News   Apr 23, 2024
 327     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 915     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 498     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I haven't heard of a single person complain about the legitatamicy of the Trudeau win. I think there were a number who questioned the Harper win though.
The only complaint is that Trudeau had a vague and minor promise to change the electoral system, and now he thinks he has a moral mandate to change it to anything he wants.

I haven't heard of a single person complain about the legitatamicy of the Trudeau win. I think there were a number who questioned the Harper win though.
The only complaint is that Trudeau had a vague and minor promise to change the electoral system, and now he thinks he has a moral mandate to change it to anything he wants.

As many people whine about the legitimacy of the Trudeau win as did about the Harper win. One of the lowest forms of political commentary, on both sides.

The Liberals promised that that 2015 would be the last federal election conducted under the first-past-the-post voting system. I don't see what's vague or minor about that. It was crystal clear - vote for us and Canada won't have FPTP in the next election.

They were also crystal clear in the campaign about establishing an all-party parliamentary committee which would be given 18 months to examine replacements for the first-past-the-post voting system.

Criticize the mandate, the process or the objective all you want, but declaring that Trudeau thinks he can change it to anything he wants is simply making stuff up.

Yes vague, because he did not have a replacement system in his platform.

A key promise is like his promise of a $10B deficit this year, with a balanced budget in 4 years time.

In 1987, Mulroney ran on a firm free trade deal with USA. He didn't have a mandate to sign one with North Korea. That was also a key promise. Also, Jean Chretien did have a mandate to scrap NAFTA as he promised in 1993, but that wasn't quite as prominent of a promise.

I predict that if Trudeau brings in a new system, then nobody who cares about honesty and integrity would vote for him - meaning he will get similar support to 2015.

If an election was held today, the NDP would probably lose official party status thanks to the shift of support to the Liberals.

The NDP is just a more honest and forthright version of the Liberals. Those qualities aren't too highly valued by the left.

I am reminded of Dean Del Mastro and how the CPC voted to let him keep his pension despite being convicted of election fraud.

Australia's political situation is a total mess. They change PM's like a baby changes diapers, either by election or by their "spills" that have become a regular thing.

One thing I find interesting is that the same people who were happy with Harper winning a majority with 39% of the vote are mad that Trudeau did the same thing.

Is it an inherit flaw of their voting system, or how the leaders are selected the the political dynamic intraparty? A good number of their PM changes have to do with machinations of the latter.

As to the latter - I don't think anyone would be right to question the legitimacy of Harper's majority - it was as fair and square as it can get. Fairness of FTP is different question entirely - Trudeau or not.

AoD

The NDP is just a more honest and forthright version of the Liberals. Those qualities aren't too highly valued by the left.

Sigh. This is what passes for political discussion in some quarters. It used to be that it was those on the left that primarily engaged in vapid name calling and empty insults, but the right-wingers seem to be championing this approach these past few years.

Yes vague, because he did not have a replacement system in his platform.

A key promise is like his promise of a $10B deficit this year, with a balanced budget in 4 years time.

In 1987, Mulroney ran on a firm free trade deal with USA. He didn't have a mandate to sign one with North Korea. That was also a key promise. Also, Jean Chretien did have a mandate to scrap NAFTA as he promised in 1993, but that wasn't quite as prominent of a promise.

I predict that if Trudeau brings in a new system, then nobody who cares about honesty and integrity would vote for him - meaning he will get similar support to 2015.

Putting aside your unusual use of the word "vague", not to mention the fact that your usage of the word would apply to major promises made by all major parties in the last election, you're sucking and blowing. You criticize the promise because he didn't pick a replacement, but you're also all worked up because you think he will pick the replacement.

Personally, I feel Canadians are best served when we have strong leadership and strong ideas from all three major parties, regardless of ideology. I don't think we benefit when elections are effectively lost, rather than won, because of the ineptitude of the two other parties (i.e. last Ontario provincial election). If the take-away from the 2015 election among partisans of the right is that 40% of Canadians lack honesty and integrity, then I don't see much hope for the Conservatives in 2019, and that doesn't do any of us any good. Ignatieff Liberals redux ("Surely Canadians will be as incensed by the duplicitous government as we are! Oh wait, they're not. Oh oh.") See Rule #4 of Paul Wells' rules of Canadian politics.

Last edited:
If the liberal/NDP/Bloc coalition would have brought down Harper after the Proroguation, I would have looked like Harper tried to delay the confidence vote. Instead it looked like he bought time until cooler heads prevailed.

It was interesting to contrast that proroguation, which as I recall require parliament to resume in 2 months, WI the one pulled by McGuinty where the LG gave him an indefinite indefinite of time.

By the end of the summer, three Alberta ridings will be vacant. Kenney is going for PC leadership, Harper is quitting politics and one is vacant because the MP literally died in his office. The two Calgary ridings could be in play to some degree, since demographics are changing in urban areas.

Back