Mississauga Pearson Transit Hub | ?m | ?s | GTAA

Image:

toronto-pearson-transit-hub-design.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pearson-airport-development-1.3968790

And also a first look at Pearson's potential future expansion- interesting to see that the current Arrivals/ Departures areas are going to be repurposed for more quays.

From the looks of it they are basically removing all on curbside access to T1/T3 and moving it all to the hub/underground (given how the 409 ended in a tunnel portal)

AoD

So, UPE is cut back to this new terminal? Does that open the door to using longer ' conventional' equipment? And how does HFR/HSR connect? Will there be a need to upgrade the Link people mover?

My initial reaction is that this creates the same sort of air terminal configuration that one sees in, say, Altlanta or Tampa, so not a bad thing per se.....but damn, losing curbside access for transit will not be a popular move.

- Paul

And also a first look at Pearson's potential future expansion- interesting to see that the current Arrivals/ Departures areas are going to be repurposed for more quays.

From the looks of it they are basically removing all on curbside access to T1/T3 and moving it all to the hub/underground (given how the 409 ended in a tunnel portal)

AoD

Interesting indeed. "It would also become the passenger processing and security screening area." If Pearson is looking to expand it's gates, that's more passengers. That's more people in that screening area. Does it look big enough to you guys?

So, UPE is cut back to this new terminal? Does that open the door to using longer ' conventional' equipment? And how does HFR/HSR connect? Will there be a need to upgrade the Link people mover?

My initial reaction is that this creates the same sort of air terminal configuration that one sees in, say, Altlanta or Tampa, so not a bad thing per se.....but damn, losing curbside access for transit will not be a popular move.

- Paul

It's definitely hard to see how these elements work. Other then the Crosstown, which seems to stick out, this is such a limited view with no details. GTAA is being a big tease.

- Paul

This is definitely a big question. There are no doubt billions involved with relocating all this infrastructure + addition of new infrastructure needed to serve the new terminal configuration (I would imagine though that this would be a multi-phase project).

It also looks like T1 is envisioned to be fully expanded in the images above.

The renderings don't show much change in how autos access Pearson...in fact, the roads don't seem to access the new facility at all. Giving the auto better access than transit gets is counter productive.

It's naive to think that everyone will arrive at Pearson by transit..... modal share will change, yes, but absolute numbers of autos entering the airport may not go down that much. Where do all the cars fit? And how is transit made more attractive than auto use?

- Paul

Looks all very artists conception-ish. Is this the actual plan or a pie in the sky idea?

For example, although passenger processing has been moved to the new building, what about the 9000+ parking spaces? Will they be moved?

It looks like the Alt hotel is removed in the conception, I doubt the hotel would be willing to give up the space without a significant buyout.

It's all very nice to do a visioning exercise where we think about how the airport might look in thirty years.....but.....

The renderings appear to suggest that a great deal of the infrastructure built within the last ten years - which is nowhere near end-of-life - will be torn down again. I wonder what pricetag that carries.

That would be an enormous boondoggle. And it would colour all the discussions we have about what mode is more economical than what mode, whether building HSR is more economical than adding airport capacity, etc etc.

This plan needs to happen no faster than the wear-out rate of the current infrastructure. That includes surrounding real estate like the Alt Hotel, etc. Makes no sense to expropriate and tear down a virtually new building....the purchase price will reflect the unachieved economic value of the original investment.

- Paul

It looks like the Alt hotel is removed in the conception, I doubt the hotel would be willing to give up the space without a significant buyout.

It'll be 10 years old before being asked to move. This is close to major renovation (or rebranding as a discount chain) time. I think they'd pay far more to buy out the Sheraton (much higher nightly rates and 4x the number of rooms).

Both chains would accept a swap for a Sheraton Charles De Gaulle type situation (hotel space built above the TGV terminal).

It'll be 10 years old before being asked to move. This is close to major renovation (or rebranding as a discount chain) time. I think they'd pay far more to buy out the Sheraton (much higher nightly rates and 4x the number of rooms).

Both chains would accept a swap for a Sheraton Charles De Gaulle type situation (hotel space built above the TGV terminal).
The Alt is already a discount chain...it is the lower service arm of Germain.

Press release from GTAA - unveiling at Brampton BoT today:

https://www.torontopearson.com/pearson_leftNavOneColumnWF.aspx?pageid=78&id=21474839072#

A little weird to have it at Brampton BoT considering the redevelopable lands are mostly in Sauga and TO. Sounds more about the hub than the actual airport as well.

AoD

Seriously lacking in any details outside of the fancy "artist's conception". I'd be much happier if they'd just complete a new master plan and released that.

Back