Planned Sprawl in the GTA | Page 27

Discussion in 'Design and Architectural Style' started by innsertnamehere, Aug 12, 2014.

1. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Superstar

from that story:

from this story http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-t...il-line-between-toronto-and-windsor-1.3420205

2. jje1000

jje1000 Senior Member

Yup, a bit of irony if this causes further leapfrogging of the Greenbelt- however, if development in those towns are concentrated within their city limits (as the Growth Plan seems to indicate), it could also act as another relief valve for real estate development.

3. Memph

Memph Active Member

High Speed Rail as a tool for "ride till you qualify" seems pretty ridiculous to me. The stop spacing would have to be significantly greater than for GO to avoid wasting the speed gains on boarding/unboarding and accelerating/decelerating but if it's supposed to encourage suburban style development that means driving to the stations. So significantly larger parking lots than the already massive 2000-3000 car GO parking lots? I suppose it could be the older neighbourhoods closer to the train station that will become more DTTO commuter oriented and displacing the locals to the new sprawl. But still I don't see this as being a cheap commute unless fares are massively subsidized and it still will be quite long.

What have studies said about usage of HSR in Europe and Asia? Like what's the breakdown between daily commuting, 1-2 day a week commuting, business trips, family visits, tourists?

4. TheTigerMaster

TheTigerMaster Superstar

kEiThZ likes this.
  5. jje1000

jje1000 Senior Member

Interesting finding- perhaps it's time for a campaign to remove the stigma of multi-generational housing, townhouses, renting etc., alongside efforts to rework the way suburbs work- loosening renting and development restrictions in suburban zones (i.e. allowing the subdivision of existing residential structures into apartments more easily, making it easier to develop missing middle infill in existing residential areas).

Obsession with home ownership driving Toronto affordability crisis, report finds
    The Toronto area will need up to $150 billion in new home construction in the coming decade and most of that should be rental units, says a report from the Canadian Centre for Economic Analysis.

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...oronto-affordability-crisis-report-finds.html

kEiThZ likes this.
  6. W. K. Lis

W. K. Lis Superstar

The high cost of free parking

See link.

junctionist likes this.
  7. Johnny Au

Johnny Au Senior Member

Near where the boundaries of North York, York, and
    There's a good reason why in the official rules of Monopoly, Free Parking does nothing.

8. W. K. Lis

W. K. Lis Superstar

It’s Official: Mexico City Eliminates Mandatory Parking Minimums

See this link.

[​IMG]

Can't see the suburban Councillors in Toronto going along with this.

9. kEiThZ

kEiThZ Senior Member

We'll have to see how much of this survives the election....the tories are very developer friendly. But I also wonder if they are running up against limits with more people getting fed up in rural areas with sprawl and more suburbanites hating the long commutes.

lead82 likes this.
  10. lead82

lead82 Senior Member

I hope you are right. Toronto and GTA will soon be more sprawling than LA at the pace we are going. The new rules should be kept akd hopefully they are popular enough that Tories will keep them and not cancel them.

11. Johnny Au

Johnny Au Senior Member

Near where the boundaries of North York, York, and
    Even Los Angeles did not flatten and pave over the various mountain ranges cross-crossing the county. Half of the neighbouring Ventura County is protected forest.

12. Jasmine18

Jasmine18 Active Member

Issue is dumb development.

They build monster huge homes in brampton and they could easily built a townhouse development or 5-6 story apartment in the corners of intersections.

Really wasted a lot of land .

13. W. K. Lis

W. K. Lis Superstar

And they get into their car for everything.

Got to get milk? Get into the car.

Got to get cash from the bank? Get into the car.

Got to see the doctor about my health? Get into the car.

Got to see the neighbour in the next block? Get into the car.

14. Jasmine18

Jasmine18 Active Member

I have sat out side my house and wondered, why couldn't a small store open at the end of my street?

15. narduch

narduch Active Member

Even if someone wanted to open a store, your neighbours would probably fight to make sure it never happened.

W. K. Lis likes this.