News   Apr 24, 2024
 939     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 615     0 

Political Landscape of Toronto (including Ward Boundary Review)

I found this map of whose paying property taxes in Toronto quite interesting

A ward-by-ward breakdown of property taxes in Toronto

Toronto / East York contributes more than 40 per cent of the property taxes in the city. Scarborough contributes approximately 15 per cent, Etobicoke contributes about 20 per cent and North York contributes about 25 per cent.

Question:

Theoretically, how would breaking down the Wards of Toronto to be relatively equal in terms of property taxes paid to the city look like? How would it change the distribution of wards in this city? Would such an outcome and distribution be desirable, why and why not?

Here is a full size Google maps

I'd like to know how to access figures for property taxes paid to the city by census tract. It would be an interesting exercize to distribute Wards based on this figure.
Except property values don't determine councillor workload (e.g., is a $10M property in the bridle path the same amount of work to represent as 20 community housing units in Parkdale?).

If you want to be more equitable than just population, perhaps you'd be better off with aggregate households + zoned businesses, perhaps with businesses weighted 2-3x more than a household.

And of course:

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...uncillors-at-the-ontario-municipal-board.html

How come it is always the most procedurally questionable councillors who raise a stink about process?

AoD

What unrepentant pieces of shit those two are. Per Jennifer Pagliaro on Twitter, "If all appeals aren't resolved by Jan. 1, the city can't have the new ward boundaries - which council approved - in place for 2018 election."

She went on:

upload_2017-7-11_9-28-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-11_9-28-50.png
    upload_2017-7-11_9-28-50.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 426
OMB adjudicators at the hearing Hugh Wilkins and Karlene Hussey said the only window for a lengthy hearing available before that deadline was beginning Oct. 10.

But Di Ciano’s lawyer, lawyers representing other residents and Mammoliti, who was representing himself, argued that date did not give appellants enough time to gather the evidence to make arguments.

They're 100% trying to stall this. Between this and the whole Dunpar issue- Di Ciano is one of the Councillors who need to be specifically targeted next election.

Who's paying for the lawyers anyways?

I'm curious to know where they found the numbers for the population projections. Some of them seem way off.

Take Ward 6 for example, it says it will only add about 5,000 new residents by 2030. Pretty sure what is currently U/C will already add significantly more than 5000 in the next year or two to that ward, not to mention what will be developed in the next couple years. I don't see any other portion of the riding losing any substantial # of people.

I'm curious to know where they found the numbers for the population projections. Some of them seem way off.

Take Ward 6 for example, it says it will only add about 5,000 new residents by 2030. Pretty sure what is currently U/C will already add significantly more than 5000 in the next year or two to that ward, not to mention what will be developed in the next couple years. I don't see any other portion of the riding losing any substantial # of people.
Precisely why there's been zero commensurate investments in the parts of Ward 6 that are growing - HBS and other high density nodes are great cash cows for the city to extricate marginal taxation wins. Just think about that stretch from Legion Rd to the Humber River... There's about 15,000 units along Lake Shore, contributing an average tax of about $2,000 annually. Services required in the area? Minimal, especially with garbage pickup being condo organized, POPs in lieu of proper parks, no schools, libraries, community spaces.. You name it. This just allows them to provide an air of official when cutting transit, not investing in anything, you name it. We're apparently 'not growing'.

The city is a con artist. You're either in a neighbourhood that 'wins' - ie: doesn't change or you're on the losing end of things.

It's true. Neighbourhoods that barely change benefit from local schools, libraries, additional investments - doesn't hurt they're also the most organized civically. Example: Mimico, Forest Hill, the Annex, anything sfh anywhere really...

The city is run like a mafia and likely is. What was it? $120k to install a couple of step in Etobicoke? Outcry and suddenly the price drops to $10k? Somebody's padding their pockets at our expense.

My councillor wasn't involved in the mafia steps debacle but thanks for the note.

The whole mafia steps debacle is more an indication of the absolute state of the city departments (as can be also shown by the whole TTC insurance scam)- which need a thorough cleaning out.

An involved citizenry which makes apparent what they want + involved councillor (like Cressy, Matlow or even Wong Tam) can get a whole lot done in directing city resources and talking to the right departments.

Back