News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 825     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

O'Neil Road (Don Mills Centre, Cadillac Fairview, ?s, Hariri Pontarini)

ProjectEnd

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
South end of the Don Mills site. I believe this is where the past-rumored Bjarke thing was going to go.

Don Mills 1.JPG

Don Mills 2.JPG

Attachments

• Don Mills 1.JPG
    Don Mills 1.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 4,295
  • Don Mills 2.JPG
    Don Mills 2.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 4,021
Pretty plain for HP. I, too, assumed that's where the BIG project was going to go. Is there not anyone with inside information that knows why that project never materialized? Did Westbank sell the land?

ProjectEnd, where did you find these renderings, btw? Interesting that it (first rendering) shows the planned community centre at the corner of Don Mills & The Donway W. I guess that is just a placeholder image and HP is not going to design it?

Last edited:
Holy smokes! look at all of the developement happening in this section of town. Looks like they want the relief to run through this area.

The parking lots on the west side of Don Mills Rd are slated for condos too, at some point, no?

Holy smokes! look at all of the developement happening in this section of town. Looks like they want the relief to run through this area.

Then they should have planned all that density to be next to the subway station, rather than a 10 minute walk away from it.

Then they should have planned all that density to be next to the subway station, rather than a 10 minute walk away from it.
Plenty of density is planned for the Celestica lands. I bet more will be built on the Science Centre lot and the quadrant that is east of Don Mills, west of the DVP and south of Eglinton.

I hope the plaza across the street from the Don Mills Library (south side of Lawrence) will be redeveloped (as well as the adjacent office buildings/parking lots). There's plenty of roof for mixed use, mid-ride buildings on that plot of land.

The renovation of this property and the increased density was lined up some years ago. The additional density and height for this area was achieved by providing parkland and an impressive community centre that will be built on the NW corner of Don Mills road and the Donway.

I believe the delays associated with the taller buildings that are approved for O-Neil road is related to the Civitan Arena. The Arena is to find a new home prior to being brought down. The city is leasing the Civitan arena from Cadillac Fairview. The agreement runs until October 2020, at which point the city is to replace the two-pad arena with another one in the vicinity. From: http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/4514940-plans-for-new-civitan-arena-on-hold/

The renovation of this property and the increased density was lined up some years ago. The additional density and height for this area was achieved by providing parkland and an impressive community centre that will be built on the NW corner of Don Mills road and the Donway.

I believe the delays associated with the taller buildings that are approved for O-Neil road is related to the Civitan Arena. The Arena is to find a new home prior to being brought down. The city is leasing the Civitan arena from Cadillac Fairview. The agreement runs until October 2020, at which point the city is to replace the two-pad arena with another one in the vicinity. From: http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/4514940-plans-for-new-civitan-arena-on-hold/
How do you know the community centre will be "impressive?" Have you seen plans for it?

How do you know the community centre will be "impressive?" Have you seen plans for it?
Hi Amour, a bit of delayed reply here....

In 2012 I was involved with a proposal that involved the Don Mills Civitan Arena (the non-profit organization that manages the arena), the Toronto Board of Education, Donway Covenant United Church, Cadillac Fairview and the City. The proposal was to move the arena and the proposed Community Center to property owned by the DCUC and the TDSB. A mock up was put together that provided a similar facility to what was is to be built at the shops at Don Mills. It didn't proceed for a number of good reasons. That said, I got a sense of what was to be included in the Community Center at the Shops:
DCUC.jpg

Attachments

• DCUC.jpg
    DCUC.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 519
Yes, I remember that proposal, but never saw that image (thanks for that). Do you have any idea who will be designing the community centre? I thought it would be neat to build it in the same fashion as the old curling rink (though larger, if need be). It would be an easy design to replicate.

Yes, I remember that proposal, but never saw that image (thanks for that). Do you have any idea who will be designing the community centre? I thought it would be neat to build it in the same fashion as the old curling rink (though larger, if need be). It would be an easy design to replicate.

I don't know who is involved with the design of the community center or if it has been finalized. I know CF is committed to the location and a funding package (I don't recall the value) to build the center.

Back