Next Mayor of Toronto? | Page 3

Discussion in 'Politics (Toronto Issues)' started by taal, Dec 9, 2008.

1. voxpopulicosmicum

voxpopulicosmicum Senior Member

Royson James is such a reactionary douchebag (and an atrocious writer).

Also, does anyone else take offense to the claim that Pinball Clemons is somehow politically comparable to Barack Obama? Why does Royson James have no shame?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008

2. theman23

theman23 Active Member

Agreed on everything said regarding Royson James.

3. jswag

jswag Active Member

Paul Bedford is currently serving on the Metrolinx board, FYI. I don't know what else he's up to.

I would agree with the general sentiment here that Miller has done a decent job, but we could do with someone a little more moderate than him. I remember last election he was seen as unbeatable, is he now? I could see any sort of former Liberal presenting a strong challenge to him.

4. adma

adma Superstar

Well, not exactly the John Nunziata sort...

5. voxpopulicosmicum

voxpopulicosmicum Senior Member

Two Liberals whose names have been dropped in the past:

1. He was rumoured to have been considering a run last time, but now that Stephen LeDrew and his bowtie have become a CP24 fixture, maybe he'll actually take the plunge this time. It would ast least give CRA a paycheque to garnish.

2. Wasn't Dennis Mills supposed to be unbeatable -- a Catholic Mel Lastman without the hairplugs and troublesome bastard children -- at least according to the rumour mill circa 2004? Wa'happen?

6. junctionist

junctionist Senior Member

That's good to hear that it's not rare. But I meant that it was hard to think of a prominent candidate with such views right now. Hopefully you know of one ;).

7. Whoaccio

Whoaccio Senior Member

I've always wondered how well an appointed mayor would work like in the Netherlands. Anti-democratic issues aside, i could see some positive upsides. For one, very few people care about municipal elections (sad reality), if part of the PMO or Premier's job was to appoint mayors it would probably boost voter turnout. Second, it would be neat to have either Harper or McGuinty be forced to take a stance on urban issues by giving them the responsibility to select a mayor. It would probably also give us a higher caliber of politician (i.e. actual federal cabinet ministers instead of former school board trustees).

8. Mustapha

Mustapha Senior Member

But what about former school trustees who became federal cabinet ministers who came up for selection for Toronto mayor?:D

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  9. CDL.TO

CDL.TO Moderator

Considered a run in 2006? He did run! Got 8,078 votes, or 1.4%. Even Enza Anderson managed to get 13,595 votes back in 2000.

10. waterloowarrior

waterloowarrior Senior Member

Paul Bedford would be awesome...

I think we should be looking for a Toronto native, perhaps a conservative to mix things up a bit. They would preferably have a background in economics to help fix the City's finances, and will have worked for a major think tank. Leadership experience would be an asset, especially in higher levels of government.

Can't really think of anyone at the moment.

11. CDL.TO

CDL.TO Moderator

Well played. That would be just too damn funny.

12. jaycola

jaycola Active Member

Rocco Rossi?

I read recently that Rocco Rossi, campaign Manager for John Tory's failed mayoral bid and CEO of the Heart and Stroke Foundation is considering a run at Toronto's top post. I know little about the man or his "vision" but I think he might have some of the tools needed to run the city.

13. Moonmoth

Moonmoth Active Member

Miller is running again and will be winning again. Then Giambrone will continue Miller's legacy.

14. adma

adma Superstar

Hmm. Harper selecting a mayor for Toronto. Ought to go over well. Yup--sure oughta...

15. unimaginative2

unimaginative2 Senior Member

I actually known a bunch of people who work for Smitherman, and they can't stop raving about how great the guy is to work for.