News   Apr 25, 2024
 127     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Popularity of tanning (whether indoors or outdoors) in Toronto?

wild goose chase

Member Bio
Reaction score
Because of our winters, there are lots of Canadians, who can afford it, that enjoy taking winter vacations in warm locations specifically for fun in the sun on the beaches, but also others who use tanning beds. Do you perceive tanning as popular in Toronto?

Apparently, it is popular enough that Ontario and other provinces have made restrictions on youth using tanning beds as well as promoting health warnings.

However, I still think we aren't as crazy about tanning as the Aussies, Californians or even the Brits (many of whom seem to have more of a culture of going on holiday specifically for the sun).

I think the popularity of tanning as a whole has diminished somewhat over the years as people are more aware of the skin health implications due to sunlight overexposure.

I don't really see an abundance of tanning salons opening up in the city and I suspect it is due to the aforementioned reason.

Isn't tanning considered trashy now?

Yes. ^

Trump might be the first president to install a tanning bed in the White House.

6a00e554e5d8fe883301a3fd2e4ba6970b-pi

I love tanning outdoors.....mostly because I love the outdoors...and the sun...and not doing stuff...and beaches. Also, you don't turn orange.

Trump isn't using a tanning bed, that is spray on which is why he is orange. I have never considered England to be crazy about tanning but that's me. I wonder why it is that tanning is more desired by some over their natural skin color. I know some people who used the tanning bed as a way to help combat winter sadness when the sun would hide for weeks at a time.

However, I still think we aren't as crazy about tanning as the Aussies, Californians or even the Brits (many of whom seem to have more of a culture of going on holiday specifically for the sun).

And of course, the ozzies have some of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world...

AoD

I don't think tanned skin is attractive at all, however I do agree it doesn't seem very popular in Canada, at least not in Toronto. Maybe because we are very multicultural and tanning is a pure white thing.

I have never considered England to be crazy about tanning but that's me.

Okay, maybe not tanning in and of itself per se, but more so a beach culture and seeking out sunny outdoor weather more broadly. I do perceive a desire to holiday in sunny climates to be somewhat a part of British culture (eg. going to Spain, Australia etc.) and there is kind of a narrative of how England is so gloomy/cloudy that its desirable to go travel elsewhere for warmth. Then again, you could probably say it somewhat about Canadian snowbirds and Florida beaches etc.

I don't think tanned skin is attractive at all, however I do agree it doesn't seem very popular in Canada, at least not in Toronto. Maybe because we are very multicultural and tanning is a pure white thing.

Actually, plenty of Californian Asian-Americans seem to like tanning.

Maybe it's just me but I've noticed Asian Canadians seem to not prefer tanning as much as Asian Americans, especially those in California, for whatever reason (maybe since Asian Canadians are more recent immigrants and closer or more connected to the cultural norms of their place of ancestry).

Using an umbrella for shade specifically to avoid tanning seems more common for Asian Canadians (well at least in Toronto) than Asian Americans in many cities I've seen, despite Toronto not being a particularly sunny place.

Back