Toronto Pace Condos | 146.3m | 42s | Great Gulf | Diamond Schmitt

pace.jpg

Attachments

• pace.jpg
    pace.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 1,271
This thing is bleak. DSAI projects are letting me down a lot lately.

I don't like the colour or design of this tower either but I do like it from an urban planning, point of view. This tower's real benefit is that it is the (well, one of the) first step in taming the wild, wild east side. For many people, including developers, going east of Yonge/Church Streets was a no-no. It was just too sketchy an area for most people to venture over. Just recently, all that is starting to change. The new retail will help animate the streets too. Clearly, developers have lost their fear of the east side, as many new towers are now going up or are proposed. Now we will have a huge, new area to add restaurants, bars, stores and all the things that make urban life fun.

This building serves a higher purpose than just providing places to live, that's why I'm kind of giving it a pass. I just hope that the trainload of new condos are not going to be minimalist, grey, spandrel boxes. That would just be depressing. Lots of new stores, cafes, restaurants and bars, would be fantastic. (excluding Subways & nail salons)

Last edited:
Although this building is nothing special from an architectural poV, contextually it works well for the area. I actually like the dark colour combination with the band or red running up both sides of the tower. The dark brick on the podium is well defined and blends in well with the tower portion.

If the balconies were recessed into the facade of the tower, this would look so much better. Kind of like on the X condos.

I like it. Like most projects it could be even better. But it has a GREAT profile, and though it is not super colourful and is still blue/ grey, it is a much darker, sophisticated blue/grey than most. It really adds to the skyline from many different points of view. It is an improvement to the area, and as mentioned several times it is a big stepping stone as far as "taming the east side"
It has some great Artscape units, and has something to give back to the non elite.
I just hope that the rest of what comes to this node can live up/ surpass Pace's contribution.

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2983.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

IMG_2985.JPG

IMG_2986.jpg

From my May 29th Development Tour of Toronto

Attachments

• IMG_2982.jpg
    IMG_2982.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,598
  • IMG_2983.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,581
  • IMG_2984.JPG
    IMG_2984.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,596
  • IMG_2985.JPG
    IMG_2985.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,611
  • IMG_2986.jpg
    IMG_2986.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,616
This is looking great so much better than I expected. It is a real addition to the neighborhood.

Agreed. Pleasantly surprised, especially with the red enhancements. Black and red are a sexy combination. Too bad the red isn't a little more obvious (particularly the red vertical stripe). Perhaps Grid is getting it's cue from the red-bottomed balcony idea, except using blue. Certainly makes for a more interesting upward street view.

Back