News   May 17, 2024
 4.4K     5 

Official Toronto FC Thread

Canadian soccer fans copy Europeans

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=ro-mlsfans040508&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Have MLS franchise, will travel

By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports
Apr 5, 3:46 EDT

Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber admitted that North American soccer’s evolving fan base has forced a fresh approach in identifying potential expansion locations.

That’s why Garber and his colleagues have been delighted with the response of the supporters of Toronto FC. Last weekend, more than 3,000 fans crossed the border for the club’s 2008 season opener in Columbus, Ohio.

With the next two franchises, Seattle and Philadelphia, also showing signs of tapping into a passionate and dedicated following, Garber hopes the MLS fan landscape will gradually mutate closer to something more akin to European and South American examples.

“The concept of the traveling fan is not something that has happened a great deal in MLS until now,†Garber said. “There are so many things that are different about this league, but if that is the thing that can differentiate it, that would be very positive.â€

Fans of all ages and from all socio-economic groups in Europe travel hundreds of miles each weekend in order to cheer on their team of choice.

That ideal is not something that has caught on in the United States, possibly due to the huge distances involved. The closest example of such commitment can be found in the NFL and college football, with dedicated fans making long journeys to watch their teams.

Toronto FC sold out every available season ticket well in advance of the new campaign, even though the team was the worst in MLS in its first season last year.

“It is absolutely incredible up there,†Garber said. “It says something to us that we didn’t think would happen in the time period we are living in.

“We knew it would happen eventually, but we never expected a situation like Toronto. That is not something we thought would happen in this (league).

“We are seeing something like that going on in Seattle, with 14,000 season tickets and over 4,000 in Philadelphia which is already two years away.â€

Seattle will enter the league in 2009 and Philadelphia in 2010. It is the team from the City of Brotherly Love that is the most likely to have a sizable traveling group due in large part to its location.

The “Sons of Ben†fans group has been in place for several years despite having no team to support. A sizable and noisy Philly contingent even made the journey to Baltimore for the MLS draft in January.

The new phenomenon is causing the league to look closer than ever at not just the potential size of a new franchise’s fan base but also the type of fan it is likely to attract.

“There is a new energy in some of these new franchises and hopefully that can take some of these teams who have been struggling for a while and show them new ways of doing things,†Garber said. “It is not just because the market is a soccer market. They are doing things differently, and it issomething we are really looking into.â€

Just before council voted to go ahead and build BMO Field, Rob ford called the whole project "a sucker stadium", and that taxpayers were going to "loose their shirts". Well, so far so good. The stadium has turned a $1 million operating profit (half of that goes to the City) and it looks like it will be more less of the same for 2008.

16,000 season tickets sold, and over 5,000 on the season ticket waiting list. Last week over 2,500 fans made their way to Columbus where Toronto FC opened the 2008 season with a 2-0 loss to the Crew. The photo below is from last week in Columbus:

0329ajm_11.jpg

I've only been to one game and am looking to go again this season. For us non-season ticket holders what are the best resources for getting our hands on tickets?

Tickets go on sale to the public on Monday the 14th of April at 11:00 or 10:00 ...

There's a pre-sale today for season ticket holders, and people on the waiting list - but there's warnings out there there are only single seats available (no pairs). I'd be surprised if there is anything left at all by April 14th, except perhaps some very expensive singles.

Tomorrow's match should be good. Here's for another win.

And according to Richard Peddie, MLSE CEO, the season ticket waiting list is up to 7,000 now, which he estimates as roughly 14,000 season seats.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/06/14/torontofc-rapids.html

Toronto FC remains unbeaten at home

Home continues to be ever so sweet for Toronto FC as it cruised to a 3-1 win Saturday over the Colorado Rapids at BMO Field.

Rohan Ricketts netted the first two goals of his MLS career in the second half, while Danny Dichio opened the scoring with a brilliant volley in the first half for Toronto (6-4-2).

Christian Gomez spoiled the Toronto shutout with his third goal of the season on a free kick in the 80th minute for Colorado (5-6-0).

