News   May 03, 2024
 626     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 300     0 

Pacific Road Trip: From Malibu to San Jose

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
When I had escaped from LA, I took Highway 1 north through Malibu, and then up into Santa Barbara. As Highway 1 does not follow the coast well from Santa Barbara to San Luis Obispo, I took the faster 101 (a freeway, but not completely so, more like Highway 11 north of Gravenhurst). Then back along 1 through what has to be one of the greatest drives anywhere.

It was raining as I drove down from the San Fernando Valley to Malibu, then it cleared up. Topanga Canyon Road was a real beauty, but it was drizzling, so no pics there!

Malibu

Malibu1.jpg

Mailbu3.jpg

Malibu2.jpg

Santa Barbara, where it started to rain again (I thought it never rained in Southern California!). Almost everything in the downtown is Mission-style. The Mission itself is aways from the core, up in the hills.

SB1.jpg

SB2.jpg

SB4.jpg

SB5.jpg

The Mission itself.

SB3.jpg

PCH1.jpg

PCH2.jpg

PCH4.jpg

PCH3.jpg

PCH5.jpg

Hearst Castle. A momument to the wealth of William Randoloph Hearst, until he ran out of money (there's some unfinished rooms and some walls of bare concrete). Rosebud!

PCH6.jpg

Looking up towards a guest house.

PCH7.jpg

Hearst's digs.

PCH8.jpg

PCH9.jpg

PCH10.jpg

PCH12.jpg

PCH13.jpg

A few miles down the road is a popular hangout for Elephant Seals.

PCH14.jpg

PCH15.jpg

PCH16.jpg

PCH17.jpg

PCH18.jpg

PCH19.jpg

PCH20.jpg

PCH21.jpg

PCH22.jpg

PCH23.jpg

PCH24.jpg

San Jose. Nice town, but the area exploded in growth since the sixties, so Downtown San Jose is really small for its size (920,000 city, over 2M metro). Interesting set up for its light rail - runs down one way streets downtown, in centre of street ROWs and expressway medians otherwise.

SJ1.jpg

At least someone's got a winning hockey team. And I bet the tickets are cheaper too.

SJ2.jpg

SJ3.jpg

SJ4.jpg

SJ5.jpg

SJ6.jpg

VTA1.jpg

The VTA even has interior bike racks. Bikes allowed all times of day.

VTA2.jpg

I also pay homage to Apple and Silicon Valley by doing a circumnavigation of Infinite Loop in Cupertino.

Apple.jpg

I also find the Googleplex to complain about Toronto's really outdated satellite images. But there's no parking anywhere! The Googleplex (about 10 buildings) is the most disorganized, most car dependant office conglommeration I've seen.

Google.jpg

And the last place I stop before hitting SF city limits is Stanford. I check my email at the Apple Store at the adjacent mall, which is old-school outdoors.

Stanford is eexacly how I would imagine California doing University of Waterloo.

Stanford3.jpg

Stanford2.jpg

Stanford1.jpg

It was around here that I was inspired by the local Transit agency (SamTrans) for a new nickname. spmarshall never worked that well.

sean.jpg

Next: San Francisco

that is a beautiful bunch of photos, Santa Barbara, and San Jose look like awsome cities...

Some absolutely stunning images there- particularly the coastal landscapes. San Jose looks like it has some really nice Spanish style architecture. Did you get into wine country at all- a la 'Sideways' ?

Looking forward to your SanFran pics- one of my favourite cities.

I didn't have time to really do wine country, but passed through some of that north of Santa Barbara. Given an extra day, I might have gone to Napa and Sonoma, which is north-northeast of San Francisco. I just made a quick trip over to Marin County to drive the bridge and check out a Bay water model and the FLW Civic Center.

It was interesting to see cows grazing on the hillsides (in the area of the tunnel in that set of pics). Around there was some fruit-growing areas as well.

I also added San Jose because it has some nice architecture, and I also found what they did with the LRT was quite interesting. Throughout the trip I found things that have some sort of bearing on what Toronto could do (for good and for worse).

Beautiful pics, Sean! What an amazing part of America... Darkstar and I may be planning a similar trip later in the year.

The California coast is just one of those incredibly great places, and your pics really took me back Sean! Thanks!

Back