Pedestrian walking speeds around the world

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yahoo News

Link to article

World's cities step up pace of life in fast lane

By Kate Kelland Wed May 2, 9:32 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - A study of cities across the world shows pedestrians are upping their pace at an alarming rate as they scurry from place to place, determined to cram as much as possible into each day.

Scientists say it is symptomatic of a modern life driven by e-mail, text messages and a need to be available 24 hours a day.

The most dramatic increases were found in Asia among the fast-growing "tiger" economies.

Pedestrians in Singapore were crowned the world's fastest movers, walking 30 percent faster than they did in the early 1990s, and in China, the pace of life in Guangzhou has increased by more than 20 percent.

Copenhagen and Madrid were the fastest European cities, beating Paris and London. And despite its reputation as "the city that never sleeps," New York ranked only eighth in the pace race, behind Dublin and Berlin.

Richard Wiseman, a professor of psychology at the University of Hertfordshire who helped conduct the research, used a 1994 study of pedestrians' speed as a comparison and found that on average city dwellers now move 10 percent faster.

"The pace of life in our major cities is now much quicker than before," he said. "This increase in speed will affect more people than ever, because for the first time in history the majority of the world's population are now living in urban centers."

Wiseman is worried by the rising need for speed.

"We just have this feeling that we should be producing and active all of the time," he said. "That is fuelled by the email, text, mobile phone culture."

"But there has to be an upper limit, because if this trend continues, we will arriving places before we have set off."

The study was carried out with the help of the British Council, which promotes British cultural links with countries around the world.

Researchers in each city found a busy street with a wide, flat pavement, free from obstacles and sufficiently uncrowded to allow people to walk at their maximum speed. They then timed how long it took 35 people to walk 60 feet.

They only monitored adults on their own, and ignored anyone on a mobile phone conversation or struggling with shopping bags.

The times, in seconds, recorded in 32 cities across the world are listed below:

1) Singapore (Singapore): 10.55

2) Copenhagen (Denmark): 10.82

3) Madrid (Spain): 10.89

4) Guangzhou (China): 10.94

5) Dublin (Ireland): 11.03

6) Curitiba (Brazil): 11.13

7) Berlin (Germany): 11.16

8) New York (United States of America): 12.00

9) Utrecht (Netherlands): 12.04

10) Vienna (Austria): 12.06

11) Warsaw (Poland): 12.07

12) London (United Kingdom): 12.17

13) Zagreb (Croatia): 12.20

14) Prague (Czech Republic): 12.35

15) Wellington (New Zealand): 12.62

16) Paris (France): 12.65

17) Stockholm (Sweden): 12.75

18) Ljubljana (Slovenia): 12.76

19) Tokyo (Japan): 12.83

20) Ottawa (Canada): 13.72

21) Harare (Zimbabwe): 13.92

22) Sofia (Bulgaria): 13.96

23) Taipei (Taiwan): 14.00

24) Cairo (Egypt): 14.18

25) Sana'a (Yemen): 14.29

26) Bucharest (Romania): 14.36

27) Dubai (United Arab Emirates): 14.64

28) Damascus (Syria): 14.94

29) Amman (Jordan): 15.95

30) Bern (Switzerland): 17.37

31) Manama (Bahrain): 17.69

32) Blantyre (Malawi): 31.60

Indeed. I bet you'd find people from Singapore are, on average, shorter than people from Toronto - which makes their astonishing velocity even more impressive.

I'm amazed anyone had the idea or the funding to study such a thing.

Indeed. I bet you'd find people from Singapore are, on average, shorter than people from Toronto - which makes their astonishing velocity even more impressive.

I suspect height is irrelevant. My normal pace is much faster than any of my friends', many of whom are taller than me.

This silly study reminds me of a study released earlier this year that had the groundbreaking conclusion that poor people suffer more health problems than wealthier people.

I suspect height is irrelevant. My normal pace is much faster than any of my friends', many of whom are taller than me.

That's anecdotal... I suspect if you were to plot height (or stride length) against average walking speed, there would be at least a slight correlation.

So Asian cities are likely to have higher walking speeds because of people's heights? I doubt it. I think it has more to do with environment - specifically the business environment, population, and congestion. Nurture, not nature.

Where's Las Vegas on that list?
daddy1.jpg

Frankly, this study sounds pretty badly flawed. Their measurement protocol, for instance, opens the door to a great deal of bias as much depends on the particular patch of pavement they decided to measure.

this study discriminates agaist the disabled for not including them. where's the wheelchair speeds, the walkers, rollers, pirates with peg feet, etc..

I think it might be more enlightening to measure a bunch of different people in the same location with the same cultural background, weather conditions, etc. Maybe a university campus? I'm pretty confident there will be a correlation between height/stride length and average walking speed.

Back