Planned Sprawl in the GTA | Page 27

Discussion in 'Design and Architectural Style' started by innsertnamehere, Aug 12, 2014.

1. TOareaFan

TOareaFan Superstar

from that story:

from this story http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-t...il-line-between-toronto-and-windsor-1.3420205

2. jje1000

jje1000 Senior Member

Yup, a bit of irony if this causes further leapfrogging of the Greenbelt- however, if development in those towns are concentrated within their city limits (as the Growth Plan seems to indicate), it could also act as another relief valve for real estate development.

3. Memph

Memph Active Member

High Speed Rail as a tool for "ride till you qualify" seems pretty ridiculous to me. The stop spacing would have to be significantly greater than for GO to avoid wasting the speed gains on boarding/unboarding and accelerating/decelerating but if it's supposed to encourage suburban style development that means driving to the stations. So significantly larger parking lots than the already massive 2000-3000 car GO parking lots? I suppose it could be the older neighbourhoods closer to the train station that will become more DTTO commuter oriented and displacing the locals to the new sprawl. But still I don't see this as being a cheap commute unless fares are massively subsidized and it still will be quite long.

What have studies said about usage of HSR in Europe and Asia? Like what's the breakdown between daily commuting, 1-2 day a week commuting, business trips, family visits, tourists?

4. TheTigerMaster

TheTigerMaster Superstar

5. jje1000

jje1000 Senior Member

Interesting finding- perhaps it's time for a campaign to remove the stigma of multi-generational housing, townhouses, renting etc., alongside efforts to rework the way suburbs work- loosening renting and development restrictions in suburban zones (i.e. allowing the subdivision of existing residential structures into apartments more easily, making it easier to develop missing middle infill in existing residential areas).

Obsession with home ownership driving Toronto affordability crisis, report finds
    The Toronto area will need up to $150 billion in new home construction in the coming decade and most of that should be rental units, says a report from the Canadian Centre for Economic Analysis.

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...oronto-affordability-crisis-report-finds.html