News   May 03, 2024
 281     0 

Northern Ontario Road Trip Part 2: Cobalt and Kirkland Lake

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
NOnt1.jpg

NOnt2.jpg

Cobalt has a real ghost town feel to it. It had a boom early in the 20th century fuelled by a Silver rush, its population was over 10,000, now a population almost one-tenth that. It's heritage preservation is excellent, many buildings from the rush remain, including a huge railway station for its current size, mine shaftheads and other buildings.

NOnt3.jpg

NOnt4.jpg

NOnt5.jpg

NOnt6.jpg

NOnt7.jpg

NOnt8.jpg

NOnt9.jpg

NOnt10.jpg

NOnt11.jpg

NOnt12.jpg

NOnt13.jpg

NOnt14.jpg

NOnt15.jpg

NOnt16.jpg

NOnt17.jpg

NOnt18.jpg

NOnt19.jpg

To the north, Haileybury and New Liskeard feel much more like southern Ontario towns. Highway 11B is four lanes through much of it.

NOnt20.jpg

NOnt21.jpg

At New Liskeard and about 45 minutes to the north is the Great Clay Belt, a break in the Canadian Shield where there is a large agricultural industry. But saw mills and rock hills in the distance serve to remind you where you are.

NOnt22.jpg

NOnt23.jpg

NOnt24.jpg

NOnt25.jpg

Entering Kirkland Lake, population 8,248, which many Torontonians know due to the controversial plan to ship garbage to an old surface mine. Kirkland Lake is one of Ontario's fastest-shrinking communities (its 1996 population was 10,000), but has a very interesting main street.

NOnt26.jpg

NOnt27.jpg

NOnt28.jpg

NOnt29.jpg

NOnt30.jpg

NOnt31.jpg

NOnt32.jpg

NOnt33.jpg

NOnt34.jpg

NOnt35.jpg

NOnt36.jpg

NOnt37.jpg

NOnt38.jpg

NOnt39.jpg

NOnt40.jpg

NOnt41.jpg

NOnt42.jpg

NOnt43.jpg

NOnt44.jpg

NOnt45.jpg

NOnt46.jpg

On the way out, spotted a bear. Bear sightings are common due to the dry summer. McDonald's, Tim Horton's and other food places are more appealing with a lack of berries this year.

NOnt47.jpg

NOnt48.jpg

Gold surface mine.

NOnt49.jpg

Next set will be Timmins. Interesting Big Green Sign assembly in the middle of nowhere, I guess to draw attention to the 101/11 split where 101 goes straight.

NOnt50.jpg

When I was last in Kirkland Lake several years ago, it seemed to be one of the most run-down and desolate towns I had ever been in, at least in Canada. There were a number of empty storefronts in the central business area, and a general air of shabbiness. It seemed clear that the town's best days, literally the "gold rush" days, were behind it.

Thanks again for a good set of pictures.

But downtown Kirkland Lake makes for one heck of a Deco District. (It also seems tied in to how I'd imagine a lot of mining communities in Michigan's N Peninsula or Minnesota's Mesabi Range might look like.)

Maybe Charlie Angus can set some urban gentrification into play here...

Cool stuff, I'm looking froward to the rest of your pics. Too bad you didn't go through North Bay though (my place of residence).

ST: Again good roadtrip pics!

ST; Good Cobalt and Kirkland Lake pics! In Cobalt that RR Station is neat and isn't Kirkland Lake Alan Thicke's home town BTW? I'm enjoying the pics! LI MIKE

Back