Toronto Pinewood Toronto Studios | 10m | 1s | Pinewood Group | HOK

At the last ACTRA meeting they said it was going..... but slow. Need it yesterday!

I drove by the site this morning, not much activity though. However, I noticed framing for a big new sign on the SE corner of Commissioners and Don Roadway.

From Actra website

There are some renderings there also.

FILMPORT UPDATE November 7, 2006

Many people have been asking about progress at FILMPORT. Here’s an update:

Work started on August 30th. Site preparation is nearly complete.

TEDCO is presently excavating and cleaning up contaminated areas of the site. This work will continue through November.

Pile driving for the deep foundations will commence on November 20th once TEDCO clean-up crews are out of the way.

Foundation work will continue through the Winter months. The erection of steel structures will begin in early Spring, with concrete wall and roof sections following in late Spring.

Some sound stages should be ready for occupancy by December, 2007. All of Phase 1 will be ready for occupancy by Spring 2008.

Watch for our website to be launched shortly at www.FILMPORT.ca. A place-holder site is up now but the new site will have current information and updates, including a web-cam to track progress.

A few of those renderings look depressingly similar to the new Ryerson Business Building.

Wasn't Alsop going to design part of this project?

I think Alsop is responsible for only one building, with the rest by Quadrangle Architects.

AoD

SD:

Nope, Ryerson Business is by Zeidler and Queens Quay architect (ditto the Eaton Centre media tower/expansion).

AoD

Quadrangle has done, among others, The Morgan and the BMW dealership at the foot of the DVP.

I realize it is just a rendering, but I have to disagree that it looks like Ryerson's Business building. I think, if I read the rendering right, it could end up looking more like this: (replace the sliding horizontal wood panels with static metallic ones)

5796_LTW_0104.jpg

(courtesy of Baumschlager&erberle architekten, austria).

i would hope.....

p5

I realize it is just a rendering, but I have to disagree that it looks like Ryerson's Business building.

Looking at it on a larger screen, I see what you mean. I think you're right.

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it. I hope they do get working on this project soon. I'm pretty excited to see it go up. The exterior could use some work, imo, but I can't wait to have a brand new and modern film studio complex downtown.

could someone please post a google maps link to where FILMPORT will be located? Thanks.

Thanks for the link Alvin,

One thing that is interesting is the Hearn area and the year 2035 designation for development. I wonder if the yet to be finished power plant has an expiration date?

Back