News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Toronto Pearson International Airport

Last week my partner and I flew to Nashville for 4 days from Buffalo. We saved $500 flying with the discount airline South West. $40 to park, still cheaper than taking a cab from downtown Toronto to Pearson.

Traffic was really good. Got there in just a little under 2 hours. Took about 20 mins to cross the Peace Bridge. And about 30 seconds at the customs booth. The guard didn't even scan the passports. Just asked where are you from, where are you flying? and how and long? Airport security was quick too.

Crossing back into Canada took about 10 mins. The Canadian guard was a lot more thorough. Took about 2 mins at the booth. He scanned our passports. Asked if we traveled with anyone who has been to an Ebola ridden country. If we had or used any firearms during our visit or have any ammo. Ask if we we're bringing food back. Asked how much money we had. Then we we're free to go.

Half the parking lot in Buffalo was Ontario plates. I know if i lived in the Hamilton area, i would be flying out of Buffalo all the time.

and proximity to both CN and CP main lines, is to turn Pickering into the primary freight airport for the GTA

Makes sense to turn it into a freight airport but having rail lines nearby doesn't necessarily make it more advantageous for that use. There's few airports worldwide that interchange freight directly from rail. Interchanging with rail is just not as efficient as using trucks for the transfer of commodities aside from bulk cargo, which is not shipped by air.

Yup! I think a new airport could be built between highway 8 or 6. Connecting metrolinx to it by rail or highway to it.

Not familiar with the area, would the topography support the construction of an airport around there?

After the car thing, they also did strip searches at airport.

Nearly got stripped searched and refused entry because I didn't declare a sandwich once(US customs). But outside of that one time the only trouble I've ever had crossing any boarder is coming back into Canada, seems the folks at CBSA don't like me very much or something
dunno.gif

Last edited:
Nearly got stripped searched and refused entry because I didn't declare a sandwich once. But outside of that one time the only trouble I've ever had crossing any boarder is coming back into Canada, seems the folks at CBSA don't like me very much or something
dunno.gif

I never have any issues coming back to Canada. 99% of the time they don't even ask any questions, just scan the passport and wave me through.

What ever happened to pier G?

Aircraft got bigger and seats got closer together. Simply put, the number of passengers was able to grow by 20% without an increase in the number of aircraft/gates.

It will still happen eventually but probably won't open until after Air Canada has deployed their replacement 787's and can determine whether that was enough or if additional flights are needed.

For those interested.. found the annual meeting really interesting. Pearson is on a bit of a roll lately. 6.8% growth in 2014 and already at 7% growth YTD.

I knew the stewardship of Howard Eng was a godsend to GTAA. Coming from the world's greatest airport (HKG) he brought a wealth of expertise to Pearson, a clear direction and a mission statement I like 'to be the best airport period' - ambition is admirable.

He brought the fine dining options, the shopping, the agreements with global carriers, with Air Canada and West Jet (further strengthening the fortress hub strategies) and now the passenger growth is pouring in, to the point they had to urgently (but elegantly) un-mothball the T3 satellite (with a full renovation and shopping/dining options) and start accelerating the planning of Pier G.

It also doesn't hurt that Air Canada has found its wings over the last few years... There's the potential for a truly global carrier forming.

I always wanted Pearson to be a Heathrow or a CDG - we may get it afterall.

Reactions: PL1
And international passenger growth is even stronger at 7.5% - that's definitely falling inline with the plan for YYZ to serve as one of the most important North American gateways.

He got tripped up a bit by the flight cancellations episode earlier, but guess the results speaks of itself too.

AoD

If there's one thing I love about Pearson, it's the reach of the network.

We may not have 80+ million pax a year, but we certainly have breadth of routes. I am praying for a YYZ-BEG by JU so I can finally never transfer airports again.

Looking back at old stats, the passenger load has increased by 1/3 compared to a decade ago - that's bit of a shock. Time for Pier G.

AoD

I can't say I was particular impressed in T3 the other day. Followed all the signage to food, only to arrive and find nothing but a construction zone. Asked at the information desk, and he said there's nothing down that end, and seemed surprised that I asked why no one had changed the sign - I then asked if he had a ladder and some duct tape ..

He pointed back to the other end, said there was a Wendy's or something. Dragged the entire family back to the other end, and there was indeed ... with about 10 seats, all taken. This lack of seating despite acres of open space in the terminal ...

And this a week before the Pan Am games started. What a frigging embarrassment of an airport.

T3 needs a lot of work - I am glad that they are at least doing something about it. The last time I was there last summer the state of the terminal was throughly disappointing.

AoD

Oh, it needed work. But elminating the food court, without putting any of the tables they just ripped out at one of the few remaining establishments? And not even bothering to cover other the signage leading to the food court. These are all no-brainders. It all suggests that whoever is managing Pearson is grossly incompetent. It's no wonder that they are screwing up the big stuff too, if they can't even do the easy stuff.

Back