News   Apr 23, 2024
 139     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 874     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 290     0 

Parking Space vs. Development at Commuter Stations dilemma - Denver

The key in my opinion when considering intensification around stations is how to do it without significantly impacting parking capacity. Yes, I know that's not a great thing, but for GO it's the truth.

My preferred layout for many suburban stations is to develop 4-5 storey structures across a large segment of the parking lot acreage. There would be a central pedestrian boulevard down the middle, dividing the two structures on either side, and access roads on the two outside edges.

The ground floor would be retail (LCBO, smaller grocery store, etc) fronting onto the pedestrian promenade, with floors 2-4 or 5 being GO parking. At certain locations in the structure there would be point tower apartments/condos, which use the roof of the larger structure as amenity space (green roof with small trees, etc). The residential and parking structure would exit pedestrians out onto the promenade down the middle.

With this setup you maintain or increase parking capacity, create a far better pedestrian environment, and significantly increase density around stations. Also, with the right assortment of retail you may be able to eliminate some of those "detour" trips on the way home to pick up a bottle of wine or something to go with dinner, since most people would be walking right past these retail outlets anyway.

The ideal spot for a pilot for this would be the south lot at Appleby. It's large and relatively square, with frontage onto a major arterial and no residential neighbours (apart from the towns on the other side of Fairview).

Use the land they own that is currently used for parking.

Ever been out to a Go Station? There isn't much of this land. Go Train parking lots are usually built up, not out - the one at Maple, for example (one of the two being expanded) covers about as much land as the Walmart (just the building) beside it.

I believe it's the other way around: GO doesn't coordinate and negotiate with the TTC. With 905 and 705, GO subsidizes the local transit agency. They have refused to do that with the TTC.

Then why did Toronto City Council vote a few months ago to let the TTC start negotiating a co-fare with Go Transit?

The existing parking lots are unfriendly to bikes. They should build dedicated bike paths from road to the bike parking. Design the driveways so that it's easy for bikes to turn in and out.

Go Transit already does this. For example...

Unionville:
CURV7fJ.jpg

Appleby:
L4LpuCh.jpg

Rouge Hill:
NSLhDNa.jpg

Ever been out to a Go Station? There isn't much of this land. Go Train parking lots are usually built up, not out - the one at Maple, for example (one of the two being expanded) covers about as much land as the Walmart (just the building) beside it.
I crudely put this together to show what could fit in the plot of land currently occupied by a parking lot.

2qpHiqL.jpg

You also had some good examples of the bike infrastructure that I suggested. It would be great to see that put into more stations.

Attachments

• 2qpHiqL.jpg
    2qpHiqL.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 405

Back