News   Apr 24, 2024
 946     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 617     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Looks like the Trudeau gov't is increasing our payroll deductions http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/finance-minister-cpp-1.3643155

My problem with CPP is that through my career I will have put in thousands of my dollars into the system. However when I die I cannot pass my retirement contributions to my spouse of kids. Instead they can absorbed into the gov't ether. I'd prefer a system where I can opt out if I feel I can manage my own retirement, thus ensuring the money is invested and later used as I see fit.

You forget that your employer would also be putting an equivalent amount into the CPP.

They need to increase the death benefits, because it has not been increased or adjusted for inflation in decades. Maybe the leftover retirement contributions (employee part) should be paid to the estate, if it hasn't been used up.

That's why I think Canadians will vote for the status quo in the referendum. Why change away from the system that made Canada the best country in the world.

Why change away from the system that made Canada the best country in the world.

Because we can always go back if it doesn't work out. We shouldn't be afraid to experiment with ways to improve our democracy just because what we've got has kind-of worked so far. There are plenty of examples of democratic deficit which we should be constantly trying to address.

That's why I think Canadians will vote for the status quo in the referendum. Why change away from the system that made Canada the best country in the world.

Australians and the Scandinavians might have some issue with your claim, and they certainly didn't have "our system".

AoD

Australians have no such claim so long as they are too incompetent to build internet infrastructure.

Canada is a developed enough of a democracy to handle a proportional system I feel. We shouldn't use straight PR however, Mixed-Member Proportional or Single-Transferable Vote are probably better options for us.

Because it's 2016!

Screen shot 2016-07-04 at 1.52.09 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-07-04 at 1.52.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-07-04 at 1.52.09 PM.png
    520.5 KB · Views: 426
Australians and the Scandinavians might have some issue with your claim, and they certainly didn't have "our system".

AoD

Australia's political situation is a total mess. They change PM's like a baby changes diapers, either by election or by their "spills" that have become a regular thing.

One thing I find interesting is that the same people who were happy with Harper winning a majority with 39% of the vote are mad that Trudeau did the same thing.

Last edited:

Back