The second-year franchise has outscored its opponents 10-2 at home, where its record improves to 5-0-2. Toronto's last loss at BMO Field was Sept. 22, 2007, the third last game of their inaugural Major League Soccer season.

Perhaps more impressive is the fact that Toronto was missing five starters to international team duties, but still managed to put forth a strong effort.

Starting goalkeeper Greg Sutton and defender Jim Brennan are with the Canadian national team as they prepare to face St. Vincent and the Grenadines on Sunday in the first leg of a home-and-home qualifying series.

Midfielder Maurice Edu is with the U.S. national squad, which will face Barbados in a regional qualifier, defender Tyrone Marshall is with Jamaica, which is playing the Bahamas, and midfielder Amado Guevara is with the Honduran side for its game against Puerto Rico.

"That's great credit to the boys who have come in, they've worked long and hard for their chance to come in," Dichio said. "It's a hard situation, you're under a lot of pressure coming into a winning team at home."

Dichio at right place, right time
Missing some of their key defensive players, Toronto had some early breakdowns that gave Colorado some opportunities.

"That's probably the slowest we started at home," Toronto manager John Carver said. "Usually when you start a game so slowly you can't recover from it, but we seemed to weather the storm, and just grew into the game. And that's a sign of a team that doesn't give up and is prepared to fight to the end."

Jeff Cunningham, in search of his 100th MLS goal, nearly got it in the eighth minute. He managed to get his head on a cross in the Colorado box but it sailed just over the top of the net.

Cunningham had another great chance in the 30th minute as he squeezed past a pair of defenders for a chance but flicked the ball just wide left of the Colorado goal.

Dichio finally gave Toronto the lead as he capitalized on a poor defensive play from Colorado in the 37th minute.

As Rapids defender Stephen Keel attempted to clear the ball from the penalty box with a header it went right to Dichio at the top right corner of the box.

Toronto's leading goal scorer didn't hesitate, rifling a right-footed volley past Colorado 'keeper Preston Burpo and into the top left corner to stake his team to a 1-0 lead.

By the end of the half, Toronto had five shots on goal to the Rapids' two.

Ricketts notched his first MLS tally in the 58th minute. Toronto goalkeeper Brian Edwards sent a long pass to midfield that was misplayed by Colorado defender Cesar Zambrano, resulting in a wide open path to the goal for Ricketts.

The Toronto midfielder uncorked a hard low blast from 18 feet out that eluded Burpo and doubled the home team's lead to 2-0.

"Yesterday I was laying there and I was thinking, 'when am I going to score? Because I don't really score, and why is that when I'm so skillful?'" Ricketts said. "Now hopefully this is the beginning and I can score a few more goals."

Midfielder Laurent Robert nearly scored Toronto's third goal in the 66th minute on a free kick from the top of the box, but Burpo managed to deflect it off his left post and out.

Ricketts, who was acquired in April after he was released from English side Barnsley, struck again in the 66th minute with a quick shot from just inside the penalty area for a 3-0 Toronto advantage.

"I just felt free, like `I can't believe I scored,"' Ricketts said of his performance. "Especially the second one. I scored two goals in one game, I've never done that."

Gomez put Colorado on the board with his free kick that curved around the wall of defenders and past Edwards, who was making his third start of the season for Toronto.

That goal may have been too little, too late for Colorado, but Carver still wasn't pleased with it.

"I wanted to keep a clean sheet," Carver said. "We've got to be professional that when you take a commanding lead, drive it home and punish the opposition as much as you can."

Toronto will attempt to continue its roll at home when it hosts the Kansas City Wizards on June 21 (3:30 p.m., CBC, CBCSports.ca).

392dichio_danny080614cp.jpg

Toronto FC's Danny Dichio celebrates after scoring in the first half against the Colorado Rapids on Saturday. (Adrian Wyld/Canadian Press)

Was at the game, probably one of the best games at BMO this year.

Atmosphere, yet again was pretty much better than what any other sports team can offer in Toronto.

Finally a world class sport to embrace in this city.

Back