PM Justin Trudeau's Canada | Page 84

Discussion in 'Politics & Diplomacy' started by King of Kensington, Nov 3, 2015.

1. kEiThZ

kEiThZ Senior Member

Forget "raising eyebrows". The real effect will be this. We risk losing the best and brightest to other countries.

I don't get why governments and regular Canadians don't get this. If I am a brilliant scientist, I don't give a shit about your diversity quota. I'll go where the grant money is. And I'll go where stability is good. If you offer me a position and tell me it's at risk in 5-7 years because of some quota, I'll consider other options. You'll just move lower down the list.

The thing is. Having a periodic review is actually not a bad idea. Saying that your review is going to be decided based on some diversity quota is not a great idea.

The most frustrating thing here is that the average Canadian just does not understand how important these bright minds are to our economy. In information age, knowledge is power. Having the best and brightest take up residence in Canada attracts more like minds, which in turns improves our economic competitiveness. As if we didn't already bleed our smartest and most accomplished to Europe and the US, the government wants to give them another reason to leave now....

2. TheKingEast

TheKingEast Senior Member

The problem is people like to hire people that look like them which if you look at upper and mid level management, it's straight, white males for the most part. Diversity is a good thing. "Quotas" are not chasing away talent. It's a whole combination of things. Canada doesn't have much to offer the talented and brightest coming from other 1st world countries. Weather is bad, pay is bad, housing is through the roof and opportunity sucks for the most part.

3. WislaHD

WislaHD Senior Member

Visibile minorities are the majority in Toronto.

I fail to see how hiring in upper and mid level management will fail to reflect that within a generation. In Toronto at least, many office environments already do reflect it, and looking through universities, the STEM fields have become overwhelmingly non-white.

kEiThZ likes this.
  4. BurlOak

BurlOak Senior Member

Someone in government told me about a time they had someone come to talk about the need for increased diversity. The office had 5 out of 30 who were born in Canada + 4 who were born in Europe.

kEiThZ likes this.
  5. TheKingEast

TheKingEast Senior Member

"A study by the Canadian Board Diversity Council shows visible minorities comprise 3.4 per cent of directors on the boards of Canada's 500 largest companies, marking a steady decline from 5.3 per cent in 2010 and 4.6 per cent in 2012."

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/re...15588021/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

Majority of Torontonians are visible minoriteis. But the predominant race is still white. The predominant race in upper management is...white, male, straight.

We need to see diversity in upper management as well. And by diversity I'm not JUST talking about race. If too much diversity is an issue for some people then I'd gladly give them a pat on the back as they leave the country. No use for those people. "quotas" are not the issue here.

6. Videodrome

Videodrome Senior Member

7. BurlOak

BurlOak Senior Member

8. Videodrome

Videodrome Senior Member

That is not a personal attack on anyone, nor is it grade school ranting. You seem to misunderstand what I was getting at due to a hyperpartisan mind set. Even Harper used social media properly for the most part to further his agenda, even if you didn't agree with it. That is how all elected leaders should approach the medium.

As for how Scheer and the CPC use social media, it isn't well done. Scheer himself had gone on Trump-like rants about Trudeau and got significant backlash. In general, the people who run the social media of the party aren't getting the message across effectively. I say this as someone who isn't loyal to any one party or leader.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 12:47 AM
    AlvinofDiaspar likes this.
  9. BurlOak

BurlOak Senior Member

It's an obvious attack on the US President.

10. Videodrome

Videodrome Senior Member

Once again, you misunderstood what I posted. I was saying that Trudeau doesn't use his platform to attack people or rant about nonsense. Now, you are a Trumper, so I can see why you are protective.

11. BurlOak

BurlOak Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017 at 12:57 PM
  12. Videodrome

Videodrome Senior Member

Just not ready. Nice hair, though.

13. BurlOak

BurlOak Senior Member

We weren't ready: Trudeau
    Looks like Trudeau realizes its still true, 2 years later. The public has realized it from day 1 of the Trudeau regime.

14. BurlOak

BurlOak Senior Member

Liberals drop pledge to waive GST for new rental-housing construction
    FUREY: Don't trust the Liberals to run their own promise tracker

So if you follow this, the Liberal government is using taxpayers money to set up a website to track how they are doing. And the Liberals rate themselves as having broken 3 promises (although they don't use the work "break", they use "not being pursued"), even those other sources say they have broken 36.
    I am not sure if this is arrogance, stupidity, or what - but I can't imagine anyone actually falling for this.

15. Videodrome

Videodrome Senior Member

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 3:05 PM
    ttk77 likes this.