Park Lawn Area Transportation Study

Discussion in 'Transportation and Infrastructure' started by crs1026, Nov 15, 2016.

1. crs1026

crs1026 Senior Member

Am I the only one to find this notice from the City a bit ironic?

Not an auspicious start... kind of lays out the problem. But I'm very glad to see this study under way.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 1.41.12 PM.

2. drum118

drum118 Superstar

This is a strange item being outside the Waterfront Reset study. Its needed.

It was stated during the Waterfront Reset meeting that Park Lawn Study would not be part of the main study when it has an impact on the study in the first place.

We all agree that something must happen here sooner than later to the point a GO Station needs to built there ASP.

I have stated far too long that a station needs to built there along with a 5-10,000 parking spot structure to take traffic off the Gardiner.

3. crs1026

crs1026 Senior Member

I hope you aren't suggesting adding another 5-10,000 cars per day to Park Lawn ;-)

I get what you are saying - although why would anyone bring a car as far as Park Lawn before parking ? We should be looking for ways to get those cars parked further out beyond the 427.

- Paul

4. drum118

drum118 Superstar

I would build ramps off/to the Gardiner to the structure only. Its the only easy get to/from location.

Catching traffic before 427 will cause more headaches for the local area as well getting to a none existing GO Station. This where the Cloverdale Transit Hub comes into play.

You can always build the structure over the Gardiner.

5. crs1026

crs1026 Senior Member

I attended the Public Meeting this evening.

Most interesting point was the proposed GO station - which was the clear #1 priority raised by those attending.

There was a rep from ML with a drawing. There are two potential sites - one at Park Lawn on the Christie lands, the other further east next to Humber Loop. Biggest thing standing in the way is the need to widen the Gardiner underpass to allow properly-sized platforms. The plan showed four tracks with an outer platform on each side and one platform in the middle for the middle two tracks. It was pointed out that the City owns the Gardiner overpass and so they would have to be brought into the picture to approve the change (this didn't seem like a big obstacle, but I wondered if this was a hint that GO would expect the City to pay for the station along the lines of the ST stations, which Park Lawn arguably is.) If the western location were chosen, the streetcar loop would move to create a new transit hub.

Also discussion of potential to separate the streetcar track on the Lakeshore, with a wider roadway.

Some interesting enhancements are planned to the waterfront bike trail, and a north-south connection along the east bank of the Mimico Creek to the Queensway and beyond.

Lots of commentary about how messed up vehicular traffic flows has become.

- Paul

Keyz likes this.
  6. W. K. Lis

W. K. Lis Superstar

Now if the Gardiner was uploaded to the province, instead of being downloaded, it would be the province paying for the changes to both the railway tracks and the Expressway. (And no need for tolls.)

Link to presentation.