left...and they have experienced cabinet ministers from Toronto that may take precedence over Adam Vaughan

2 most common notations I've seen are k for thousands, M for millions (metric, m is for thousandths) or mn for million, bn for billion. M for thousands, MM for millions seems very confusing. Who uses that?

ETA: the ?m is their notation for non-buildings re: height. Still not needed, but not spend-related.

In the case of these forums, m is being used for meters, as in length or height of the project.

Metres hopefully, rather than meters.

But seems overkill in the subject line. Isn't that rather an OC detail, like colour, finish. Wouldn't capacity or $ be more useful? Someone seems to have tagged some of the new subway stations with a similar line.

I'd suggest simply removing. Particularly from a thread like this about a tunnel!

We were discussing this at work the other day. MM has been millions in my career and M is thousands (it is from the roman numerals M being thousand and MM being 1000 thousands = M).....since we deal mostly in millions, confusion used to be dealt with by, for example, calling 500,000 by .5MM. We are, however, going through a bit of a generational change in our industry as younger folks come along and they are less likely to have been trained/brought up using roman shortfalls and are using k as thousands and m as millions.

Old habits are hard to break and when they see reports/memos written by folks of my generation they get, either confused or a bit uppity thinking they have caught someone in a mistake.

Haven't flown out of Billy Bishop for a while...not since before the tunnel. Quick trip to Montreal yesterday after work and back tonight.

The tunnel is an amazing improvement....I left Montreal at 5:15 pm....was back in my office (King and Uni) at 6:35 pm

We were discussing this at work the other day. MM has been millions in my career and M is thousands (it is from the roman numerals M being thousand and MM being 1000 thousands = M).....since we deal mostly in millions, confusion used to be dealt with by, for example, calling 500,000 by .5MM. We are, however, going through a bit of a generational change in our industry as younger folks come along and they are less likely to have been trained/brought up using roman shortfalls and are using k as thousands and m as millions.

Old habits are hard to break and when they see reports/memos written by folks of my generation they get, either confused or a bit uppity thinking they have caught someone in a mistake.

TOF, I'm almost 50(!) and I had never heard of the Roman numeral configuration explanation (although occasionally I had seen it used). I've always used metric notation. What industry are you in? I'm in investments, and although I use metric, I see mn/bn, or tables with notation at the top of the columns (i.e. $'000s for thousands or $ millions).

TOF, I'm almost 50(!) and I had never heard of the Roman numeral configuration explanation (although occasionally I had seen it used). I've always used metric notation. What industry are you in? I'm in investments, and although I use metric, I see mn/bn, or tables with notation at the top of the columns (i.e. $'000s for thousands or $ millions).
We finance real estate.

We finance real estate.
I'm in construction product sales/marketing mgmt. I'm 44 years old, and have been in consumer and commercial product sale/marketing for over 20 years now. Throughout my career MM has always been millions, M has always been thousands. K stands for Kilo, which is why I suspect metric people use it for thousand. However in financial reporting I've never seen it used. Mind you, in all my years, we've used imperial feet over metres.

Putting the above aside, I see no reason m? for metres to be in the subject line. Does the question mark indicate a query or a statement of the unknown?

I got the A-OK from management to rename thread titles. (Sorry about the delay.)

Thread renamed to being generally about the the airport and airport-related projects and issues.

Last edited:

Back