2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 521     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Perceptions of Accesible Retail Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
give me a break guy. Don't come at me with you need to "stop posting". Who do you think you are?

And chill out, I read your post and replied. I'm also working right now I have to read these and reply fast. Is that okay with you?
Honestly I think you do need to stop posting at this point, and I'm surprised mods haven't stepped in yet considering how off tangent this has become. Everyone has a right to express an opinion, but you're just repeating the same thing ad nauseum when it's been thoroughly refuted.

I think the second set of maps are more accurate. The first set doesn't seem to have T&T on College or even the Metro on Bloor just east of Spadina (granted, that may be redeveloped soon, but not for a few a years).

I did note that I omitted the T and T and that the map was not comprehensive on the first post. It was simply to show a large chunk of downtown already met the standard of being w/in 1km.

As for SE downtown (Corktown, etc), wouldn't the Freshco at Parliament & Dundas and the No Frills on Front just east of Parliament be within 1 km walking distance?

FYI I live downtown and am lucky enough to have 6-7 grocery stories within 1 km. But even if that wasn't the case, I would never take a cab/Uber to do groceries, as I could always bike or take the TTC. I live by myself though, so I don't need tons of groceries. Anyway, this is a moot point now - at least 80% of downtown residences are within 1 km of grocery stores, with more to come, as you pointed out.

The NF on Front is in the second map set.

Here is the Freshco:

1688755137672.png

Perhaps I can close the loop on this tangent, by offering clarity with respect to my concern (not 'fear') regarding Metro's capacity going forward provided the expected condo builds: I would merely suggest that having attended the metro in question for years and at varying points in the day, holidays, etc., this location will be rather strained provided we see 2500+ units come online within several hundred meters. My point, which had been picked up by others, and not to belabour it here, was in fact oriented towards the relative scarcity of grocers in the area. The lowblaws at the waterfront is an amazing location, however, if you ever tried to drive there during any of the traffic congestion periods (virtually 3 each day), thats a very wasteful trip considering the distance; and walking may be relatively simple, but is much less so with a large shopping burden, and say, winter conditions, for example.

RE this entire thread, I am a bit disappointed that no-one decided to uplift my gripe regarding the erasure of the pleasing nature of our built-form mountain that is the financial district on down to St. James Park.

To place this thread back (somewhat) to the subject, the only positive for this proposal I will say, is that it seems sufficiently set-back (arguably offset by its absolutely ridiculous proposed build height).

Apologies for contributing to a derailment.

Perhaps I can close the loop on this tangent, by offering clarity with respect to my concern (not 'fear') regarding Metro's capacity going forward provided the expected condo builds: I would merely suggest that having attended the metro in question for years and at varying points in the day, holidays, etc., this location will be rather strained provided we see 2500+ units come online within several hundred meters. My point, which had been picked up by others, and not to belabour it here, was in fact oriented towards the relative scarcity of grocers in the area. The lowblaws at the waterfront is an amazing location, however, if you ever tried to drive there during any of the traffic congestion periods (virtually 3 each day), thats a very wasteful trip considering the distance; and walking may be relatively simple, but is much less so with a large shopping burden, and say, winter conditions, for example.

RE this entire thread, I am a bit disappointed that no-one decided to uplift my gripe regarding the erasure of the pleasing nature of our built-form mountain that is the financial district on down to St. James Park.

To place this thread back (somewhat) to the subject, the only positive for this proposal I will say, is that it seems sufficiently set-back (arguably offset by its absolutely ridiculous proposed build height).

Apologies for contributing to a derailment.

No apologies required. It was a perfectly reasonable observation which could merit discussion.

Honestly I think you do need to stop posting at this point, and I'm surprised mods haven't stepped in yet considering how off tangent this has become. Everyone has a right to express an opinion, but you're just repeating the same thing ad nauseum when it's been thoroughly refuted.
As are you guys *shrug*

It's just extremely tiresome to have you insisting on dragging this conversation on when it's clear that you're wrong about every house in DT not being within walking distance of a grocery store. You initially said that's not possible. It clearly is. You suggested that people downtown should expect to take an uber/taxi to get groceries; that's clearly not happening. The suburbs are different because stuff is spread out. There aren't even sidewalks in many suburbs. The same arguments most certainly do not apply where it is large single family homes on large lots compared to dense townhouses/condo towers.
Again, the same good be said to you so stale mate I guess…

Wow. Some people do not know when to quit. Hint, it's sooner than many of you think.

There's a thread for this topic, meanwhile, and it's called "Downtown Grocery Store List (current + proposed)." It's here. This exhausted discussion is being locked, and you can take further downtown grocery store talk to the original thread at that link.

@ML555, if you want to talk about the skyline "clothesline" effect that's disappeared, the 23 Toronto Street thread is not the place for it either. Please try our Design & Architecture Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back